restless and black beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencer118

Hatchling Member
so for the past few days my bearded dragon has been restless and i didnt think much of it, today i took her out of her cage and she ran around on my couch i noticed she had a black beard but she was still active and had normal colors otherwise.

the temps in her tank are about 93-106 on the basking area and about 72-75 on the cold side, shes 1 year old she eats normally and poops normally

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
so for the past few days my bearded dragon has been restless and i didnt think much of it, today i took her out of her cage and she ran around on my couch i noticed she had a black beard but she was still active and had normal colors otherwise.

the temps in her tank are about 93-106 on the basking area and about 72-75 on the cold side, shes 1 year old she eats normally and poops normally
Could be hormones- are you taking basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer- and what kind of uvb- tube or coil? Need to rule those things out before we say it's hormones- can she see her reflection?

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hi there!

Just off the top of my head without a bunch of info - here are a few thoughts:

I was wondering if your dragon is possibly starting a shed / in the midst of shedding? I know my girl gets restless and sometimes parts of her beard will get a bit dark off and on during the shed process. Right now, her head/face/mouth are getting very gray/white and she’s been a bit listless the last week to say the least 🙂

Also - and I do not have first hand experience with this - has she ever been gravid before / laid infertile eggs before? My girl has actually never laid a clutch, but I know people that do have gravid dragons say they get a restless, with some black bearding, glass surfing, attempts to dig (any or all of the above or more) when they are gravid.

Another thought would be temps or lighting being off, or if she happened to recent wake up from burmation? Sometimes the hormones can rage and they can get a little all over the place.

I see your girl is 1 year old - her temps seem to be good - unless her basking surface temp is off - what are the actual bask surface temps and how do you measure those? Is the 93 -106 ambient air temps or surface temps?

I feel like when my girl was juvie and even at a year old sub adult/young adult, she was often in states of ups and downs - bursts of engery here and there - moods - basically a wild child. Even now at close to 11 years old, she still will act this way from time to time - especially during her face sheds and/or a few weeks after waking up from brumation (which she is going through BOTH of those right now!)

Has anything changes as far as your girls environment, her viv, tank moved, etc?

It’s good that she’s eating well and pooping well!

And if all of this is ruled out - or nothing comes to mind - she may just be going through some dragon moods or dragon shenanigans! 😂❤️

Look forward to hearing back from you! What’s your girls name?

spencer118

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Could be hormones- are you taking basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer- and what kind of uvb- tube or coil? Need to rule those things out before we say it's hormones- can she see her reflection?
im taking temps w a digital thermometer and a tube reptisun 5.0 uvb tube. i dont think she can see her reflection

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
im taking temps w a digital thermometer and a tube reptisun 5.0 uvb tube. i dont think she can see her reflection
Ok please swap out the 5.0 bulb for a 10.0 bulb --- if inside the tank have distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece - if your using it on top of the screen your screen MUST BE A WIDE HOLE type -- no fine screen like a screen door - the 5.0 cannot get thru the screen blocking 30% of the rays and the 10.0 will get some but it still would need to go inside for better effectiveness -- your dragons behavior could be the cause of lack of UVB -- wont know till you correct it ---

spencer118

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi there!

I was wondering if your dragon is possibly starting a shed / in the midst of shedding? I know my girl gets restless and sometimes parts of her beard will get a bit dark off and on during the shed process. Right now, her head/face/mouth are getting very gray/white and she’s been a bit listless the last week to say the least 🙂

Also - and I do not have first hand experience with this - has she ever been gravid before / laid infertile eggs before? My girl has actually never laid a clutch, but I know people that do have gravid dragons say they get a restless, with some black bearding, glass surfing, attempts to dig (any or all of the above or more) when they are gravid.

Another thought would be temps or lighting being off, or if she happened to recent wake up from burmation? Sometimes the hormones can rage and they can get a little all over the place.

I see your girl is 1 year old - her temps seem to be good - unless her basking surface temp is off - what are the actual bask surface temps and how do you measure those? Is the 93 -106 ambient air temps or surface temps?

I feel like when my girl was juvie and even at a year old sub adult/young adult, she was often in states of ups and downs - bursts of engery here and there - moods - basically a wild child. Even now at close to 11 years old, she still will act this way from time to time - especially during her face sheds and/or a few weeks after waking up from brumation (which she is going through BOTH of those right now!)

Has anything changes as far as your girls environment, her viv, tank moved, etc?

And if all of this is ruled out - or nothing comes to mind - she may just be going through some dragon moods or dragon shenanigans! 😂❤️

Look forward to hearing back from you! What’s your

Ok please swap out the 5.0 bulb for a 10.0 bulb --- if inside the tank have distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece - if your using it on top of the screen your screen MUST BE A WIDE HOLE type -- no fine screen like a screen door - the 5.0 cannot get thru the screen blocking 30% of the rays and the 10.0 will get some but it still would need to go inside for better effectiveness -- your dragons behavior could be the cause of lack of UVB -- wont know till you correct it ---
yeah i was thinking of replacing it, but thank you for telling me

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yeah i was thinking of replacing it, but thank you for telling me
Ok try that and see what she does --- if nothing changes and shes still doing it we will haft to think of other causes --- how big is the tank ? they will glass surf if the tank is too small and they have out grown it --- also is she doing a lot of digging? or just the glass surfing?

spencer118

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi there!

Look forward to hearing back from you! What’s your girls name?
i dont think she will shed anytime soon, shes never laid infertile eggs
Ok try that and see what she does --- if nothing changes and shes still doing it we will haft to think of other causes --- how big is the tank ? they will glass surf if the tank is too small and they have out grown it --- also is she doing a lot of digging? or just the glass surfing?
shes in a 40 gallon right now, it hasnt been problem until now. she does go into her cave thing and scratch at the walls sometimes its not just the glass surfing she does pace around sometimes

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i dont think she will shed anytime soon, shes never laid infertile eggs

shes in a 40 gallon right now, it hasnt been problem until now. she does go into her cave thing and scratch at the walls sometimes its not just the glass surfing she does pace around sometimes
Ok that too could be the cause as well- full size dragons optimal tank size is a 75-120 gallon tank--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom