Revamping Furniture - A Unique Spin In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
This thread has me hooked! I wondering about the weight of the viv though. A mini fridge plus wood on the inside sounds really darn heavy. I know you need the wood for your design, but could someone (like me :oops: ) just leave the wood out of it? Once the insulation was removed, was it left with a plastic like liner? Sorry for all the questions but I'm so intrigued! I love new ideas! :D

Sinya

Original Poster
@ Flynnthedragon:It will be right sideup, like a regular minifridge. :) Thank you!

@Morphmom: I'm so glad you like it! I promise to post more pics when we have them. For the moment, we have put the fridge aside until the bf can work on it in earnest. It should be completed by the end of November.

As for your insulation question: under the styrofoam-like insulation, it was pretty much a metal shell of the fridge.I wouldn't recommend just using that but I suppose someone could build a styrofoam lining, much like that of the people who have built furniture and backgrounds that way. I understand your hatred of wood - ugh for spot cleaning it! It is pretty heavy as it is and I have just left it up to the bf to cart it everywhere. :p

Yay for questions! I love them! Bring on more if you like. :)

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Hmmm...interesting. Do you think you could get away with not taking out the insulation? I woulder if the lining could take the heat from the lights...hmmm... :study:

Sinya

Original Poster
morphmom":1klysshq said:
Hmmm...interesting. Do you think you could get away with not taking out the insulation? I woulder if the lining could take the heat from the lights...hmmm... :study:

You probably could. I would gouge it and rough it a little, maybe take a leather pattern-maker to it so that it would have purchase for any climbing beardies. If you look back at the photo I took of the closeup of inside while removing the insulation, you can see that it is really slick. I think it would take on heat since it takes on cold when it's a fridge. The only thing I would worry about then is the wiring from the light (you can see the wires coming out of the side) - that would have to be covered up somehow.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Hmmm Might be to small if its upright. For a juvi it would be ok. side ways would be better :) but for a 2 month it will be fine upright :) They grow really fast :p

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
It might work for an adult or even a juvie. I like this idea and can't wait to see it finished. I'm quite curious on how you're going to vent it....and incorporate lights since they were not in your plans.

Sinya

Original Poster
Well, I've actually revamped the design since it's going to be used for my baby monitor, Cujo, now. I don't have new design plans computered generated this time but I will have tons of pictures.To answer a few questions:

We are tearing out those inches of insulation for more room.
Drilling holes in the sides for vents at strategic places.
Lights were in the drawn-up plans but not the computer generated ones. They were going to go inside the divider from the freezer section and fridge section. So they would slide in and out of it for when they needed to be changed.

Now, I'm taking out the divider and just making it one large section. There will be lights on the top and lights attached to the bottom of one of the levels so that the lower section also gets light.

Hopefully this should be completed by Monday :) So one more week!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Oh! How lovely! :D You could post pics of Cujo under the "other reptile" section! I'd love, love, love to see him! :blob5:

Sinya

Original Poster
Well the bf fiddled away his vacation time because he didn't think it would be hard to take out the insulation :roll: and waited till the last day to do it. Long story and some arguments later, the insulation is 90% taken out and he left it at his parents' place.... needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. But hopefully i can get his butt in gear and he'll have it done before christmas. :( Sorry guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom