Roach Allergy Asthma Common

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaTater

Hatchling Member
It makes total sense. Home infestations cause all those problems. Also a rat or mouse colony.
Wish I had thought about that before I ordered the dubias yesterday. They'll be shipped out today. I'll just go ahead and feed them and steer clear in the future. Good timing there, Jeff. :lol:

JeffFisher

Original Poster
A little late, but better than never:)
I just wish there was a way to get everyone to read this post.

jarich

Juvie Member
JeffFisher":1218f70d said:
15 Years ago I was breeding a large colony of hissing roaches for my beardeds, uro's and chameleons. I started having horrible problems with asthma, which was not part of my medical history. I was on several inhalers both bronchodialotors and steroids. I was constanty having esophogeal irritation that was causing esophogeal spasms (horribly painful) and G.I. symptoms causing errosive esophogitis that increases cancer risks and potentual for esophogeal varises, which potentially can rupture which is almost instant death. Children are very prone to asthma caused by roach allergies that can cause anaphlaxis which also could be fatal.
Thankfully I noticed whenever I came into contact with roaches I would develop welts. All roaches can cause all the symptoms I described, plus many more.
I know many people use roaches for dragon food, but I would discourage these food items completely. If you have children please be aware that symptoms can be rapid and can lead to rapid fatalities.
I believe that 60% or higher of the population is allergic to roach mites, body parts, and feces.
As soon as I got rid of the roaches my symptoms rapidly improved. I have been asthma free ever since and the other issues resolved within 6 months.
Please take caution, and if you have children remove roaches from you list of food items.
**One horrible ashma attack happend on Thanksgiving at my parents house. I drove home because I forgot my inhalers. The inhaler was empty...I looked at my nail beds and they were purple. Looking in the mirror my lips were blue. Had to call my dad to drive me to the ER I passed out on the way there. Was in the hospital for 6 hrs before the symptoms resolved***

Im sorry you had that problem, as it sounds very serious. Glad you were able to figure it out before you had further problems. However, I think you are going a bit too far with the scare tactics there. Nowhere near 60% of people are allergic to roaches. I think the "60%" you are remembering is the 30-60% percentage of people with asthma who are possibly sensitive to roach allergens. So the lesson would be that if you or your children have asthma, its probably not a good idea to breed roaches until you know you are all safe from the allergies that may be a possibility for you. That would go for cats, dogs, or any other common allergen though, I would guess.

The rest of us should be just fine ;)

JeffFisher

Original Poster
Im sorry you feel that way.
I can provide statistics if you would like. Just have to do a google search. Look at stats for homes that are infested. The children from those areas have higher rates of asthma problems. The asthma is secondary to the primary cause (roaches) It is fact that children when removed from the areas that are roach infested soon become asthma free. Its all over the internet.
Would you like me to provide more information as far as websites to reveiw?

JeffFisher

Original Poster
I cant paste the web page address for some reason. Nor can I see the entire web page address. I dont know how to use my phone very well. Ill keep at it. Hopefully I can provide the information for you.
Its on medical web site. Its called researchgate.net. It has a lot of information for you to read. One medical report is 15 pages long. It has a bunch of medical jargon, but since Im a nurse I understood most of it.
Basically it says the asthma is directly related to the roaches. And the allergies were developed from repeted contact with roaches. It also stated that 30-60% of the cases that developed allergies to repeated roach exposure also devoloped reactive airway disease. This is a 'Chicken or the egg" issue.
Were you allergic to roaches since you were born?
Or did exposure cause the allergy?
Were you born with asthma?
Or was it caused from an allergy due to exposure?
I do uderstand your point of view. We could probably find conficting evidence to support our cases. I stated mine , you stated yours.
But when there are children involved I will always err on the side of caution.
And I dont even have children.

JeffFisher

Original Poster
I feel this is way too important to be dismissed as "scare tactics"

The information is valuable and should not be dismissed so easily.

Here are a couple web sites that are easy to read. The first one says children are 40% likely to have roach allergies. The second one says 45%

http://www.trianglepest.com/pest-control-durham/blog/are-durham-roaches-cause-your-autumn-allergies

http://407bugfree.com/roaches.html

I agree that 60% mainly related to people that have an asthma diagnosis. But is the diagnosis of asthma related to roaches?

Mine was obviously, but how many others are out there that do not know it is the roaches that is causing the asthma?

The only way I discovered it was after I developed welts from the roaches directly contacting my skin.

The feces, shed shells, mites, and dead bodys parts get dispersed in the air. They are inhaled, have contact with mucous membranes including your mouth and eyes. Can cause eye and esophogeal irritation and swelling (just as mine was)

If you wanna inhale roach poop and mites have at it :)

Roaches also carry salmonella, TB, leprosy, cholora and other nasty illnesses.

But the first medical page I read did say 60% . I was also going off of my memory. Sorry about the confusion it may have caused.

But even if my 60% seems too high, the other garbage they carry isn't worth putting your family at risk.

Yes, people are allergic to cat and dog dander. But that is nothing like snorting what comes out of their backsides. Nor do they usually carry salmonella, TB or leprosy.

Armadillos carry leprosy...so dont keep one as a pet, or snort their backsides either :)

I still believe many people would not have an asthma diagnosis if they were not exposed to roaches.
I still have an asthma diagnosis on my health care record even though I havent had symptoms since removing the hissing roaches.

I am not using "scare tactics"
I gain nothing by scaring anyone.
I felt it was an important concern I wanted to share with the list.
If I scared anyone Im sorry.

So when you say "the rest of us should be just fine", are you speaking for everyone on the list?
Who are"us"?? Excuse the horrible grammer :)
The information is out there, please allow people to make their own choices.

BTW..do you sell roaches?
I'm just curious :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm not arguing the allergen potential, or that folks need to make an educated decision, but isn't there some distinction between a infestation in a low income housing project and a moderately sized colony kept with proper maintenance?

For example, I keep my roaches in the basement, in a closet. I clean them infrequently and wear protective gear (breathing mask and gloves). Several breeding guides recommend this, otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten the notion myself - I think the information is valuable, and probably many people have overlooked precautions. Still, it seems like that's a different situation and would have different "risk" than free roaming roaches in the building.

As for infectious disease I need to read more but wouldn't the roaches first need exposure to those agents to carry them? Again, most colonies don't have access to a whole lot of options to get exposed to things like TB. I'd think the likelihood of carrying disease (while possible) is lower. A quick search suggests crickets are a source of allergens as well, and I would guess also have the ability carry various diseases too.

Since dogs and cats were mentioned...
Salmonella spp. can be isolated from healthy dogs and cats at rates of up to 36% and 18%, respectively.
Dogs and cats tend to shed Salmonella organisms for very prolonged periods of time after infection.
Dogs and especially cats can shed Salmonella organisms in both their feces and saliva, meaning that transmission can occur via licking.

jarich

Juvie Member
Agreed, there is no comparison between a low income housing project infested with free ranging German or American cockroaches and a contained tub of tropical roaches that is cleaned at regular intervals. Those websites you listed again are specifically referring to children in low income urban centers, areas where a much higher percentage of children have allergies and other health issues already. Also, you cannot get leprosy from roaches, and I would like to see any evidence that TB can be passed to humans via B. dubia colonies, or indeed that they carry any of these diseases you listed. As with all information, context is key. I know of literally hundreds of people who breed roaches and you are the first I have come across that has had this problem. I know of one other person with allergies to crickets, who is fine with roaches. This is not to negate the information that people should be aware of the potential risk, especially those with other allergies. However, suggesting that everyone should give up roaches altogether is alarmist and unnecessary. Its like saying no one should keep reptiles because they can carry Salmonella. While it is a risk that people should be aware of, it does not mean we should all give up our animals as a result.

And no, I dont sell roaches, nor do I overreact to information I dont understand. Seems to me I do remember your name being attached to parrot food though.

JeffFisher

Original Poster
Yeah, parrot food is fine. It doesnt carry leprosy.

I think we both are making valid points. But when you publically accuse someone of using "scare tactics" it is very rude.
Also stating "the rest of us should be just fine" is horribly dismissive. It also sounds as if you speak for EVERYONE on this forum, and "you" (meaning the entire forum) all disagree with me.
I sent my original post because I do feel it is important information and people should be aware of my concerns about having roaches in the home. Even more so if there are children in the home.
Some of the information may have been collected from lower income homes, butvnot all. Medical studies are usually a random selection of the population. The other sites reporting 40%-45% didnt say.

The risk for TB, leprosy, salmonella probably shouldnt have been mentioned. It just muddied the water and distracted from the allergy information. I agree that contacting those diseases are slim, but should also be known. Roaches are not sterile (meaning clean...not infertile) bugs. But viruses and infections can be transmitted through breeding colonies. And on to your reptiles as well.
Less chance of that in the home colonies probably.The cricket virus that put many cricket farms out of business is proof of viruses...and yes I know that was not passed on to humans.

But my main point about the link to asthma, is to inform that there are health risks involved. Not to scare you or anyone else. Infact we would not even be discussing this now if my information wasn't rudly and publically dismissed.

Happy herpin'

JeffFisher

Original Poster
Jarich

The studies I looked at I dont think differentiated between socioeconomics in allergy conections. I dont think roaches care if you are rich or poor.

The very first web page I looked at after your post did say leprosy can be spread by roaches. There were many, many more of them. I can't link them all here.

But if you type "roaches leprosy" into your search engine it will show a bunch.

It also mention cryptospordium...which has killed a lot of reptiles. It also has made owners ill as well.

Heres the info
http://www.gopetsamerica.com/diseases/diseases-spread-by-cockroaches.aspx

jarich

Juvie Member
JeffFisher":tz5shvlf said:
Yeah, parrot food is fine. It doesnt carry leprosy.

I think we both are making valid points. But when you publically accuse someone of using "scare tactics" it is very rude.
Also stating "the rest of us should be just fine" is horribly dismissive. It also sounds as if you speak for EVERYONE on this forum, and "you" (meaning the entire forum) all disagree with me.
I sent my original post because I do feel it is important information and people should be aware of my concerns about having roaches in the home. Even more so if there are children in the home.
Some of the information may have been collected from lower income homes but I dont remember reading that. Medical studies are usually a random selection of the population. The other sites reporting 40%-45% didnt say.

The risk for TB, leprosy, salmonella probably shouldnt have been mentioned. It just muddied the water and distracted from the allergy information. I agree that contacting those diseases are slim, but should also be known. Roaches are not sterile (meaning clean...not infertile) bugs. But viruses and infections can be transmitted through breeding colonies. And on to your reptiles as well.
Less chance of that in the home colonies probably.The cricket virus that put many cricket farms out of business is proof of viruses...and yes I know that was not passed on to humans.

But my main point about the link to asthma, is to inform that there are health risks involved. Not to scare you or anyone else. Infact we would not even be discussing this now if my information wasn't rudly and publically dismissed.

Happy herpin'

The parrot food thing was a joke Jeff. ;)

The dispute I had with your original post was not that I disagreed with you saying that it is a possibility that people could be allergic, and that they should be aware of the possibility of it causing a problem. Its a risk that exists, however slight, and I agree its good for people to know.

My issue was with your first statements talking about "instant death", "rapid fatalities" etc. That "children are very prone to asthma caused by roach allergies that can cause anaphalaxis which could also be fatal". And I also had issue with your conclusion being that "if you have children, remove roaches from your list of food items". You stated the worst outcomes (death, cancer, etc) and then brought the most fragile into the mix (people's children). Thats a pretty textbook technique, and is usually employed when there isnt sufficient evidence to create the desired reaction. Had you merely stated that you had this reaction, that it was something people should be aware of, and that it might be a risk to others, it wouldve made perfect sense. However, the impression you gave is that this is a very common and sudden thing and people would be bad parents if they continued raising roaches around children. Since I myself have two, I felt it was probably a good idea to temper your statements with a little clarity.

Im sorry you had this experience, but it is a very unusual experience in the context of what we are discussing, namely the keeping of a particular type of roach in a controlled and cleaned setting. Im sure that was a very scary thing to have happen, however, it does not mean that all people should stop using/breeding a very good food source, which is perfectly safe for most people to use, or that they should be afraid for the lives of their children.

The keeping of dragons is itself a much higher risk than the keeping of roaches as food. Earlier this year over 130 people in the US got very sick from Salmonella poisoning caused by dragons. Some had to be hospitalized, and the greater majority of them were children. That was just one outbreak, and it seems to be a relatively common occurrence because of a lack of education and cleanliness. That Im aware of, you were the only person to ever be hospitalized due to roach allergies brought on by breeding B. dubia for reptile food. That is not to say that there may not be others, but rather that it does not seem to be a very common occurrence. Since we arent going to suggest here that people stop keeping dragons or other reptiles, I think it may be alarmist to suggest that they also completely stop keeping roaches. The education of the risk in essence negates it, and so we can move past it. Im not trying to be rude, I just dont want you discouraging the use of a very fine and safe feeder insect that has made keeping a variety of food items affordable for numerous keepers here.

JeffFisher

Original Poster
Text book of what?
You confused me on that. I always discuss worse case senarios. I dont suger coat anything.
I never said people were bad parents for having roaches. You are twisting my words into something I didnt say. The reason children were mentioned was because the risk is highest for children. I do strongly recommend against roaches for anyone with or without children. Anaphlactic reaction was also mentioned in the report I read. The rates were higher with children than adults.
I stated what the worst case senerio could be. What I said is totally true. If you feel it is safe for you and your family that is your choice. I provided documentation of the risks. Please provide me with information stating roaches are safe. I am am willing to look at all the information you provide. I may even change my thoughts on it. I stated my thoughts on it, and will even publically admit I am wrong.
Again, I do strongly suggest people do not have roaches in their homes it is unhealthy for adults and children. I provided information to prove it. If I stated my thought on it a way that made you feel I was an alarmist, or singling you out, I am sorry. I dont even know you. But to publically disregard someones information that is backed up by documentation in a publically rude way is not very polite.
Lets agree to disagree, in a polite way.

jarich

Juvie Member
I think you might have just provided a glowing reference for the definition of irony. indeed we can agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom