Savannah Monitor Ate a Piece of Plastic....!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
I forgot to mention: I gave him some olive oil and he ate a couple of superworms. This happened half an hour ago, so I haven't fed him his meals yet. That's why I only gave him a couple of superworms. He has been active and licking everything, moving around. The plastic was maybe the size of a penny. He is not a full-grown monitor; he is only a foot long so far.

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
It's okay to give him olive oil, then? I wasn't 100% certain because bearded dragons are so vastly different from savannah monitors. I know this may seem a little impatient and foolish, but how long do you think it will take to come out? I am going on a short 1 1/2 day trip; is that fine? Do I need to cancel it? He will still be offered water during that trip, but not superworms nor any other kind of pellets or foods. I assume that is fine...? I would feed him as soon as I got home, and feed him a little more the day before.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How long have you had him and can you post pic of him to show his size and a pic of his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Will you have his lights on a timer ? You definitely want to be sure you have a basking spot at about 120 , especially now to help him digest properly. Don't give him many superworms or hard shelled insects until he passes it. He's young so should pass it pretty quickly.

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
I have had him for 2 years; I know, he is way too small for that, but I got him when I was younger and didn't know the best diet for him, only having had bearded dragons. Now, he is growing really fast because I have him on debatably the best diet he can be on. I got him at a local pet store (this was a small scale one) along with Lili Ann, his cagemate. Pax is probably a girl, mind. I just haven't gotten used to calling her that. Oh; superworms he shouldn't eat? How about Repashy meat pie? I don't have any Dubia roaches right now; they will come in a week, about. I guess he's still relatively young, yes, being a species that can live 10-15 years. I guess he's 15 or 20, maybe even 12 or something in human years. Yes, I have his lights on a timer, though my mother can turn on and off the lights if there was a problem (she will supply him with water and check-ups during the trip). I have his basking spot at about 110; is that fine? I don't think I can make a trip to the pet store, but if I really have to I will.

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
Here is the picture; I had just given him a superworm (I know) because he is scared of cameras and kept hiding (that really wouldn't show you him very well). I have him in a way smaller cage because his actual cage is a substrate and I want to be able to find his poop easy. Also, I wouldn't know whether the poop belonged to Lili Ann (cagemate) or him.

108336-5221119886.jpg

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I ate a piece of a Walmart plastic bag on purpose once. (I was a really stupid 16 year old.) Hopefully this will be dissolved in stomach acid.

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
That...is stupid, okay. I'm not as necessarily scared for her survival as I am just nervous that she might be going through pain.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some of us do dumb things as kids, I ate dry dogfood to see what it tasted like [ yuk ] and a very small pebble. :) So I forgot to ask if the plastic was a hard piece or from a plastic bag ? If it was a bag then there's going to be pretty much no effect at all. A hard piece [ like from a milk jug or toy ] COULD cause discomfort but not much. BTW, have you actually measured Pax to see his true length ? He looks bigger than a foot. And they do need higher temps., get it up to 120 on the hot side. Don't leave him in a small tank, you won't be able to get a good heat gradient .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom