Sarth, Daeds, & Starling **5/28 First Camping Trip Pics!**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured I would post some pics of Sarth...even though he hasn't been eating very well the past month he still finds every opportunity to be cute! I think I might just keep adding pics to this thread along with my blog, we will see!

The most recent ones are at the top.

I thought this was adorable...he was kind of lounging against the glass, looking at me like "what?!"
P1010416.jpg

Just trying out a close-up of his face...it's hard to get good pics during the weekdays when the sun is going down by the time I get home
P1010415.jpg

Scoping out his rearranged tank
P1010413.jpg

Morning stretches, as usual :)
P1010408.jpg

Him looking *really* grumpy sitting in the sun on the back of our recliner. And I put his tail like that, lol
P1010403.jpg

My husband took this :roll:
P1010399.jpg

A rare shot of him actually eating his salad
P1010397.jpg

Watching Glee with me!
4f7abf91.jpg

He loves to explore the coffee table, not sure why
802855e6.jpg

I did not put him like this, lol. I should have entered it in this months photo competition!
P1010388.jpg

Him still being really mad from the vet's visit the night before. He looked so hilarious, all puffed up with the black beard. I started petting him and he deflated while managing to look confused.
grumpy.jpg

Just looking cute. This was right around when he stopped eating about a month ago.
P1010334.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Good luck at the vet, it's a bit worrying that her back leg isn't healing and that her tail isn't up as it normally is. Will hope for good news from the vet, let us know how she fares and what you think of the new one.

That pic of Daeds on the bed is priceless, the look on her face...she looks determined that she will keep her place, Scully or no Scully :mrgreen:

I'm glad they got along for the most part, but what a drag that there was no good weather so they could be outside.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":1px0sv8f said:
Good luck at the vet, it's a bit worrying that her back leg isn't healing and that her tail isn't up as it normally is. Will hope for good news from the vet, let us know how she fares and what you think of the new one.

That pic of Daeds on the bed is priceless, the look on her face...she looks determined that she will keep her place, Scully or no Scully :mrgreen:

I'm glad they got along for the most part, but what a drag that there was no good weather so they could be outside.
Well Scully had a stressful first vet appointment! The vet looked at her and almost right away said it looked like she was showing signs of MBD due to her musculature. I was like :shock: and wondered how that could even be possible since she's always gotten her dusted feeders. The drew some blood (she hated that) and did a calcium phosphate or something panel. Thankfully that came back with everything mostly in balance. He said it was slightly off but nothing worrying, so gave me some stuff called Neo-Calglucon which I'm to give her once a day until it's out. He felt her belly pretty well and confirmed he didn't feel any calcified eggs or anything else suspicious. As far as the swelling, he said to give it about 3 weeks.
All in all I'm on the fence with this vet. Not exactly pleased the first thing he jumped to was MBD, talk about freaking me out in no time at all! If I need to do a follow-up I'll probably go back to the vet I took Daeds to who I liked from the get-go, despite the drive!

Not too much besides that I guess. Although poor Scully woke up this morning with more gas, maybe due to her new meds? Poor thing. She seems better, now she just feels bloated instead of stiff belly. I'll have to give her a nice warm bath later!

We have this beautiful tree in our front yard that has white blooming flowers. I've been waiting for it to get sunny since it bloomed, but it never happened and all the flowers are gone :/ Luckily I decided to get Scully out for a few quick pics anyway! It was difficult, she kept trying to eat the damn leaves and flowers :lol:

"I see food"

Scully noooo!

She did manage to snag one leaf and part of a flower. I got the flower out of her mouth but she did get the leaf down her throat. Maybe that could be causing the tummy upset, although that was on Wednesday. Either way a bath will do her good I think :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I have a 20-30 min ride to my vet and I wouldn't change her for anyone else. She has 2 other vets that work with her and 1 is also good with dragons, so I do the drive anyway. So I think you'll be better off to get her to your original vet, even if it is a drive, just to be with someone comfortable. She does not have MBD, how he could think that I don't know. She's having reactions from the egg laying, which is not unheard of, but glad he did a panel on her, it's the blood calcium level that you want normal in any of those tests, liver & kidney function and the like, as those are all affected by egg laying. Just make sure she gets extra calcium, powder on her feeders and liquid calcium besides, as those eggs will suck the calcium out of her bones if she doesn't have any in reserve. That's what happened to Sweetie, so that's what you have to be careful about. I'm just hoping that she's done with the egg laying! That would be a relief!

So after the meds you'll take her to your regular vet and tell him of your concerns? That would be the best thing to do.

Loved the pics of the flowers and Scully, makes such a great pictures and I especially liked the one with her tongue out "Why can't I eat the pretty flowers, Mom?" :lol: I bought a flat of impatients for Rubio and Gabriel, as they love them and they're ok for dragons.

If you want to check on flowers/leaves/plants they can eat, there's a list at the bottom of the nutrition chard at www.beautifuldragons.com.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yea I think I will bring her back to my usual vet once she's done with this medication. We are leaving for Mexico for a short 5-day trip in a couple weeks, so probably once we're back from that. We also recently found out our dog has hypothyroidism, so it's been an expensive pet-care month :roll:

Oh that is very cool about the flowers! I'll have to get a little planter box of those maybe, I know Scully would go nuts in there! I just brought her back from being outside for a bit where she was grazing on the dandelions. Accidentally gave her a little scare when I went to pick her up and bring her back in, she spun around and hissed at me :lol: Then I slowly slid my hand under her and picked her up and she was like, oh, hey mom!

Since it's decent out I think I'll bring her along to the bar today. Last time we went the weather was a bit volatile so I left her home, and our server was like "Awe, no dragon today?". Love that place and the people who work there :lol:

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
We finally had a nice day yesterday, and good thing too because we spent the first half of it outside at a disc golf tournament. I brought Scully this year and she was a big hit with everyone. The guys who hosted the tournament even took some video and pics of her for their newsletter. :lol:

Unfortunately it seems like she's getting ready to lay another clutch -_- Today she has been racing around the house all day and leaving little poo presents every so often. Poor thing is going to have to be all cooped up for a week when we leave :/ Fortunately she shouldn't be ready to actually lay until we get back. Glad I kept that bucket of sand. I'll have to let my friend know to let her out when she comes over to feed them. Guess I'll keep on giving her the liquid calcium!

Anyway here are some pics from yesterday!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Looks like Scully enjoyed herself and she wore her bling, awwww. Great pictures, looks like she was enjoying that beer :lol: Sorry to hear she may be having another clutch, yes, continue the liquid calcium. Have a great trip to Mexico & hopefully she waits for you to get back before laying. Don't you just love those little poo presents all over the house :mrgreen:

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Wow well it's been 19 days since my last update! Quite a bit has happened, the biggest of which was Scully laid *39* eggs WHILE we were still in Mexico!! And of course she did it in between my friend's daily visits...so she laid them all in her tank :/ She screwed up her back leg again and almost 2 weeks later the swelling is just finally starting to SLOWLY go back down. Ugh.

Hmm besides that...Weather hasn't been great here :(

Daeds is good, a little chunky from her horn worm diet while we were on vacation :roll: so she's on a veggie diet now!

Sartharion weighed in at 526g today! He's finally fleshing into a nice big boy :D The horns and supers I've been throwing at him probably have something to do with that :lol: He eats his greens for the most part too!

Anyway I'm heading to my home away from home in San Diego next week, so the crew get to hang out with dad for a few days!

So here are some pics! Scully first then Sarth!

Sleeping in my clean laundry

Sarthy!

Sees himself in the mirror. Grrr tough guy!

Fat little tummy!

That's pretty much all I have for now!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wow, 39 eggs, and while you were gone, which you were hoping to avoid. Hope you had a great trip, though. Have you had her leg seen to? That's not really normal for it to swell when she has eggs, can you get her seen by your vet? The pics are great, as usual, the 2nd pic is so cute, so the girls are getting along again? That's great news. Sarth looks so manly with his beard puffed out, it's so funny to see their reaction when they see themselves. "Who is that dragon you've let into my house! GRRRR!"

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":27ukzd9l said:
Wow, 39 eggs, and while you were gone, which you were hoping to avoid. Hope you had a great trip, though. Have you had her leg seen to? That's not really normal for it to swell when she has eggs, can you get her seen by your vet? The pics are great, as usual, the 2nd pic is so cute, so the girls are getting along again? That's great news. Sarth looks so manly with his beard puffed out, it's so funny to see their reaction when they see themselves. "Who is that dragon you've let into my house! GRRRR!"
I was PM'ing back and forth with Tracie last weekend about Scully's leg. She was saying it could be gout, but given that it happened when she started laying and the fact that it seemed to be getting better pointed more towards a pulled tendon. Especially this time she would have been digging in her tank against the hard substrate, I'm sure that really inflamed what ever problem she had before :( But yes if it doesn't seem to get better I'll be taking her to my old vet and will probably get a blood test and maybe an x-ray done.

And the girls, I dunno, most of the time they are fine. I did have to break up a little tiff they were having outside last week though. Daeds jumped off the chair and was exploring the deck, Scully decided she didn't like that so started head bobbing, then jumped down after her and jumped on her :roll: Then after that I had them both back on the chair and they were fine. Who knows? I think Scully is just a bit territorial, lol!

Yes Mexico was wonderful. I miss the beach and sun already. I'll get more if it in San Diego at least. Too bad I can't take Sculls with, but I do get to play with my mom's cute little turtles :D

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Figured I would give everyone a quick update on Scully -

I finally got her into the vet today - my good vet! I saw a different Dr than usual, but she was great. She actually does reptile home calls, and I had been considering giving her a call, but it looks like she works part time at this clinic, so that worked out!

More or less, I noticed last week Scully had stopped putting weight on her front left foot. Since this was a new symptom I was pretty concerned but couldn't do much cause I was leaving for CA :( When I got back yesterday I saw that her back leg is finally almost back to normal, but that she can hardly walk and her front legs shake pretty bad when she tries to move them. I didn't want to wait so I got her in today. The vet wanted to do a full work up with blood tests and x-rays which I readily agreed to. All of her levels came back normal, no calcium deficiency and no gout, woo! The vet was pleased with her x-ray results which showed good bone density throughout and no fractures anywhere, which she thought might be the issue with her front.

She seems to think the issue is more or less a weakness from the 2nd clutch. The fact that she laid it so soon after her first one really took a toll on her body while she was still recovering from the first one basically. We are changing her diet a bit, less bugs and lots of greens with butternut squash. She was glad to hear I got her outside and recommended doing that as often as I could. We're going to continue the liquid calcium supplements. So hopefully that plus the new diet we should see strength return to her front legs in a couple weeks, and if all goes well a full recovery in 3 months.

I'm sooo glad I took the time to get down to this clinic! It was my first time with this Dr but she put me completely at ease and patiently answered all my questions.

Poor Scully though, she's been so attached to me since I got home, I feel bad I wasn't here to give her attention! Last night she drug herself across the couch so she could press herself against my leg to sleep. And at the vet she left the towel she was sitting on the exam table so she could snuggle up with my arm, even though it was on the cold table.

Oh, and she's not allowed to see Sarthy anymore, lol! Vet figures that's probably why she laid the 2nd clutch in the first place :roll: I'll just have to close the door to his room when I let him out, or make sure she's not somewhere he can see her if he goes in the living room.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Glad you got Scully into the good vet and that you have figured out what was wrong, so glad it wasn't low blood calcium, that can be fatal. Hopefully not seeing Sarth works for Scully and she recovers 100% soon, poor sweet girl. I hate that they just lay eggs and that it's beyond their control, so hopefully this is the end of it. It's good that you're going to continue with the liquid calcium, she still needs it to recover. And she'll need some bugs, as she'll still need some protein, but even 20 a week would be sufficient. At least she eats her greens! So here's to a really swift recovery and now that you're home, she'll get the attention she needs from her mom. You might try some bee pollen, too, it's got so many natural healers in it. You can sprinkle it on her greens and it really will give her an added boost. B vitamins might help, too.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I'm glad that it's nothing serious with Scully and I hope everything works out well! She's such a little cuddle bug with her mama. Too cute!

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":128p3k7i said:
Glad you got Scully into the good vet and that you have figured out what was wrong, so glad it wasn't low blood calcium, that can be fatal. Hopefully not seeing Sarth works for Scully and she recovers 100% soon, poor sweet girl. I hate that they just lay eggs and that it's beyond their control, so hopefully this is the end of it. It's good that you're going to continue with the liquid calcium, she still needs it to recover. And she'll need some bugs, as she'll still need some protein, but even 20 a week would be sufficient. At least she eats her greens! So here's to a really swift recovery and now that you're home, she'll get the attention she needs from her mom. You might try some bee pollen, too, it's got so many natural healers in it. You can sprinkle it on her greens and it really will give her an added boost. B vitamins might help, too.
Hmm, bee pollen eh? Worth a try - I know it's good for people too!

Scully has been a good girl so far with eating all of her collards and most of her diced squash. Of course she prefers to be hand fed, so that's what I spend most of my morning doing :roll: Added bonus though is Daeds loves the stuff too, Sartharion is indifferent as usual. I used to buy it more often for them but it goes bad before I can feed more than half of it. Then the vet told me I can feed it to the dubias too. Duuuh, dunno why I didn't think of that!

I got her out in the evening sun for about 20 minutes today. She basically just sat in my lap, wasn't too interested in moving. Tomorrow will be exciting, she gets some dubia ;)

zandi202":128p3k7i said:
I'm glad that it's nothing serious with Scully and I hope everything works out well! She's such a little cuddle bug with her mama. Too cute!
Yea she is such a sweet heart. You know people always think reptiles aren't affectionate...but Scully has clearly been seeking my attention these past few days. I love her to bits! My vet was talking about how sweet she was and said she wasn't surprised to hear she's my favorite.
I should hear back from the vet tomorrow, she sent out some blood for a specific calcium level that they couldn't do in the office. Looks like it was ionized. She wanted to see that before she prescribed more than just the liquid calcium as she was thinking Scully might need an injection on the spot but wanted to wait for the test. Hopefully it comes back normal though and I won't have to bring her in for a shot!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So do I, but if it helps her, you know you'll do it. I'm just glad she's getting the affection she needs. And as for hand feeding, you're looking at a pro, only Titan eats from dishes, the other 5 even have their worms fed to them! So I now get up at 7:30a so I can start baths and feeding at 8:30a, so I can be done by 9:50a so then make lunch & supper and head out at 10:25 for my bus to work. Makes my day long, especially since we're going through a heat wave (for here anyway), it's 10:40p and 79F in my apartment, so too hot to sleep. I'll be glad when this hot weather goes away, I'm a cool weather woman & hate the heat. Even my poor dragons hate the heat, so I'm having Jake come in at 3p to turn off all their lights. I've done whining now :lol:

I'm so hoping that there's nothing wrong with Scully's calcium level, too, fingers crossed, but your vets sound wonderful, so very thorough. I love my vet and I'm glad I have a good one, too.

Give Scully and your other two big hugs and tell Scully to just relax and get better soon.

I only realized that dubia love collards when I dropped a leaf in there and it disappeared really fast, so they get collards and oranges, chow and water crystals as their diet now & seem to be loving it all.

I even give the collards to the supers I have, they love it, too and it disappears fast. I'm so glad there's a Walmart here, as it's the only store that sells collards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom