San Jose Herp World Show 7/31-8/1 or Hayward, 7/31

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Just thought anyone wanting to go to a North Cal show would want to know about these two. If anyone wants to meet up at either of these shows, pm me, as I am going to try to get to both shows!

Jul. 31-Aug. 1, 2010 - SAN JOSE
Santa Clara Fairgrounds, Pavilion Hall
344 Tully Road, San Jose, CA 95011
Sat: 10am-5pm Sun: 10am-4pm
Adults: $10 12 and under: $5

The link gives you more info on parking, etc. There is also a coupon for one dollar off the admission price. This show is pretty big.

http://www.herpworldexpo.com

The other event is in Hayward, at the Sulphur Creek Nature Center on D Street. This location is very small and kind of hidden. BAARS is the Bay Area Amphibian & Reptile Society.

Date 07/31/2010
Title Sulphur Creek Nature Center Reptile Rally 2010
Location Sulphur Creek Nature Center 1801 D Street, Hayward
Time 11 am to 3 pm
Synopsis Sulphur Creek Nature Center has been a popular venue in past years. The event is titled Reptile Rally and will feature BAARS members and their scaly friends.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Gosh MaryAnn....I'd love to take the boys to the BAARS, but I don't think that it's gonna be possible to get away. :(

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Dang my kid and hubby for leaving me behind to see a consert lol Id much rather go to that show :D

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
There is also a show in Sacramento in September,

Sacramento Reptile Show
September 18th & 19th 2010
Sacramento Convention Center

Times -
September 18th, 10:00am to 5:00pm.
Sunday, September 19th, 10:00am to 4:00pm

Admission Prices -
*ADMISSION (1-day pass):*
Ages 13 and older = $10
Ages 6 through 12 = $7
Children under 5 = free *

ADMISSION (2-day pass):*
Ages 13 and older = $17
Ages 6 through 12 = $11
Children under 5 = free

They also have a notice in my email,

"Group Discounts
Do you have a boy/girl scout troop, a school group or a handful of co workers that plan on attending? Contact us for discount admission on groups of 20 or more.

Help us spread the word about the most exotic event in Sacramento. We will send you flyers and discount coupons for your friends, family and office break room. Just drop us an email and we will send them out [email protected]"

Do you think we could get the group discount for bd.org members? :blob5: :blob8: :laughing6: :lurk: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :lurk: :wave: :blob8: :blob5:

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
i missed Hayward, helping the neighbors move, but I am heading into San Jose right NOW! :D

Frito

Hatchling Member
i was at the san jose show yesterday, pretty good, only two beardie breeders there but they do have some really nice ones.

rockinar dragonz and Livingston Lizard Lounge, livingston is selling Dubia and that made me very happy so i picked up some to start a colony with and they also have some pretty colorful baby's for 50 dollars that i was tempted to buy but resisted the urge somehow :)

LLLReptile is there with tons of supplies at very good prices, great time to buy bulbs if you need any they had reptisun 10.0's for 23 dollars otherwise there are a lot of people with snakes, some really cool ones there too as well as turtles etc. there was someone there with a pretty large tortoise too

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi Frito, Barbara, Christy, et al.!

I just got back and Frito, you're right about the two main breeders, :D but there were beardies with other vendors as well, just not their primary focus. I think the show was smaller than 2008, last one I went to, but I saw at least seven different vendors with beardies today. A lot of the beardies you see at these shows (that aren't from the specialized breeders) are sooooo small, they look like they are just out of the egg, four or five inches long, even smaller at a couple of tables, and they say they're a month or even two months old. :banghead: Livingston had some silkies, but they looked so small to me, and while they had other dragons that looked beautiful, the silkbacks don't impress me at all. :? A different vendor (I don't want to give the name here right now) was showing a woman a baby that had some shed on the back of his head and neck and he just started pulling skin off the baby, past the dry, into skin that wasn't loose yet. I started to say something to the guy, and he said, "it doesn't hurt, it's all dead skin and just peels right off," and then he started peeling more. :angry5: I hit a combo of rage and nausea, :puke: and had to walk away. As I had already circled most of the show and didn't want to leave feeling that way, I went back over to Rockinar Dragonz to see more of their beautiful sweeties and cool down. I spent a while talking with Melanie and Anthony of Rockinar, and they are really doing it right! It was wonderful talking with them, and hearing about their dragons. Their baby dragons were from clutches in April and May, at least 7-10 inches long, sweet personalities and gorgeous, and they go home with a very well written care sheet. :study: They really made my day. :notworthy: Their adults run from 500+ up to 700+ gms, and they do not start breeding a dragon before at least two years old! :love5:

There are also some beautiful and gloriously colored chameleons, sweet and patient geckos, frogs, turtles and tortoises, and an amazing assortment of snakes. I talked with some turtles, had a long conversation with a beautiful and very pleasant albino Leopard gecko :) and I got the last 48" Reptisun at LLLReptile! :mrgreen: I'll see what pics came out and if the connection will let me load them later, but it was, overall, a very nice afternoon! :laughing6:

Frito

Hatchling Member
rockinar defiantly had the biggest and best looking young dragons at the show, livingstons were very good as well and to be honest if i was to have bought one there it would have been one of their cheaper mixed/not as good looking crosses because for the money they were the best deal at the show. i never got a chance to talk to the folks at rockinar as they were pre-occupied with other folks when i was there but i talked for quite some time with Livingston and they are definitely a good bunch who know what they are doing breeding dragons. I especially liked that they brought some of their adult breeders to the show so people could see them and they would even let you handle them so people who have never been exposed to beardies know how calm they generally are.

as for the others in the show that had dragons yes, there were more than those two but the rest were more like a commercial operation selling very young normals for too much or trying to sell a colored variant that did not look all that good for once again way too much. what was real disappointing to see in my eyes was how they were kept in deli cup containers with no heat source often times in many of them basically packaged and ready to go for the potential buyer while both rockinar and livingston brought sizable containers to keep all of them in and they all always had heat lamps and food in the cage as well, it really shows they both of them care about their beardies unlike every other group out there just about trying to sell various reptiles.

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
WOOT WOOT!

I'll be attending the sacramento show. We should have a meet-up! In fact, it would be really fun to table for beardeddragon.org maybe next year.... Hmmmm.

Anyway, my Khan will be with me and we'll be checking out the awesomeness!

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
jeserah":2myetbib said:
WOOT WOOT!

I'll be attending the sacramento show. We should have a meet-up! In fact, it would be really fun to table for beardeddragon.org maybe next year.... Hmmmm.
Very cool idea! :idea: Maybe some of us can go in together for a booth next year, if Beardie approves of the idea! :notworthy:

Frito, I'm glad you got to see some of the Livingstone breeders. They only had babies and one year old dragons that I saw on Sunday, and i didn't get as much chance to talk to them, as they were pretty busy, too. Their year old guys were very pretty dragons! :laughing6:

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
lizardgrrl":3lrlbrfj said:
jeserah":3lrlbrfj said:
WOOT WOOT!

Very cool idea! :idea: Maybe some of us can go in together for a booth next year, if Beardie approves of the idea! :notworthy:

Frito, I'm glad you got to see some of the Livingstone breeders. They only had babies and one year old dragons that I saw on Sunday, and i didn't get as much chance to talk to them, as they were pretty busy, too. Their year old guys were very pretty dragons! :laughing6:

are you guys talking about livingston lizard lounge? I just was at their facility two weeks ago and got to see their breeders and babies also (I was picking up some roaches). Their citrus male is amazing! Some of their red females are very nice too :)

And we should definitely ask Beardie about it. It would be cool to bring our little guys and also give people proper caresheet handouts. We could cover malnutrition, MBD, substrate problems and other issues as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom