Salad and Overhydration? Poop Question, Mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

We have a three-month-old beardie. He LOVES to eat. He will gobble down his salad in the morning and goes crazy for crickets. And he's growing fast!

My question is whether he's overhydrated, maybe from the salad? His poops are solid but there is always a ring of liquid around them on the newspaper or paper towel. The ring was about an inch and a half in diameter, but lately it's been more like three or four inches in diameter. (He's also on paper towels in his tank at the moment because we ran out of newspaper and I try to buy the Sunday ones, so I'll stock up on more this weekend... possible that the ring just spreads out a lot more on the paper towels?)

My son, who he technically belongs to (ha, you know how it is, mom takes care of all pets), thinks he's overhydrated and needs less salad. I think since he's obviously hungry and he's eating 60ish small crickets per day, he needs to eat! I give him usually a leaf of baby bok choy (just the green part), a similar sized piece of napa cabbage, plus a little butternut squash or bell pepper or something in his salad. It's all washed and then I shake off the excess water. I feed it to him around 8 am and he eats about half then and then another half at some point before 12:30, when I feed him his cricket lunch. Then he eats crickets for dinner around 6, which my son feeds him.

Is this a problem at all? He has a nice, chubby belly and he is definitely growing like crazy. He's friendly/active/alert and doesn't seem sick at all. It's just that there's that big puddle/ring of liquid around his solid poos. Poo is brown with the white urate at the end, so it seems normal.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Let him have all the veges he wants. The more variety the better. It's great that you have a young dragon who is eating lots of salads. That will help keep him healthy during his lifetime. The excess water passing through is normal and it's a sign of good hydration. Just passing through what he doesn't need/absorb and that's OK. Keep up the good work =).

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Let him have all the veges he wants. The more variety the better. It's great that you have a young dragon who is eating lots of salads. That will help keep him healthy during his lifetime. The excess water passing through is normal and it's a sign of good hydration. Just passing through what he doesn't need/absorb and that's OK. Keep up the good work =).
I was wondering about this also. It seems like my bearded dragon would eat as much salad as I would give him so I just wasn’t sure what size salad I should give them each day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom