Say no to Dubias?

Thumper's dad

My beardie will be a year old next month. While he loves to eat his dandelion greens, mealworms, and hornworms, he has decided he doesn't love Dubia roaches as much recently. Over the past couple of weeks, he went from eating at least 10-15 roaches a day to now eating a handful, if we are lucky. Otherwise, he seems to be fine and healthy. We feed him roaches once every other day and mealworms every day, as a snack.

Is this sudden lack of interest in roaches due to his age or could there be something else going on?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Their preferences change all the time, going from juvenile to adult also they tend to not eat as much. If I were you I’d back off on the mealworms and hornworms and see if the dragon starts eating more Dubai again but I’m sure there’s no reason for concern like I said their preferences change. Me personally would rather be putting more Dubai then meal worms or hornworms.

Thumper's dad

Original Poster
I agree with you about not feeding him too many worms. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens if we cut back the worms. I want so much worried as much as I was curious. Thanks for your input!

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Their preferences change all the time, going from juvenile to adult also they tend to not eat as much. If I were you I’d back off on the mealworms and hornworms and see if the dragon starts eating more Dubai again but I’m sure there’s no reason for concern like I said their preferences change. Me personally would rather be putting more Dubai then meal worms or hornworms.
I agree about preference changes that is why I switch up on my greens weekly. But mines got like this from crickets to Dubai which I was happy about cuz crickets stink and die quick

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Yep crickets suck lol not to mention the illnesses they carry and parasites. Smartest thing I’ve done in regards to the reptiles was start a dubia colony man the money I’ve saved.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I agree about preference changes that is why I switch up on my greens weekly. But mines got like this from crickets to Dubai which I was happy about cuz crickets stink and die quick
Mine hasn’t touched her greens in like two weeks I’m not sure why she’s ate greens since she was a baby

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Mine hasn’t touched her greens in like two weeks I’m not sure why she’s ate greens since she was a baby
Mines took a 3-4mo hiatus. Per his vet I only feed him bugs twice a week now and bee pollen. But they never get the same thing in terms of greens. Last week it was kale and this week is collards an/or Swiss chard.

KarmaMoon

Beardie name(s)
Nova
I have spoken to a Beardie breeder. As they get older they need to migrate to more veg. I was having the same issue mine didn't want to touch the greens. What she told me and worked.
In the AM only offer and leave a plate of greens. Sprinkle it with Bee Pollen. Dragons apparently LOVE it.
In the afternoon give Bugs but don't over do it, So the next morning they will be hungry and dive in to the greens.

KarmaMoon

Beardie name(s)
Nova
My beardie will be a year old next month. While he loves to eat his dandelion greens, mealworms, and hornworms, he has decided he doesn't love Dubia roaches as much recently. Over the past couple of weeks, he went from eating at least 10-15 roaches a day to now eating a handful, if we are lucky. Otherwise, he seems to be fine and healthy. We feed him roaches once every other day and mealworms every day, as a snack.

Is this sudden lack of interest in roaches due to his age or could there be something else going on?

Dubia Roaches = Broccoli W/7.70 Fat
Meal Worms = Pizza W/13.06 Fat
Hornworms = Pear (Good for Hydration)

If I could eat nothing but Pizza & Candy I would, instead of Broccoli.
So Limiting the other things to once or twice a week to make him eat dubias more will not hurt them.
They will eat what they have Infront of them if hungry enough.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
They definitely will eat what’s in front of them if hungry enough. Mines would sneak and eat the greens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom