Running costs

Danjw91

Just wondering what people's opinions are on running costs, ways to cut down on them? My BD has a 100w ceramic heater for night time which is now set to 21 I think. She has a 150w basking lamp which obvs can't be changed and UV 39w which obvs can't be changed. I have an LED light in there as well (long story why) but what temps can BDs be ok with at night. I used to have night heater at 18 until I was told needs to be between 22-24 inside at night.

Just if I turn off the LED all the time it reduces bill by around £6.60 if worked out and night heater won't run as much if set to 18? Overall I worked out all the BDs lights and heater is around £37pm due to these sky high prices on electric.

*LED is 15w not 50w, thought was 50w so actually only about £2pm.

Last edited:

HyperLollipop

Beardie name(s)
Herman
Just wondering what people's opinions are on running costs, ways to cut down on them? My BD has a 100w ceramic heater for night time which is now set to 21 I think. She has a 150w basking lamp which obvs can't be changed and UV 39w which obvs can't be changed. I have an LED light in there as well (long story why) but what temps can BDs be ok with at night. I used to have night heater at 18 until I was told needs to be between 22-24 inside at night.

Just if I turn off the LED all the time it reduces bill by around £6.60 if worked out and night heater won't run as much if set to 18? Overall I worked out all the BDs lights and heater is around £37pm due to these sky high prices on electric.
Hi! As for the night heater, bearded dragons can survive with nighttime temps as low as 65F which is like 18.8C according to Google, so I only keep my nighttime bulb on when the outside temps drop below 30F (-1.1C) because the enclosure is right near a window. However I like to keep the temp in the tank overnight at around 70F (21.1C) because I'm afraid it may drop below the temp when I'm asleep and I won't be able to tell because I would be asleep, but that's just personal preference, leaving your heat bulb at 18C would be just fine and could save you money.
Also, there is really no need for an LED light in a bearded dragon enclosure because it doesn't really provide any heat for your dragon.

Danjw91

Original Poster
Hi! As for the night heater, bearded dragons can survive with nighttime temps as low as 65F which is like 18.8C according to Google, so I only keep my nighttime bulb on when the outside temps drop below 30F (-1.1C) because the enclosure is right near a window. However I like to keep the temp in the tank overnight at around 70F (21.1C) because I'm afraid it may drop below the temp when I'm asleep and I won't be able to tell because I would be asleep, but that's just personal preference, leaving your heat bulb at 18C would be just fine and could save you money.
Also, there is really no need for an LED light in a bearded dragon enclosure because it doesn't really provide any heat for your dragon.

Ye the LED isn't for anything other than full lighting which apparently having that LED improves behaviour and makes them more active but tbh the LED doesn't make a massive difference on lighting.

Ye I've set the temp to 19 which makes it come on when it gets to 18.5 but I have 3 different sensors then the night heater and all 3 are different temps but it's usually quite good anyway in there. When it turns on it'll get really hot so when it turns off it still goes up about 2 degrees above the setting temp.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom