Sand??

Beardie name(s)
Hazel
So we have leveling sand and we aren't sure if we can use that? We are not sure if it has any thing bad for my Beardie, and we aren't sure when we can add the sand in. She is almost 6 months old.

Thx to anyone who can help

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Typically, levelling sand is just locally sourced sand from your area.

That being said, I wouldn't use it for the enclosure. You can buy a 50lb bag of washed playsand at homedepot for 6 bucks. That is more than enough to fill a tank. And you won't need to worry about any contaminants in it.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I installed a pool and flagstone in my yard. I used alot of leveling sand. It is more coarse than play sand. I highly recommend not using it

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
If you use sand everyone recommends mixing 50/50 with top soil. None treated with chemicals. Personally I've tried about everything. I always end up back at tile. It's just easier to sanitize. Should you go that route try to find tile that is textured so they can stand up and not scrabble For footing.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd be careful about saying "everyone" lol. I don't use a mix, I use pure washed playsand.
Okie, and is she too young to put in sand or is she at the right age?
If you feel it right you can do what you want. Nothing says putting in sand has to be a permanent thing. I typically always use tile, but I've found over the years that some of my dragons actually get a lot of enrichment from the sand. Others are perfectly content to stay on tile. It's not a one-size-fits-all type of thing.

-Brandon

Hazel_My_Baby_Beardie13

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
We've tried tile, but she didn't really like it, she just stayed on her log and everytime she went down, she'd be down on it like she doesn't it. So then we went back to her reptile carpet

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I agree. I usually offer a sand box especially for my females. They seem to go through cycles. they dig for china for a little while then ignore it for a bit, then back to digging lol
I think the reason for the top soil is just to try to get it to hold burros but i personally never saw that work

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
My male doesnt like tile either.in his hab i use a food grade plastic mat. Its soft enough that he can get good footing but still fairly easy to clean

Hazel_My_Baby_Beardie13

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Yeah i have a female and we tried sand outside cuz we have just only like 3 inches deep and only like 6 inches long and 3 inches wide and she loved it lol. When we tried to get her so she can go back inside, she literally just was like completely under in like a cave that she built

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Lol they are lil clowns thats part of their charm

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom