Sand substrate for my 6 and a half week old BD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimzee

I know people are going to say "impaction" e.t.c, but I am using paper towels at the moment and its a nightmare. We clean the cage once a day nearly and all the crickets do is jump out the tub and underneath the celotape that we have around the kitchen towels. I have brought a 15kg bag of play sand but I thought I would ask you your opinions. My breeder also uses sand for his BD's but at around 10 weeks of age. This is why im dubious of it at the moment.

Thanks, Sam and Jade

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
I use paper towel and can empathize with your problem.

But, cleaning your tank once a day is great for young BD's. Clean tank = healthy dragon.

-
I like to line the bottom of the tank with one solid piece of paper towel. Than I stack layers up. This way, I can remove layers as necessary, and at the end, roll up the entire thing like a canoli (idk, lol) and have all the mess inside, neatly.

I have even started adding toilet paper to "problem" areas so I can just throw it in the toilet.
-
I put pieces of slate/cage furniture to weigh down the corners of the towel to prevent crickets from getting underneath.

It also is good to drop in crickets in a rhythm that keeps up with how fast your young BD is eating... this lets you keep an eye on your dragon, and how much he/she is eating, and also makes sure no unwanted bugs are consumed that got in with your feeders.
-
OR-----------
Just simply feed your dragon in a separate container. This will also prevent germs from getting into your dragons tank from dead crickets in the tank, and from hidden dragons from bothering your BD at night time.
___
tile can work well, just dont use glazed tiles or your BD will have a harder time walking around. Even with tile some like to put a paper towel on the cool side of the tank to let your BD get a chance to cool her/his feet if desired.

Avoid sand till later. Many think you should wait to 6 months at least. Just because your dragons organs are still underdeveloped and sand can be a huge strain.
When you use sand, it may be good to mix red/white to provide some contrast so your dragon can see dusted crickets... that tip i got from Wendy at Georgia Bearded Dragons.

- CHEERS

kirby

Extreme Poster
no dragon at any age, should be on sand. they aren't in the wild, so why put them in danger in captivity?

all dragons lick, as a means of identifying something. you cant stop this, their sticky tongue will pick up the sand, they ingest it, and over time causes impaction.

a young dragons especially is at risk, its digestive tract is tighter, and smaller. they aren't able to deal with very small amounts either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom