salad

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
ok so a bit back i asked if it would be ok to stop feeding crickets and just dubias and people said yes so i stopped. after i stopped he was barely touching his dubias and i figured he would just need some time to realize his crickets wernt coming. well he started eating salad really well as long as it had bee pollen on it for like 2 days which he never has before. the problem was that he was eating more salad than he was roaches at this point. hes only 3 months old so i know this isnt good so yesterday we got more crickets. he goes crazy for crickets and got so excited when he saw them again. the problem is now that hes eating crickets hes not touching his salad again. would it be ok to only give him like 10 crickets per feeding or only offer them like twice instead of 4 times a day? like 10 crickets in the morning then only dubias and salad for his 12 and 3 meals then 10 more at 6 or something?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok so a bit back i asked if it would be ok to stop feeding crickets and just dubias and people said yes so i stopped. after i stopped he was barely touching his dubias and i figured he would just need some time to realize his crickets wernt coming. well he started eating salad really well as long as it had bee pollen on it for like 2 days which he never has before. the problem was that he was eating more salad than he was roaches at this point. hes only 3 months old so i know this isnt good so yesterday we got more crickets. he goes crazy for crickets and got so excited when he saw them again. the problem is now that hes eating crickets hes not touching his salad again. would it be ok to only give him like 10 crickets per feeding or only offer them like twice instead of 4 times a day? like 10 crickets in the morning then only dubias and salad for his 12 and 3 meals then 10 more at 6 or something?
Ok so you have a cricket guy--- you can offer the dubias but if hes not hot on them just feed off what you can --- the crickets are his main diet as young as he is but he still needs that salad - did you try BSFL? I cant remember if you did-- cut back on the 4 times a day but do not decrease the insect-- he needs the protein - I would feed him 2 times a day the crickets as many as he will eat -- he needs at least 25 at a feeding

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would offer salads early with no crickets, then after he eats some salad offer the crickets, hopefully he will learn that routine and it will carry into adulthood

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Ok so you have a cricket guy--- you can offer the dubias but if hes not hot on them just feed off what you can --- the crickets are his main diet as young as he is but he still needs that salad - did you try BSFL? I cant remember if you did-- cut back on the 4 times a day but do not decrease the insect-- he needs the protein - I would feed him 2 times a day the crickets as many as he will eat -- he needs at least 25 at a feeding
yes i tried bsfl but he would only eat them off my hand he would never really pick them off the salad and i struggled to keep them alive. hes definitely a cricket guy he lunged as soon as i showed him the bag last night

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
I would offer salads early with no crickets, then after he eats some salad offer the crickets, hopefully he will learn that routine and it will carry into adulthood
he normally gets fed salads at 8 and then about an hour after he gets his bugs for the morning. should i just not give him the bugs until 12?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
he normally gets fed salads at 8 and then about an hour after he gets his bugs for the morning. should i just not give him the bugs until 12?
No I would feed him in the morning - take your crickets disable them pull the back legs off of them put them in the salad bowl- let him go after them in the salad bowl - then feed him again in the afternoon -

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
No I would feed him in the morning - take your crickets disable them pull the back legs off of them put them in the salad bowl- let him go after them in the salad bowl - then feed him again in the afternoon -
ok so heres what im thinking. offer him a salad with just pollen on it when his lights go on. about an hour later give him disabled crickets on top of it(at least 25). then leave him with just the salad in the cage all day. then at like 6 repeat the process? normally he gets fed at 8, 12, 3, and 6. should i just immediatley change it or sort of ease him into it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok so heres what im thinking. offer him a salad with just pollen on it when his lights go on. about an hour later give him disabled crickets on top of it(at least 25). then leave him with just the salad in the cage all day. then at like 6 repeat the process? normally he gets fed at 8, 12, 3, and 6. should i just immediatley change it or sort of ease him into it?
What time are you shutting lights off? He needs time to warm up before eating in the morning- I dont feed my dragons till 2 hrs after the lights come on - so you want him good and warmed up - I would give him a afternoon feeding of around 4 - what other bugs are feeding?

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
What time are you shutting lights off? He needs time to warm up before eating in the morning- I dont feed my dragons till 2 hrs after the lights come on - so you want him good and warmed up - I would give him a afternoon feeding of around 4 - what other bugs are feeding?
lights get turned on at 7 and off at anywhere between 8 and 9. normally closer to 9. hes also fed dubias and he should be getting superworms tomorrow. we also tried hornworms but they grow so fast and are expensive so those will probably just be for every once in a while.

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Must be a picky eater! You can always add to his salad such as reptile salad dressing (to make him want to eat it more). Since he is a young juvenile he should be eating fresh greens every morning, insects that are up to 3/8 inch, all they can eat in 15 minutes, three times a day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
lights get turned on at 7 and off at anywhere between 8 and 9. normally closer to 9. hes also fed dubias and he should be getting superworms tomorrow. we also tried hornworms but they grow so fast and are expensive so those will probably just be for every once in a while.
Cut them in half and where are getting the horn worms? Is he eating the super worms? Put them in his salads drop in front of him ---

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Cut them in half and where are getting the horn worms? Is he eating the super worms? Put them in his salads drop in front of him ---
we get the hornworms from a local pet store. we will probably order them from dubia.com next time tho. he has never tried superworms and he wont get them until tomorrow.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom