Rip Ash

I'm having a much more difficult time than I ever thought I would with this but my friend just died last Wednesday and I'm a bit torn up over it. I've been wanting to come on here and post about it but couldn't gather up the words. I finally sign in and see this memorial area so that's amazing.

He was close to 7 years old and I can't stop thinking about what I could have done differently. I knew something was off the last few months. He barely moved and wouldn't eat anything. I even tried force feeding him through a syringe but after a week of that he started getting real angry with me... Shaking his head, his spikes got harder than I've ever felt and were stabbing into me.

Now I'm in this weird place where I don't want to erase him from my family's lives but having his empty tank linger around in our living room just brings back memories all day long. Sorry if this is weird but he was a family member to me and I feel so terrible because I've had kids over the last few years and once the kids came, it was more difficult to bring him to play every single day like I used to. I constantly feel like I let him down and he was depressed.

Thanks for reading. It feels good to get this out. People around me don't understand.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is very hard losing a dragon --- you become attached to them -- dont feel bad about the way you feel - it is normal after losing a beloved pet - they become family members - I know the feeling of looking at a empty tank as well -- it is depressing - in time you may like to get another dragon - but I would grieve first and heal - I am sorry for Ash and you - did you post on here about him and what was going on w/ him?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My condolences, i lost a dragon in April so know what your going through. They are family, and it hurts. Just try to remember all the good stuff and when your ready get yourself another. They can never be replaced but tbat isn't why you get the next one. It's to give you something else to focus on. Myself I'm slightly OCD if i don't find a way to shift my mindset i will obsess. I know not everyone heals in the same way, but getting snicker doodle helped me tremendously get over loosing chomp.

nickanthony

Original Poster
It is very hard losing a dragon --- you become attached to them -- dont feel bad about the way you feel - it is normal after losing a beloved pet - they become family members - I know the feeling of looking at a empty tank as well -- it is depressing - in time you may like to get another dragon - but I would grieve first and heal - I am sorry for Ash and you - did you post on here about him and what was going on w/ him?
Thank you for that. Yeah I'm not sure about the tank yet. I may want another one in the future. Need to let this settle in first before I think about that.

I've posted on here about him in the past but nothing about his recent issues. He stopped eating out of the blue and started shaking. I could tell he was starting to struggle with moving around. I took him to the vet, they did blood tests and couldn't find anything wrong. I notice I had neglected his nails so went through the process of cutting those with high hopes but he just kept getting worse and worse without eating. That week I force fed him, he got visibly better but then he wouldn't let me continue that. It's hard not knowing what signs I missed back when it wasn't that bad.

nickanthony

Original Poster
My condolences, i lost a dragon in April so know what your going through. They are family, and it hurts. Just try to remember all the good stuff and when your ready get yourself another. They can never be replaced but tbat isn't why you get the next one. It's to give you something else to focus on. Myself I'm slightly OCD if i don't find a way to shift my mindset i will obsess. I know not everyone heals in the same way, but getting snicker doodle helped me tremendously get over loosing chomp.
I'm kind of feeling that same way right now. Like getting another will help. But I need to wait until my kids get a little older. It was so hard finding time to let ash out and make sure the kids don't jump on him. I feel bad for neglecting him after our second came along. I'm also nervous as hell that I did something wrong which makes me nervous about getting another.

Thanks for the nice words and sharing your experience. My condolences to you as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm kind of feeling that same way right now. Like getting another will help. But I need to wait until my kids get a little older. It was so hard finding time to let ash out and make sure the kids don't jump on him. I feel bad for neglecting him after our second came along. I'm also nervous as hell that I did something wrong which makes me nervous about getting another.

Thanks for the nice words and sharing your experience. My condolences to you as well.
Please go over the husbandry of Ash's -- we then can see what might have been the cause for him --- we always go over peoples tanks when they post issues going on w/ their dragons

nickanthony

Original Poster
I can't find any good pictures of his tank. They might be on my girlfriends phone.

75 gallon tank. It was a deep tank so I built him a very large platform for basking that doubled as a cave below. He was maybe 6-8" from his heat lamp at the top with a temperature around 95 - 100 degrees. Floor was that carpet you can get from pet stores with two tile slabs that were probably 5 x 10" each where his food bowl was. He used to have a tree on that side that he'd always hang out on so I made that a lighter basking area with another lower wattage heat lamp. When he stopped using the tree, I got him a little platform he could crawl up on over there. At ground level, it was roughly 75 degrees on that side. Humidity was between 30 to 35%. No water bowl kept in tank. 3 foot t8 bulb reptisun 10.0 changed every 6 months. That was mounted inside the tank and fixed to the back wall.

I need to find a good picture. Not sure if that description helps or not.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I can't find any good pictures of his tank. They might be on my girlfriends phone.

75 gallon tank. It was a deep tank so I built him a very large platform for basking that doubled as a cave below. He was maybe 6-8" from his heat lamp at the top with a temperature around 95 - 100 degrees. Floor was that carpet you can get from pet stores with two tile slabs that were probably 5 x 10" each where his food bowl was. He used to have a tree on that side that he'd always hang out on so I made that a lighter basking area with another lower wattage heat lamp. When he stopped using the tree, I got him a little platform he could crawl up on over there. At ground level, it was roughly 75 degrees on that side. Humidity was between 30 to 35%. No water bowl kept in tank. 3 foot t8 bulb reptisun 10.0 changed every 6 months. That was mounted inside the tank and fixed to the back wall.

I need to find a good picture. Not sure if that description helps or not.
Was the T 8 in a fixture/ hood? How far from the basking decor?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Fixture. I'd say 10" from his main basking spot
Ok T 8 's distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - again I am sorry about ash- when your ready come back on here and we can help you get the tank set up

nickanthony

Original Poster
Ok T 8 's distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - again I am sorry about ash- when your ready come back on here and we can help you get the tank set up
Thank you. Is the t8's distance important to any other part of the tank? I guess I was always going for a spot where he'd get maximum impact throughout the whole cage. But if it's only effective at 6-8" I suppose that's pointless...

I mean, I definitely thought when he stopped moving as much that he was getting that bone disease but thought the vet would be able to tell. They said everything was good though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you. Is the t8's distance important to any other part of the tank? I guess I was always going for a spot where he'd get maximum impact throughout the whole cage. But if it's only effective at 6-8" I suppose that's pointless...

I mean, I definitely thought when he stopped moving as much that he was getting that bone disease but thought the vet would be able to tell. They said everything was good though.
Did they take x-rays to see where the calcium was?

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom