Sarth, Daeds, & Starling **5/28 First Camping Trip Pics!**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured I would post some pics of Sarth...even though he hasn't been eating very well the past month he still finds every opportunity to be cute! I think I might just keep adding pics to this thread along with my blog, we will see!

The most recent ones are at the top.

I thought this was adorable...he was kind of lounging against the glass, looking at me like "what?!"
P1010416.jpg

Just trying out a close-up of his face...it's hard to get good pics during the weekdays when the sun is going down by the time I get home
P1010415.jpg

Scoping out his rearranged tank
P1010413.jpg

Morning stretches, as usual :)
P1010408.jpg

Him looking *really* grumpy sitting in the sun on the back of our recliner. And I put his tail like that, lol
P1010403.jpg

My husband took this :roll:
P1010399.jpg

A rare shot of him actually eating his salad
P1010397.jpg

Watching Glee with me!
4f7abf91.jpg

He loves to explore the coffee table, not sure why
802855e6.jpg

I did not put him like this, lol. I should have entered it in this months photo competition!
P1010388.jpg

Him still being really mad from the vet's visit the night before. He looked so hilarious, all puffed up with the black beard. I started petting him and he deflated while managing to look confused.
grumpy.jpg

Just looking cute. This was right around when he stopped eating about a month ago.
P1010334.jpg

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":11b7krdx said:
I can sure understand getting really busy over summertime, especially helping with a wedding but you sure made up for your absence with those beautiful pictures. Your crew look so good, sorry to hear that Scully is still limping, I could see some weakness when she was standing at the campground. You're doing all you can for her, would she need more calcium maybe? And loved the video with the bee pollen, yummy! She sure loves it! Good for her, so many good things in bee pollen.

So do you now take her back to the vet to have her checked out again? It's a shame for her to be limping at such a young age. :( Lonzo is losing the use of his left front arm, but then he's 10 yrs old and my vet told me it's all old age. Scully is still so young, is there nothing the vet can do for her? Wish I had a magic wand to go with her wings (they are awesome, by the way) to make her better.

So Sarth has decided to hit the hide? So has Leo and Rubio is starting to do the same. Leo never sleeps in his hide, he just sits in there with eyes wide open, silly boy. So because of that I get him out of there every morning and put him under his basking light. He'll stay there for awhile and I give him baths as usual and calcium vit/min, too. Until he shows he wants to sleep, he'll get the same morning treatment. He & Didi are like yo-yos in the winter, up and down, up and down, sleep for a couple of days, back up again. Rubio, though, sleeps for a few months solid. Lonzo isn't allowed to sleep because his right lung never did function again, he doesn't mind, he just goes to bed earlier. Titan and Gabriel, not sure what they'll do this winter. Gabriel is 2 1/2 but never slept last winter, will see what he's up to this weekend.

I really enjoyed all the pictures, especially at the camp. Scully sure looks like she had a great time. And Daeds got through the whole summer without eggs? That's great! She looks great, too. Loved Sarth's beard.

So don't feel bad if you can't get on there, life gets busy sometimes!
I probably will take Sculls back for a check up soon. My vet is on maternity leave for a bit longer I think, lol. I've just been giving her normal calcium levels per the vet - since the blood tests came back good she didn't want to give her too much and overdo it. Poor thing, sometimes I'll put my hand under her belly for support and she'll walk around then for a little bit. She can hold herself up but she doesn't really put much weight at all on the left foot, and after awhile she'll get tired and put her chest back on the ground.

We did have a fun day today, I brought Scully in to work and she got a bunch of attention and pics taken by my co-workers. She spent pretty much all day basking in the sun coming through my window. When we got home she almost immediately went into her hide, then she fell asleep on me a bit later.

Yea Sarth tends to crash for about 3 weeks at a time, then he might wake up and peep his head out of his hide without actually coming out. I need to take him out for a bath today at some point since he ate 3 horns earlier this week and never pooped.

Glad you all liked the pics :)

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
A little update! Cold weather has finally made it's way to MN, so I haven't been able to take the girls out since last week :( It's been chilly and rainy these past 4 days. One of the last times I took the girls out yesterday they had a great time. Scully was moving around pretty well. She got a bit upset at Daeds when Daeds went for a leaf and accidentally rammed her head into Scully! I had to go break them up since Sculls decided she wasn't going to take that from Daeds :roll: No harm done though. For the most part since Scully has laid her eggs she has been getting along great with Daeds again.

Sarth is still sleeping, although he occasionally opens his eyes so he can check out what's going on.

The girls also seem to be reacting to the weather, losing some interest in their greens, but they still eat their veggies and I'm still giving both bee pollen and liquid calcium, while Scully is also getting some serrapeptase. I ordered a fresh thing of liquid multi-vits from Cheryl along with some milk thistle stuff that's supposed to help out with inflammation, so we'll see how that goes.
Oh also one of Scully's bad nails that she wore down from that bad lay fell off in the bath a few days ago :( It must have been dead because it wasn't growing back at all, so it was probably only a matter of time.

I'll be bringing both girls to the vet soon, for fecals since they were outside so much this summer and for an updated prognosis on Scully. Should hopefully be the end of this month when my vet is working again.

A couple fun things coming up! Nate and I are doing family photo shoot with our dog and the lizards on the 20th, which I am really excited for! We're gonna make one of the pics our Christmas card, first one we've ever done! Should be interesting, Nate is probably going to have to hold Sarth and we won't be able to have him in most of the pictures, but should still be fun :)

Also for Halloween I'm having a custom Daenerys costume made, and I have the wings for both Daeds and Scully to be my dragons. If it looks really good I might find a costume contest to enter.

Anyway here are a few pics!

Here are some of the girls rampaging around the top of the couch. I had just brought them from a long day outside so they had lots of energy.
IMAG0178_zps2e0026be.jpg

IMAG0179_zps323ce63c.jpg

IMAG0180_zps44ab4430.jpg

IMAG0181_zps452b9084.jpg

IMAG0182_zps9d407d8a.jpg

Nate found this little guy outside in our backyard. He was super cute! I named him Tigger, but I wasn't aloud to keep him :( although Nate said if we found him again I could keep him through the winter, lol. Apparently in captivity these guys can live for 20+ years.
IMAG0153_zpsf0744e25.jpg

IMAG0155_zps8da6ceec.jpg

Scully gets really excited now when she sees me coming with the bee pollen bottle :)
IMAG0156_zps195fa2b5.jpg

I'll be back in a couple weeks with photo shoot pics!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Those pictures turned out so well, love the one with Scully scooting over Daeds head :lol: and the one with Daeds face right in the camera.

What type of lizard is that, it's so cute! Too bad you can't keep it.

Hope to see a pic of the costumes when the time comes, can't believe it's mid Oct next week already!

Hope the vet visit goes well, no parasites & that Scully's leg is getting better. I use Serrepeptase all the time, Lonzo get is a few times a week & now Titan gets it daily. Titan had a biopsy on Friday to determine what exactly he has, as this skin irritation (for want of a better word) is not bacterial, we think it's fungal & hopefully not Yellow Fungus. So again he's in quarantine, he's getting covered with an anti-fungal cream daily now & I've stopped the antibiotic shots he was getting as it seems to make the skin irritation worse.

I have 2 dragons bromating now, Leo and Didi; Gabriel and Rubio are thinking about it & Lonzo and Titan aren't allowed, so they all go to bed early instead.

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, it's good that your girls are getting along again. And so glad that no more eggs.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Hey Jen! Everyone looks good! :)

You need to post pictures once you have your family photo shoot... That sounds so cute! I've always wanted to get pet portraits done, LOL.

Where is everyone finding these salamanders?! I've lived next to a river for 13 years and I've NEVER seen one before, but every other Minnesotan finds them. They are adorable little guys!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I thought that was a salamander but thought they had to be in water, guess I need to do some research. Did you put him back outside yet, Jen?

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey Jess! Yea no worries, I'll put pics of the photoshoot up here and on FB too ;) How is Dudders? I miss him!

Yes that is a tiger salamander, and I did let him go shortly after Nate caught him. I did some research, interestingly enough the adult salamanders don't really require an aquatic habitat, just some deep dirt for digging, some hides, and a water dish for soaking. The younger ones do need the water though. Judging by the size of this guy I'm going to assume he was in the adult phase of his life.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I miss seeing your little guys too! We need to meet up some time :)

And he is doing ok, he is in a weird semi-brumation hpase right now... He never actually wants to move, but he is still interested in his bugs lol.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Jess":3b8gyfad said:
I miss seeing your little guys too! We need to meet up some time :)

And he is doing ok, he is in a weird semi-brumation hpase right now... He never actually wants to move, but he is still interested in his bugs lol.
Yea Sarth is in a weird phase now too. I woke him up the day before pictures and he was pretty perky for a few days, now he just lays behind his branch or near his basking rock but doesn't go on it. I've put him in front of his hide a few times but he refuses to go in there, lol. I guess he just prefers to grumpily peer at everyone who walks by.

Scully seems to be doing a bit better walking, so that's encouraging. I have a vet appt set up for Saturday morning for both her and Daedles. Just general check up and fecals too since they spent so much time outside eating random bugs and plants.

Anyway the photo shoot went well! We just missed the rain luckily but unfortunately it was chilly :( I kept Sarth in his little carrier with a heat pack while we walked around the park. Got lots of good pics, hopefully I'll be able to post a little teaser link to her blog this week :)

Last Sunday was the Sunday I wish we did the pictures! It was warmish and sunny with no wind. I brought the girls out in the front while Nate and I were raking leaves up and they were loving it. I got a couple cute pics of Scully in the leaves, I finally found a new background for my computer, replacing the one of Scully in my anniversary flowers from over a year ago, lol!

Find the dragon!
P1020259_zps787746c8.jpg

She quickly became unimpressed
P1020260_zps0e900323.jpg

Those will probably be the last pics until the photo shoot ones! If there's any good updates from the vet I will post them :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Please do. Sarth is doing what he did last winter, too, I remember you saying how grumpy he was, but he'll go back to sleep and then wake up the lovable dragon he really is :lol:

Hopefully good news with the fecals & the vet visit!

Love the leaf pictures, Scully wasn't amused for long I see, funny girl. Glad she's walking better, hopefully full recovery soon!

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Back from the vet today. Got some not so good news unfortunately. We did an x-ray so the vet could get a better look at Scully's right front leg (the swollen one she has trouble walking on) and the left back leg, which as you know has been pretty much swollenish since her fist lay this year, but when we compared these x-rays today from the ones in July they are both worse. The vet was worried that we have some kind of infection going on, so she gave an injection of ceftazidime, which apparently is similar to baytril but much better. I have to give that to her every 3 days. I also got some metronidazole in fluid form to give her once a day for 14 days. We're scheduled to go in two Thursdays from now once we're done with the ceftazidime to see if the antibiotics are having any effect.
We weren't able to get a stool sample from Scully but I did bring a bag of some chilled Daeds poo in for a fecal. Should hear about Scully's blood work on Tuesday.
The vet did assure me that the fat deposits will take a long long time to dissipate, so at least I know why she isn't really losing any weight despite being on the new diet :)

Anyway that's the vet update. On to happier news, we DID get our preview of our photo shoot! The few pics I got are great, can't wait to get the full gallery!

The crew. Taken before the girls noticed Sarth and Sarth noticed the girls, lol!
PB2A7472_zps251cbd0b.jpg

Girls by the Minnehaha Falls. Scully looking at an invisible bird.
PB2A7527_zpsd79a5097.jpg

PB2A7518_zps7efe065a.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm sorry to hear about Scully's legs, hopefully it is an infection and the antibiotics will do the trick. And hopefully the blood work is all to the good. They take so long to heal.

The pics are great! I especially liked the one of the three of them and Scully looking up at the invisible bird!

Good luck in two weeks at the vet.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Deb :) So here's the update I got from the vet today. I take it as a mixed bag:

Some of Scully's white blood counts were low, and the vet said that reinforced her thought that it was a bacterial infection, most likely osteomyelitis. So we're sticking with the antibiotic regiment. I noticed Scully already seemed to be walking a little better when I was watching her yesterday :shock: We'll check back with the vet on the 14th, and she said if things are looking good we'll continue with the antibiotics for another month and that should clear it up.
So basically we're hoping for a full recovery here! I'm pretty excited, but I know it's still going to be a long process, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much. There seem to be differing opinions on whether or not osteomyelitis is curable or not. The one thread I seemed to find on the boards here about someone's beardie who had it seemed like he made a full recovery, although he had it in his mouth and not his legs. My vet also thinks the antibiotics will take care of it.

Here's hoping at least :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
At least you have a diagnosis and a treatment, so hopefully this will get rid of the infection and she'll be back to normal. Poor Scully, but you have such a good mom to take such good care of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom