Ruptured cornea or something else?

Fionnuala

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buffy the cricket slayer
So about a week ago I noticed that my beardie’s right eye wasn’t open, and actually crusted shut. I took him to a local vet by my parents house and she told me she doesn’t specialize in reptiles and opened his eye with a lot of struggling and saline solution. Upon seeing his eye, she informed me that it was a ruptured cornea and referred me to another local vet who does corneal surgery on reptiles. As I was leaving the following morning, I set up an appointment with a local reptile vet in my area but the soonest I could get an appointment is next Wednesday. It’s been about 6 days in his new tank and new home and he actually opened the bad eye 2 days ago. And has continued to open it relatively frequently. I can see his third eyelid half covering the eye, but beyond that it looks okay. More often than no he keeps it closed, and it does irritate him as he tries to scratch it but it looks like it’s healing and he’s able to open it more every day? Is it possible there was just some debris in the eye? Or just a scratched cornea?

Attached are 5 photos, the first two are from the first day I saw it and the second two are from today (green blanket) and the last one is when I first saw his eye opening.

Attachments

• 0EF96E35-0BD2-47E6-8F18-A72C8491001C.jpeg
    0EF96E35-0BD2-47E6-8F18-A72C8491001C.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 119
  • C35CE5C1-326F-4F4E-BA2B-78B7D7283A40.jpeg
    C35CE5C1-326F-4F4E-BA2B-78B7D7283A40.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 77
  • A2816FF6-4E69-4F8F-9D0E-A293F3634F7A.jpeg
    A2816FF6-4E69-4F8F-9D0E-A293F3634F7A.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 83
  • 25FDB1B3-641E-4234-9DBD-09E225737F38.jpeg
    25FDB1B3-641E-4234-9DBD-09E225737F38.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 61EE5837-A8F7-4724-AC7D-330892F4567B.jpeg
    61EE5837-A8F7-4724-AC7D-330892F4567B.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 80
  • 181B1305-C074-4DE5-B8DD-BD6026A75100.jpeg
    181B1305-C074-4DE5-B8DD-BD6026A75100.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 73
  • A64F47FB-AAC3-4D49-80C5-5BB94326DCE7.jpeg
    A64F47FB-AAC3-4D49-80C5-5BB94326DCE7.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 82

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So about a week ago I noticed that my beardie’s right eye wasn’t open, and actually crusted shut. I took him to a local vet by my parents house and she told me she doesn’t specialize in reptiles and opened his eye with a lot of struggling and saline solution. Upon seeing his eye, she informed me that it was a ruptured cornea and referred me to another local vet who does corneal surgery on reptiles. As I was leaving the following morning, I set up an appointment with a local reptile vet in my area but the soonest I could get an appointment is next Wednesday. It’s been about 6 days in his new tank and new home and he actually opened the bad eye 2 days ago. And has continued to open it relatively frequently. I can see his third eyelid half covering the eye, but beyond that it looks okay. More often than no he keeps it closed, and it does irritate him as he tries to scratch it but it looks like it’s healing and he’s able to open it more every day? Is it possible there was just some debris in the eye? Or just a scratched cornea?

Attached are 5 photos, the first two are from the first day I saw it and the second two are from today (green blanket) and the last one is when I first saw his eye opening.
So it's possible she the vet washed out what was in it- what kind of substrate? What kind of uvb? Coil or tube? Any colored lights being used? You don't want him scratching at that eye-

Fionnuala

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buffy the cricket slayer
At my parents house, he had no light, no heat, and no uvb. I wasn’t aware of these facts previously until my last visit. And vitasand in a 40g tank that wasn’t changed out for 2 years. Additionally my parents weren’t even cleaning out his waste.

Fionnuala

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buffy the cricket slayer
Update: she’s doing a lot better. The vet prescribed antibiotic gel for the eye and it’s clearing up super well, plus something came out of it, possible an eye cap 🤷‍♀️ She’s still reluctant to use her eye but it’s looking so much better and can see with it. Only issue now is a possible RI. It’s monsoon season here and humidity levels are in the 60s while temps are low. I’m rednecking the tank heating with a small space heater near the cage and it’s in the low 70s on the cold end and low 90’s on the hot side. I have to wait for my next paycheck before I can get a proper basking bulb+ dome cover. Currently using a old ceramic bulb and the space heater to warm the tank. I’m also TEMPORARILY using a heating rock, and it’s temperature only reaches the high 90’s. With the tank warmer she uses it much less and only occasionally Lays on it now.

Attached is a video of her breathing.

Is there any way to treat the RI without going to the vet?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update: she’s doing a lot better. The vet prescribed antibiotic gel for the eye and it’s clearing up super well, plus something came out of it, possible an eye cap 🤷‍♀️ She’s still reluctant to use her eye but it’s looking so much better and can see with it. Only issue now is a possible RI. It’s monsoon season here and humidity levels are in the 60s while temps are low. I’m rednecking the tank heating with a small space heater near the cage and it’s in the low 70s on the cold end and low 90’s on the hot side. I have to wait for my next paycheck before I can get a proper basking bulb+ dome cover. Currently using a old ceramic bulb and the space heater to warm the tank. I’m also TEMPORARILY using a heating rock, and it’s temperature only reaches the high 90’s. With the tank warmer she uses it much less and only occasionally Lays on it now.

Attached is a video of her breathing.

Is there any way to treat the RI without going to the vet?
If she does have a RI she will need antibiotics - can you post a video of her breathing- does she have any mucous or is her nose running? The temps are extremely important to deal w/ this you do not want it turning into pneumonia. The ceramic heat emitter will help at night. Temps at night around 80. She needs a clear bright white basking bulb flukers is good. She needs those basking temps 95-100 taken w a digital probe thermometer. Low basking temps will cause a RI notbso much humidity. The 60% is duable it's 70% and above that's not good

Fionnuala

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buffy the cricket slayer
The rock is now reaching the 105-110 range with the space heater added. Also the tank temps are still increasing with the heater. No mucus or nasal drainage. And now that I’m trying to get another video, it’s stopped happening. Lol. Her mouth is closed and no other traditional indicators of an infection, she’s still active and very bright in color.

Attachments

• IMG_5294.MOV
    6.4 MB

Fionnuala

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buffy the cricket slayer
And I got her humidity levels down to the high 20’s. Have dehumidifying shoe inserts hanging in the air.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 50

Fionnuala

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buffy the cricket slayer
Also added old lightbulbs to the old light/uvb set up that heat up, and would burn me if I touched them while they were on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 51

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also added old lightbulbs to the old light/uvb set up that heat up, and would burn me if I touched them while they were on.
Ok so I recommend this. Please take the inserts out of the tank how are you getting the humidity reading? Please get a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com these are more accurate than a dial one
Next please get a ceramic heat emitter for night time temps those lights your using are really bright and unless your using the for a day time basking bulb of which I would not please shut them off. Where is your UVB? Surface basking temps and UVB are crucial especially for sick dragons. Please get rid of the heat rock they are dangerous if they malfunction they cause some serious burns. Flukers basking bulbs are reasonable please get one. I dont know what wattage your using for surface basking temps

Fionnuala

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buffy the cricket slayer
the past 2 weeks I dropped over $750 on Buffy. I literally cannot buy any of those items currently, My account is in the negative. I’m trying my best on a minimum wage job while attending school.

I have a brand new uvb bulb and have the standard house lightbulbs on a timer along with the uvb and the rock. The ceramic heater is old and the numbers wore off.

Attachments

• 39B0D55F-AB4F-4F8F-8A99-637FD39DA8A0.jpeg
    39B0D55F-AB4F-4F8F-8A99-637FD39DA8A0.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 53
  • 8EAE78D2-A60E-4153-8579-B23D1B162469.jpeg
    8EAE78D2-A60E-4153-8579-B23D1B162469.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 062518A1-B8F0-4E7A-AEC2-FF78CA99BEDD.jpeg
    062518A1-B8F0-4E7A-AEC2-FF78CA99BEDD.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the past 2 weeks I dropped over $750 on Buffy. I literally cannot buy any of those items currently, My account is in the negative. I’m trying my best on a minimum wage job while attending school.

I have a brand new uvb bulb and have the standard house lightbulbs on a timer along with the uvb and the rock. The ceramic heater is old and the numbers wore off.
Please get a piece of decor directly under your UVB approx 8-10 inches. Next you need the basking bulb that is imperative - please get one and get rid of those old heat bulbs your using- you can use household bulbs like this
1660521826673.jpg

these will be better than the ones your using now- you need ones that have UVA and this will work found at Walmart - look at Petco or Petsmart for the digital probe thermometer. This is imperative to the dragons health and you will need at least one for the surface basking temps - the analog or stick ons are good for ambient temps only please get this stuff as soon as you can I know everyone is having a rough time right now I am hearing you

Fionnuala

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buffy the cricket slayer
Please get a piece of decor directly under your UVB approx 8-10 inches. Next you need the basking bulb that is imperative - please get one and get rid of those old heat bulbs your using- you can use household bulbs like this View attachment 72953
these will be better than the ones your using now- you need ones that have UVA and this will work found at Walmart - look at Petco or Petsmart for the digital probe thermometer. This is imperative to the dragons health and you will need at least one for the surface basking temps - the analog or stick ons are good for ambient temps only please get this stuff as soon as you can I know everyone is having a rough time right now I am hearing you
I’ve been using a digital thermometer meant for cooking for taking the temps on the rock, it’s temperature varies between 105.8-107.9.

I’ll try rearranging the cage again for her again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The eye gel which is an antibiotic gel should clear the eye up. This is a relatively common issue
when they have any retained shed, etc but she should be fine.
The Reptisun 10 tube is a good bulb. What is the distance of the tube bulb to her? I noticed it is
on top of a screen top so the screen top will filter out some of the UVB. Is it the T5 high output tube
or the T8?

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom