Sandbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
My beardie sometimes likes to burrow underneath his paper towels, and I was wondering about the possibility of putting in a sandbox for him to dig in. He's about 14" long. I know most people say NO SAND EVER, but other people say sand is okay, and other people say sand is okay for bigger dragons but not babies... I don't want to put sand in the entire viv, just a box big enough for him to climb in and dig around, maybe sleep in it if he wants.

Opinions?

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
Opinions definitely differ about this. I personally have a repti bowl on the corner with calci sand for Griffin. He doesn't dig too much, but really likes to hang out in it and sleep in it. He usually digs down one side so the other side is higher and acts like a pillow :D I think yours is big enough to have a sandy play pen. Although, Griffin does eat in a separate container and I wouldn't recommend it if you feed your beardy in the cage...

PS here's Griffin sleeping in his sandbox...
100_3762.jpg

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That's cute! I feed my beardie outside his enclosure (except for his salad of course) so it shouldn't be a problem. So using calci-sand (like the stuff from pet stores) is okay for something like this? I know a lot of people suggest using play sand from hardware stores or walmart.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Calci-sand has dye in it, and that dye can rub off on your dragon. Using a natural sand is the best way to avoid the dye issue, not to mention its safer if ingested. I know they have started selling natural sand at pet stores, with no dyes. Sometimes its available in black or white. Otherwise, get the play sand at Home Depot, sift it, and your good to go.

aprilstar412

Hatchling Member
I heard if your going to use sand use the play sand you can buy a 5 pound bag at homedepo for like 3 dollars. People say playsand is the cleanest sand there is. Also at my job we have a uro that does that goes under the papertowels I noticed under the towels the glass is hot and the paper towels are not so that could be a reason why. For my dragon i use News paper it doesnt get ripped up that easy =)

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Just my $.02, I haven't read one thing that would indicated BDs need sand for any purpose. It's kind of like the gravel you put in fish tanks... it's more for you and the looks, than anything to do with the fish. I guess I'm not strongly for it or against it, but the negatives do seem to outweigh the positive benefits for the lizard.

brandice

First I have a question :?: :?: :?: does your beardie have a hide? If he doesn't have someplace dark to hide in that may be why he is burrowing. If he has a hide and is still at it then maybe he is trying to dig.

I personally have seen the difference sand can make to a dragon who likes to dig. When I adopted my dragon he was on reptile carpet. He was depressed and grumpy. I noticed him trying to dig in his cage quite often and after reading the care sheets here decided I would change him to play sand. He was so happy to have somewhere to dig! The change in his personality was amazing! He was alert and active, which was something I had not seen since I brought him home. And friendly! And he actually seemed to genuinely like it. For the first time since I brought him home he actually seemed happy! :D

I'm going to slate tile as soon as I find some I like around here but I plan to make a little sandbox for Bob. I couldn't take it all away from him! Not after seeing the change sand made to his personality. I'm actually kinda worried changing him to tile will be really upsetting to him, but I am far more concerned about him eating too much sand and getting impacted not to. I know leaving some sand in there I still have that chance, but that chance is greatly reduced. I know there are several opinions on this but I'm all for a sandbox. I think it's good for Bob's state of being. And if they like to dig it's great exercise!

You'll always get people telling you no sand, it's bad, it's evil, sand = devil :evil: , it can lead to impaction which can kill your dragon. Which I agree is an issue, but a few simple steps and the risk is greatly reduced (bathing regularly and not using calci sand namely). Sand seems to be a heated debate here. In the end I think you should go with what you feel.... and if you feel your dragon needs a sandbox I'd give him one. Now if you see him eating sand after the initial tasting process then I would consider taking it out. And I wouldn't suggest using calci sand because it clumps like cat litter. Play sand is fantastic! And cheap!

In the end no, dragons don't NEED sand. But it if makes them happy, how can you deny that? It's like a kid with a skateboard. Yes there are risks, but if do your best to eliminate the risks as much as possible and are a responsible parent then how can you deny something they enjoy? That's my honest opinion :)

Jess

Extreme Poster
I was thinking about maybe giving Dudley a sand box if I get him a bigger viv... Adding a sandbox might over crowd his 40 gal!
He is on tile on non-stick shelf liner now, but he was kept on sand before I adopted him (and hes STILL dyed orange from it...) so maybe he would like it? Not sure.
One of the pet stores near me sells really nice natural sand for aquariums. I use it in my African Clawed Frog's aquarium and in 1/2 of my hermit crabs cage too, so thats what I would get Dudley if I made him a sand box.

BTW, aquarium gravel actually helps the tank cycle, so its not just for making things look pretty! You cant keep very good water quality in a bare bottom aquarium or one with smoothe stones in the bottom, cause the bacteria has no where to live. :D I have sand in my ACF tank, because they are known to eat the gravel LOL.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
First I have a question does your beardie have a hide? If he doesn't have someplace dark to hide in that may be why he is burrowing. If he has a hide and is still at it then maybe he is trying to dig.

He has a "shady" area that he can go, it isn't exactly a hide but basically my sister built a big rock structure as his basking spot and he can also go underneath it. He can't "hide" exactly but he's never shown any interest in hiding. He's always basking and happy as can be. Usually he sleeps out in the open but on occasion he will mess up his paper towels and sleep against the bottom glass. I'm just wondering if he would enjoy a sandbox or not. Unfortunately play sand seems to be seasonal at walmart so I'll have to wait til sometime next week and go to lowes or home depot, hopefully I'll have more luck there. If not, I guess the sandbox will be a no-go.

Nikki1292

I've used repti-sand for a long time now and use to have my beardie on carpeting. He's much more alert and active now that he can dig. It's funny to see him randomly start digging like crazy lol

I believe a sandbox would be a good idea :) Play sand isn't your only option. As I said, I use repti-sand and so does my friend who owns several beardies for years. Neither of us have ever had a problem with it. Sand can be a very touchy topic. Myself and some others will say its al right as long as you are aware that there is a risk of impaction and take steps to reduce it, others say the worst thing on the planet and should never be used. Touchy subject. Just make sure he gets a bath once or twice a week and my friend and I have found that the risk goes down. Note that that was also said by my vet, who said that bathing will reduce the risk.

But I do not recommend calci-sand at all! It's just down right bad because beardies have been known to like the taste of it and eat it.

If you think he would enjoy a sandbox then go for it, just keep an eye on him.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I do bathe him at least once a week, so that won't be a problem. I guess if I can't find any play sand then I'll get some repti-sand. I just think he probably gets bored, all he does is bask and eat and bask and eat and sleep and bask and eat........ I let him run around a little area of my bathroom the other night and he seemed to enjoy that, but he wouldn't stop licking the floor so I had to put him back in his cage... I know they lick everything, I just didn't expect him to lick everything a hundred times. I mean I cleaned the floor but still... ew. So I'm hoping a sandbox will give him something to do for a bit.

Eljay

Hatchling Member
It wont harm him tasting things. Yoshi comes out in the living room every day and he licks the sofa and whatever else he climbs on! as long as there is nothing with very loose and largish fibres that he could accidentally eat, then he will be fine :) its their way of telling what things are!

Im also thinking of getting Yoshi a sandbox. I'm having a new viv for him built in a few months and I might have a corner for him where he can dig maybe, but I usually feed him in his viv so I might have to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom