Sandy - Discoid Roach Hand Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Oh heck no would I ever touch those roaches!!! Ughgghghghg. Made me feel all jittery with bugs crawling on me, haha. That is the one thing I wouldn't do for my bearded dragon. No roaches in this house!!

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
And just exactly why do you say that? :lol: It's just a Bug!

Germain

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They have virtually no odor, so I believe you know not what you talk about :wink:, unlike smelly crickets - :lol:

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Germ":e5pzp6ai said:
They have virtually no odor, so I believe you know not what you talk about :wink:, unlike smelly crickets - :lol:

Haha, I have to give it to you there. Still wouldn't touch em though ^^

HaleyMaree

Gray-bearded Member
I do to know!! I had one myself and his name was Mr.Sigh he was a hissing cockroach. And I loved that video :oops: I clicked out of it within 10 seconds. :puke: :puke: lol

~ Haley

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm unsure if Hissing Cockroaches put out a defensive odor or not, but these don't, are not Hissers & do not smell if maintained properly. :lol:

Thought you might like it, :twisted: .

G.

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wasn't aimed at you, lol

I just thought this one, of a different bin, had better close ups. Whether you view it or not, is up to you.

Unfortunately, I just found out from a reliable source that they may be illegal in Canada :angry5:, I have made my own inquiries to the proper authorities to find out for sure. Waiting for a reply. 'What a P!$$ Off!!!!', if it is in fact true, especially when they were originally CB & purchased from a Canadian outlet 4 years ago & not imported.

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just received the following reply, much to my dismay ...
Hello Germain,

Exotic cockroaches are only allowed into Canada for research or display in educational facilities like insectariums, butterfly houses and museums. Presently, we do not allow import of exotic cockroaches for commercial sale and distribution. We have the same policy for exotic stick insects and mantids as well as tropical butterflies.

If you wish to set up an insectarium or educational display, you will require an approved facility. Certain Canadian citizens with approved facilities do have colonies of exotic insects but they are not permitted to move, sell or distribute them.

If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact:

Douglas J. Parker, B.Sc., M.Sc.
(613) 759-6908 / [email protected] / Facsimile/Télécopier: (613) 759-6938
Head, Entomology - Ottawa Plant Laboratories, C.F.I.A.
Chef, entomologie - laboratoires des plantes d'Ottawa, A.C.I.A.
Bldg. 18 / édif. 18
960 Carling Ave/ 960, avenue Carling/ Ottawa CANADA K1A 0C6

Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Web Inquiries Team
On a separate inquiry on existing colonies,
Dear Germain,

As you know, there is a large underground system for the exchange and sale of exotic insects, diplopods, molluscs, reptiles, amphibians and almost anything that is prohibited. We realize this and our inspectors regularly seize these non-permitted species from pet stores and citizens --- anyone who is in possession of exotic arthropods without a permit or an approved facility is doing so against our regulations. Colonies of exotic sticks and mantids, cockroaches and millipedes that are held outside of approved facilities are illegal. And we will continue to seize these organisms until the regulations are changed. This country is plagued by exotic invasive organisms -- plants and animals. No exotic organisms should be introduced into Canada without a thorough risk assessment as to the impact on the Canadian environment and agriculture.

If you require further information, please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Regards, DJP.

Douglas J. Parker, B.Sc., M.Sc.
(613) 759-6908 / [email protected] / Facsimile/Télécopier: (613) 759-6938
Head, Entomology - Ottawa Plant Laboratories, C.F.I.A.
Chef, entomologie - laboratoires des plantes d'Ottawa, A.C.I.A.
Bldg. 18 / édif. 18
960 Carling Ave/ 960, avenue Carling/ Ottawa CANADA K1A 0C6
So a Heads up to the rest of you Canadians out there.

Germain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom