Rocky bit me!

I am telling- I am telling- I am telling. Okay this was hours ago as Rocky is asleep (in his enclosure) but I was handfeeding Rocky and pretending the fruit was bugs. Handfeeding isn't the problem as I handfeed Rocky every day. Let me be clear, it's only breakfast/greens that I handfeed Rocky. I don't want you to think he's spoiled or anything.
However, I cut up his fruit (new to him that's why I fed it to him) and as it's smaller, I should've used the tongs.
The first time it felt like a nip - I have to check his mouth tomorrow because I think ALL OF HIS TEETH have grown in. They are tiny but the second time proved they are mighty. It was enough to say ouch but it was the momentary lock and shake. Rocky was going for it. Beardies eat each meal like they never ate before in their life, my goodness-- I don't mind the smacking and the eating a mouthful at once, I think Rocky thinks someone is coming to take his food- but ooooweeee, I felt those little teeth.
Little razors? A trap like you see on the cartoons? I don't know how to describe it!
Rocky didn't even put his head in shame. I actually think he enjoyed it! I continued to feed him like a dummy- he began dropping things and watched me pick it up like, YES, DON'T FORGET WHO IS IN CHARGE. There were no additional bites, all is well and of course, I still love Rocky.

Rocky's moment- once I adjusted the light, Rocky felt as if he has superpowers. Okay, he was just a little more courageous. He attempted to leave his enclosure via the ramp. While he doesn't mind going up- he never goes down. The EXACT UVB and he's superbeardie!!!

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
I am telling- I am telling- I am telling. Okay this was hours ago as Rocky is asleep (in his enclosure) but I was handfeeding Rocky and pretending the fruit was bugs. Handfeeding isn't the problem as I handfeed Rocky every day. Let me be clear, it's only breakfast/greens that I handfeed Rocky. I don't want you to think he's spoiled or anything.
However, I cut up his fruit (new to him that's why I fed it to him) and as it's smaller, I should've used the tongs.
The first time it felt like a nip - I have to check his mouth tomorrow because I think ALL OF HIS TEETH have grown in. They are tiny but the second time proved they are mighty. It was enough to say ouch but it was the momentary lock and shake. Rocky was going for it. Beardies eat each meal like they never ate before in their life, my goodness-- I don't mind the smacking and the eating a mouthful at once, I think Rocky thinks someone is coming to take his food- but ooooweeee, I felt those little teeth.
Little razors? A trap like you see on the cartoons? I don't know how to describe it!
Rocky didn't even put his head in shame. I actually think he enjoyed it! I continued to feed him like a dummy- he began dropping things and watched me pick it up like, YES, DON'T FORGET WHO IS IN CHARGE. There were no additional bites, all is well and of course, I still love Rocky.

Rocky's moment- once I adjusted the light, Rocky felt as if he has superpowers. Okay, he was just a little more courageous. He attempted to leave his enclosure via the ramp. While he doesn't mind going up- he never goes down. The EXACT UVB and he's superbeardie!!!
Oh darn! Is your finger okay? I remember the first time Waffles bit me, I was on a FaceTime with a buddy of mine, and he decided that my middle finger was a juicy worm! Needless to say, there was blood all over my white bedsheets.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Oh darn! Is your finger okay? I remember the first time Waffles bit me, I was on a FaceTime with a buddy of mine, and he decided that my middle finger was a juicy worm! Needless to say, there was blood all over my white bedsheets.
Ouch--- okay, I don't need to complain. No blood at all. I am on another post and saw @xp29 gets nipped. I guess this is more common than I realized. Rocky is just falling in line with normal beardie behavior I guess. 😖White sheets? Facetime--- what a show that was?! I am glad you are ok!

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
Ouch--- okay, I don't need to complain. No blood at all. I am on another post and saw @xp29 gets nipped. I guess this is more common than I realized. Rocky is just falling in line with normal beardie behavior I guess. 😖White sheets? Facetime--- what a show that was?! I am glad you are ok!
Oh that was a show! Many naughty words were let off, and a giggling friend over the line! Pretty normal behaviour, although I wish it wasn’t!

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Rango hasn’t bit me but Shyla has. As a matter of fact she bit me yesterday. She was licking pollen off my fingers and must’ve gotten to excited

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
one day last summer i had painted my toes and sir henry was running around on the living room floor. next thing i know he ran over and bit my toe! i really wish i had a camera cause the look on his face was PRICELESS!!!! you could tell it shocked him just as much as it did me. looked right at me like WTF. i think the color was close enough that he thought it was a piece of red bell pepper. poor guy thought he was getting an extra snack! boy was he wrong. luckily it was just a pinprick of a tooth mark. didn't hurt me a bit.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I do get nipped quite often, it usually doesn't hurt to much. It's not their teeth you have to worry about, they are pretty small. It's the two ridge plates in the top of their mouth that really hurts, they're boney and they're d@=n sharp. I've only gotten bit that bad one time, Zen got really excited about a hornworm that wrapped around my finger tip and got my finger straight on. That one actually hurt. Luckily they have always released as soon as they realized they bit me..
Don't be mad at Rocky, they don't do it on purpose.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
one day last summer i had painted my toes and sir henry was running around on the living room floor. next thing i know he ran over and bit my toe! i really wish i had a camera cause the look on his face was PRICELESS!!!! you could tell it shocked him just as much as it did me. looked right at me like WTF. i think the color was close enough that he thought it was a piece of red bell pepper. poor guy thought he was getting an extra snack! boy was he wrong. luckily it was just a pinprick of a tooth mark. didn't hurt me a bit.
My girl and i were in a pet store in Ft. Myers Florida. They had a huge tortoise the free roamed. He had always been friendly. On this particular day he started to chase my girlfriend ( it was a slow speed chase, it looked like O.J. lol). So i go to the counter and asked why he was doing that. The lady asked me if she was wearing open toed shoes, i said yes. She asked if her nails were painted, again i said yes. She asked what color, i said like a pale orange. She laughed and said he thought her toes were pieces of melon. Lesson learned!!

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry

Harry sometimes nips on me when she’s getting her mouth checks / teeth cleaned. She’s like… umm… hello this is a bit uncomfy take this cotton swab out of my mouth please ?? Harry it is for your own good !

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Harry sometimes nips on me when she’s getting her mouth checks / teeth cleaned. She’s like… umm… hello this is a bit uncomfy take this cotton swab out of my mouth please ?? Harry it is for your own good !
Ohh this is a wonderful topic. I have tried this before but no luck...do you just go for it?
Now that I was bit, I might as well right? I've seen bug residue I wanted to get out and I tried without luck previously. When Rocky closes his mouth, end of discussion. I'm sure Harry closes his eyes or tries to get away, what's your solution?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I do get nipped quite often, it usually doesn't hurt to much. It's not their teeth you have to worry about, they are pretty small. It's the two ridge plates in the top of their mouth that really hurts, they're boney and they're d@=n sharp. I've only gotten bit that bad one time, Zen got really excited about a hornworm that wrapped around my finger tip and got my finger straight on. That one actually hurt. Luckily they have always released as soon as they realized they bit me..
Don't be mad at Rocky, they don't do it on purpose.
That's the trap like feel....that explains it! Hmmm interesting!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Next time you catch him gaping take a look at the roof of his mouth, you'll be able to see them.

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry
Ohh this is a wonderful topic. I have tried this before but no luck...do you just go for it?
Now that I was bit, I might as well right? I've seen bug residue I wanted to get out and I tried without luck previously. When Rocky closes his mouth, end of discussion. I'm sure Harry closes his eyes or tries to get away, what's your solution?
With Harry, she’s always been pretty calm about things, but she doesn’t like me going into her mouth. I wrap her gently but firmly into a towel and use a clean card (like an id) to prop open her mouth. She gets angry for a second but if I keep the card gently in her mouth she stays still and doesn’t try to wiggle out.

She’s never black bearded while I’be done this, she just doesn’t enjoy it and tries to close her mouth as soon as possible.

For cleaning I use a diluted chlorhexidine solution on a cotton swab and gently rub it onto her teeth and clean any debris. (Chlorhexidine is also amazing for helping remove sheds.)

It definitely depends on the temperament of your beardie though ! Mines usually very calm and relaxed about everything so she’s just kinda like, “yeah yeah I’ll get this over with.”

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
With Harry, she’s always been pretty calm about things, but she doesn’t like me going into her mouth. I wrap her gently but firmly into a towel and use a clean card (like an id) to prop open her mouth. She gets angry for a second but if I keep the card gently in her mouth she stays still and doesn’t try to wiggle out.

She’s never black bearded while I’be done this, she just doesn’t enjoy it and tries to close her mouth as soon as possible.

For cleaning I use a diluted chlorhexidine solution on a cotton swab and gently rub it onto her teeth and clean any debris. (Chlorhexidine is also amazing for helping remove sheds.)

It definitely depends on the temperament of your beardie though ! Mines usually very calm and relaxed about everything so she’s just kinda like, “yeah yeah I’ll get this over with.”
This is so helpful. Thank you! When I try this, I am sure that I will have a story.
Card...I would've never thought to use a card, how smart!
Rocky only puffed up once in his life and that's an experience neither one of us will ever forget. Rocky is the sweetest, most spoiled, curious, moody...I better wait to see what happens before I brag about him LOL *all in fun*

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom