REST IN PEACE CLEOPATRA (10.10.2022 )

Our much loved and uber spoilt little lady Cleopatra died peacefully and comfortably in her sleep this afternoon , died showing her happy colours and just a slight BB.

She had been suffering an invasive bone cancer that suddenly started in her pelvic region a few months ago ( developed a spur there - thought she must have broken her pelvis somehow in her tank , but vet said it was unbroken and this was boney growth (he'd never one on a lizard before) - inoperable and didn't seem to impede or bother her til a few weeks ago when it doubled in size and invaded her ribs and her right arm , and likely invaded her torso .

Vet told us beardies are susceptable to cancer and she had a poor prognosis , even if they surgically removed as much of the boney growth as possible (appeared suddenly over a few days) , her quality of life after surgery would be very bad ( if it's invaded her spinal track ) so we opted to let nature take it's course and give her the best life quality for what was left of her time.

Vet gave us pain relief to keep ( frozen in fridge ready to inject daily doses enough for 4 weeks , never used ) and told me to use if she started BBing ( in pain / much discomfort ) , but only time we saw her BB was today (only on her fringe spines).

As a result the cancer there was resulting big loss of apetite in the last few weeks ( went off her food so had to resort back to daily small feeds of her fav insects ( crickets ) , her she'd only tolerate 4 or 5 medium crickets or 2 superworms ( had to cut these up) ,suspect stomache capacity was being reduced by cancer in her organs , wouldn't touch her greens anymore , which she usually loved ( choy leaf , berries ), or live superworms ( previously loved them ) .

Since she was off her bugs and greens , I started offering daily drinks of water which she seemed to enjoy ( dropwize on a little round food tub lid which she'd lick dry a few drops at a time).

In her last 2weeks she became very lethargic , and her skull fat deposits gradually became depleted and eyesockets sunken, resorted to Herpaboost paste as a top up given as a sup using my cone nozzle syringe , so knew she was on terminally ill.

So more quality dad and mum time and treats =
manuka honey by syringe with food ,
daily meals of her fav bugs ( added mealworms and mealworm pupae ( loved them til then the end ) .

Was still pooing regularly daily ( multiple times , and thermoregulating ) til today when she chose the cool spot in her tank for a final nap , placed her on her heatslab and she refused to stay there ( usually loved it) .
We discovered her lifeless a hour later , thought she was asleep , was cool so placed her on her basking spot ( was very limp ).
Checked 2 hour later RM had set in , not sign of life . She now in wrapped in paper towels in a sealed freezer bag in the freezer waiting to be buried .... perhaps in a few months when we take the thick plastic sheets off the 3 small herb veg beds , wormbomb ( add worm eggs ) and prep for seedlings and seeds .

Going to miss her uperty attitude , her charisma , and her affectionate interactions, and our nightly cuddles.

Fluffy and Caesar have noted her absense and been looking at her ( now dark empty ) tank .... they know something has happened to her.

RIP Little Cleo.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Our much loved and uber spoilt little lady Cleopatra died peacefully and comfortably in her sleep this afternoon , died showing her happy colours and just a slight BB.

She had been suffering an invasive bone cancer that suddenly started in her pelvic region a few months ago ( developed a spur there - thought she must have broken her pelvis somehow in her tank , but vet said it was unbroken and this was boney growth (he'd never one on a lizard before) - inoperable and didn't seem to impede or bother her til a few weeks ago when it doubled in size and invaded her ribs and her right arm , and likely invaded her torso .

Vet told us beardies are susceptable to cancer and she had a poor prognosis , even if they surgically removed as much of the boney growth as possible (appeared suddenly over a few days) , her quality of life after surgery would be very bad ( if it's invaded her spinal track ) so we opted to let nature take it's course and give her the best life quality for what was left of her time.

Vet gave us pain relief to keep ( frozen in fridge ready to inject daily doses enough for 4 weeks , never used ) and told me to use if she started BBing ( in pain / much discomfort ) , but only time we saw her BB was today (only on her fringe spines).

As a result the cancer there was resulting big loss of apetite in the last few weeks ( went off her food so had to resort back to daily small feeds of her fav insects ( crickets ) , her she'd only tolerate 4 or 5 medium crickets or 2 superworms ( had to cut these up) ,suspect stomache capacity was being reduced by cancer in her organs , wouldn't touch her greens anymore , which she usually loved ( choy leaf , berries ), or live superworms ( previously loved them ) .

Since she was off her bugs and greens , I started offering daily drinks of water which she seemed to enjoy ( dropwize on a little round food tub lid which she'd lick dry a few drops at a time).

In her last 2weeks she became very lethargic , and her skull fat deposits gradually became depleted and eyesockets sunken, resorted to Herpaboost paste as a top up given as a sup using my cone nozzle syringe , so knew so was on her way out ,

So more quality dad and mum time and treats =
manuka honey by syringe with food ,
daily meals of her fav bugs ( added mealworms and mealworm pupae ( loved them til then the end ) .

Was still pooing regularly daily ( multiple times , and thermoregulating ) til today when she chose the cool spot in her tank for a final nap , placed her on her heatslab and she refused to stay there ( usually loved it) .
We discovered her lifeless a hour later , thought she was asleep , was cool so placed her on her basking spot ( was very limp ).
Checked 2 hour later RM had set in , not sign of life . She now in wrapped in paper towels in a sealed freezer bag in the freezer waiting to be buried .... perhaps in a few months when we take the thick plastic sheets off the 3 small herb veg beds , wormbomb ( add worm eggs ) and prep for seedlings and seeds .

Going to miss her uperty attitude , her charisma , and her affectionate interactions, and our nightly cuddles.

Fluffy and Caesar have noted her absense and been looking at her ( now dark empty tank ) .... they know something has happened to her.

RIP Little Cleo.
Sorry to hear about her - I remember you talking about Cleo:(

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
I’m so sorry to hear, she had such a great life with you, you have my condolences.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Very sorry to hear that you lost Cleo, I'm glad that she didn't suffer too much right to the end. My condolences to you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Very sorry to hear that you lost Cleo, I'm glad that she didn't suffer too much right to the end. My condolences to you.
Have you come across anything similar in dragons you've kept or seen ?....

Not mentioned at all in my key refs :
Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards (M.Swan)
Bearded Dragon Manual (P. De Vosjoil)
Australian Dragons In Captivity (D. BROWN)
A Guide to Health and Disease in Reptiles and Amphibians ( R.Johnson & B.Carmel)
Inhouse reptile vets at Gosford Reptlle Pk and Australia Zoo both told me they've never seen this .

Last edited:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Fluffy and Caesar were quite spoilt by my wife and I this evening , one each ( Fluffy's my girl , Caesar loved the long cuddles from both us ).

George and Mildred out today after their feed and they both spotted Cleo's tank was dark and obsessed over it for while .... then picked up wild water skink scent on the carpet ( we had 4 inside simultaneously on Sunday ) they went looking for them ( not to eat , but to make friends ).
Yes Cheakie is back , gave me a lovely greeting , came right up to me as soon as I sat down , gently nibbled my finger tips & climbed onto my thigh ( hint hint ) .
Tails is back
Junior is back
and a new adult very pregnant female who has a glorious "original issue" , very long and expressive tail , she's a little bit cautious but coming around , even took a cricket from me on Sunday.

Last edited:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor Cleo, I'm sorry to hear this. I'm glad she didn't appear to be suffering for too long. It's too bad that there was nothing to be done to treat it. She enjoyed a happy life with you and that matters a great deal.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom