Scab on beardie's lip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceesbeards

My beardie, Fluffy, who's about 5 1/2 years old and on the whole in good health, has developed a scab on one lip which spread to the other one. It looks a lot like a scab on a human being, not like some fungal infection.
He does not experience a loss of appetite, presence of pus, drainage, lethargy, petechia, excessive saliva, or frequent gaping, which are all listed as signs of mouth rot.
He does not act abnormal, except that he licks his lips very frequently, like a human with chapped lips. It does appear to be slightly harder to part his lips (which I had to do to take the reference photos.) The scabs don't appear to have spread to the inner parts of his mouth. When he sheds on his lips the scabs do go, but will reappear. Again, the scab started on one lip and then spread to the other. We have taken him to the vet awhile back, who said nothing was wrong, but the scab has not gone away and I'm unconvinced.
Here's the reference photos. The angrier-looking, more prevalent scab, has been there longer.
full

full

full

full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, your pics don't show up. Here's how to post them here :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

The best thing you can put on any wound is raw [ unpasteurized ] honey. Use it several times a day, it's a natural antimicrobial. Just be sure there are no loose bugs in the tank.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Your photos didn't show up, but my main concern with what you're describing is that you said that she developed a scab on one lip "which spread to the other"...Scabs don't "spread", either they get a scab because there was some kind of wound on both lips, or if it actually did "spread" from one lip to the other, then it is not actually a "scab", but some type of infection, most likely a fungal infection.

There are a ton of different types of fungi that they can get that cause external infections, especially around mucous membranes like their mouth, nostrils, eyes, ears, and vent, the mouth being the most common. So if it did in fact start on one lip and then appear on the other lip some time after that, then she's most likely got some type of fungal and/or bacterial infection that needs to be properly treated with the correct medication, especially if it's a fungal infection because a lot of different factors cause pretty much all fungal infections to spread, such as moisture from a bath.

Try to post the photos of her mouth again using the directions AHBD posted above, you have to use the "User Image Uploader" in the top toolbar to first upload all of the photos you want to post to your account. Once you get them all uploaded, then post a reply, and when the reply message box appears then you click on the "XIMG" button just above the message box to insert each photo wherever the cursor is in the box. Try to get a good close-up of the area in question...

ceesbeards

Original Poster
@AHBD and EllenD
I've uploaded the photos. I took Fluffy to a doctor a while back (a little less than a year), he still had the scab/infection/suspicious grody bit then, but the doc said nothing was wrong. Fungal infection sounds likely, so perhaps I should take him again? It's definitely gotten worse, although it seems no more than a minor annoyance to him right now, so why tempt the fates.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can get some betadine, water it down to look like iced tea and apply it with a Q-tp. After it dries put some raw [ unpasteurized] honey on it several times a day.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I want to make sure I understand what's going on here...So it's on his lips on both sides, that's what you meant by "spreading", not that it was on his upper lip and then spread to the lower, or vice versa?

Is he in shed? It very much looks like his head/face/beard may be in shed right now or have just shed on both sides. If so, then this is very likely a result of the shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom