Rust-oleum Stone Texture Spray Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
So, I understand that we should try to use water-based materials inside our vivs to prevent issues with outgassing and fumes, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use any of the stone-textured spray paint products on their fake rocks. If so, did you then go over it with a water-based sealant? How long did you wait before putting it into your viv?

Glen

I was walking through Michael's the other day and saw it. I wondered the same thing. I assume if you sealed it, it would be okay, but don't quote me on it, because I'm not sure.

Ric

Hatchling Member
Just guessing that this is what you're talking about http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGResourceCenter.asp?sn=ms2&msdstyp=PROCBG&msdsprc=79
That's the company's page with the tech docs on the products.

In them it states

"Conditions To Avoid: Avoid temperatures above 120 ° F. Avoid all possible sources of ignition."

and goes on to say

"Hazardous Decomposition: When heated to decomposition, it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. By open
flame, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide."

There are safer ways to make false rocks.

http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/index.html Check there for videos and how to's. Youtube has a lot of videos on it too.

Eljay

Hatchling Member
you could always use normal sand....sprinkle it on your paint as its drying and then seal. that probably way safer and they cant ingest it due to the sealant?

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Eljay":yme60d8y said:
you could always use normal sand....sprinkle it on your paint as its drying and then seal. that probably way safer and they cant ingest it due to the sealant?

Or just use sanded grout, it's got the sand already mixed in. :)

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
Hmmm I have that on the back of the Viv as I wanted to cover the plywood. Since the temps in there don't get near 120, I figured it was ok. Plus that's towards the back and the basking bulb shines forward of that by 7 inches or so. One time we saw Angus climbing it (but that was when he was smaller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom