RESPIRATORY INFECTION????

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning when I went in my animal room to turn everyone’s heat and lights on for the day I noticed my beardie was open mouth breathing, which sometimes he does when he gets hot so I didn’t think to much about it. But I went back in about an hour later and he did it again. So I picked him up and looked at him and I noticed one of his nostrils is blocked my (maybe mucus?) or maybe shed I’m not sure. I tried to listen to his breathing and it sounds almost like a snotty nose is the best way to put it. No eye discharge, he’s always lazy so it’s hard to say with that. And he did eat bugs yesterday so he was eating fine. His basking area gets plenty hot (around 100 degrees give or take) and ambient temp is always at LEAST 85 normally higher) we are in our dry season so humidity has been in the 30s. I do turn heat and everything off at night. My house stays around 75 during the night. Do you think this could be a respiratory Infection? Should I make a vet appointment?

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
To edit: he isn’t continuously open mouth breathing. He will do it then if he sees me he will shut his mouth. And he’s soaking right now and is not open mouth breathing.

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
After his warm soak I haven’t seen him open mouth breath again, and he ate some blueberries. But his nose is still crusty and gross. I tried cleaning it off but it’s pretty stuck and I don’t want to hurt him. (It’s only one nostril)

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
To edit: he isn’t continuously open mouth breathing. He will do it then if he sees me he will shut his mouth. And he’s soaking right now and is not open mouth breathing.
I’m by no means an expert on this but I had similar concerns with my guy when he was little and he would sometimes have his mouth open but clearly was not the same thing as when he was gaping from being at his optimal temperature and just letting heat escape from his body before moving from his basking area. I think you’d have peace of mind if you were able to have a good reptile vet take a look and possibly do a fecal test if you haven’t already. I remember I would pick him up when he was little and listen to him breathe lol. But people say there’s normally a distinct popping sound with respiratory infection? But like you said it could be stuck shed find a way to try and wipe his nostrils and see if it clears the blockage?

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I’m by no means an expert on this but I had similar concerns with my guy when he was little and he would sometimes have his mouth open but clearly was not the same thing as when he was gaping from being at his optimal temperature and just letting heat escape from his body before moving from his basking area. I think you’d have peace of mind if you were able to have a good reptile vet take a look and possibly do a fecal test if you haven’t already. I remember I would pick him up when he was little and listen to him breathe lol. But people say there’s normally a distinct popping sound with respiratory infection? But like you said it could be stuck shed find a way to try and wipe his nostrils and see if it clears the blockage?
I know my dragon ate some pumpkin one time and it crusted over one of his nostrils and I had a heck of a time trying to peel it off. I’m sure I didn’t do it the best way but I finally was able to get my finger nail underneath the crusty area and gently sort of scrape it off?

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
He is kinda acting normal now??? I haven’t seen him open mouth breath for over an hour now. His color is fine no black beard. I tried to give him unsweetened applesauce because he hasn’t pooped in a while. (He’s about 4 years old) and I’ve had him about 6 months, the previous owner said he has NEVER had a pooping schedule, he will go two weeks without pooping.

Attachments

• 8B96341F-26CE-4803-87DB-8E259A8607C1.jpeg
    8B96341F-26CE-4803-87DB-8E259A8607C1.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 103

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
I know my dragon ate some pumpkin one time and it crusted over one of his nostrils and I had a heck of a time trying to peel it off. I’m sure I didn’t do it the best way but I finally was able to get my finger nail underneath the crusty area and gently sort of scrape it off?
This is his clogged nose. I tried gently rubbing it during his soak, and I tried the corner of my nail but it’s super stuck. And if it is shed I don’t want to force it off.

Attachments

• B584BA14-8FF9-413E-B029-FC384A6CFFE3.jpeg
    B584BA14-8FF9-413E-B029-FC384A6CFFE3.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 106

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I’m by no means an expert on this but I had similar concerns with my guy when he was little and he would sometimes have his mouth open but clearly was not the same thing as when he was gaping from being at his optimal temperature and just letting heat escape from his body before moving from his basking area. I think you’d have peace of mind if you were able to have a good reptile vet take a look and possibly do a fecal test if you haven’t already. I remember I would pick him up when he was little and listen to him breathe lol. But people say there’s normally a distinct popping sound with respiratory infection? But like you said it could be stuck shed find a way to try and wipe his nostrils and see if it clears the
This is his clogged nose. I tried gently rubbing it during his soak, and I tried the corner of my nail but it’s super stuck. And if it is shed I don’t want to force it off.
Yeah I agree don’t force it off but it doesn’t look like discharge like I’ve seen pictures of but again I’ve never experienced respiratory issues? My guy is also 4 I’ve had him since he was a baby and he’s never pooped regularly lol. Sometimes he’s gone a month or longer and they don’t eat nearly as much the older they get so don’t worry about that to much. This time of year they slow down possibly brumate. What kind of UVB are you using?

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Yeah I agree don’t force it off but it doesn’t look like discharge like I’ve seen pictures of but again I’ve never experienced respiratory issues? My guy is also 4 I’ve had him since he was a baby and he’s never pooped regularly lol. Sometimes he’s gone a month or longer and they don’t eat nearly as much the older they get so don’t worry about that to much. This time of year they slow down possibly brumate. What kind of UVB are you using?
I swear these little guy’s cause us to worry and stress and are a true test of our love for a creature that makes us better people lol. I’ve literally spent unbelievable amounts of time worrying and reading and researching about these guy’s it’s crazy. Sometimes I just tell myself I’m providing him good UVB and heat and love him like my children lol and everything else ok. They know what they need and as long as you provide all the things necessary for them to be healthy they’ll use the UVB and heat like they need to. Also I’ve found soaking them really stresses them out at least mine? I just drip water over his nose every day and he usually drinks some maybe 3-4 times a week but sometimes he doesn’t.

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
Thank you! I always worry about his poop 😂😂 that makes me feel better. He is acting a lot better after his soak. I haven’t seen any more breathing through his mouth. I will keep a close eye on him for sure over the next week though. I use the Arcadia t5 12% uvb with the Arcadia fixture

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
I swear these little guy’s cause us to worry and stress and are a true test of our love for a creature that makes us better people lol. I’ve literally spent unbelievable amounts of time worrying and reading and researching about these guy’s it’s crazy. Sometimes I just tell myself I’m providing him good UVB and heat and love him like my children lol and everything else ok. They know what they need and as long as you provide all the things necessary for them to be healthy they’ll use the UVB and heat like they need to. Also I’ve found soaking them really stresses them out at least mine? I just drip water over his nose every day and he usually drinks some maybe 3-4 times a week but sometimes he doesn’t.
My dragon LOVES soaks. I put him in a bin and poor warm water over him and he almost falls asleep. His colors up so pretty every time he soaks because he’s so relaxed. I don’t do that very often (maybe once a week)

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
My dragon LOVES soaks. I put him in a bin and poor warm water over him and he almost falls asleep. His colors up so pretty every time he soaks because he’s so relaxed. I don’t do that very often (maybe once a week)
Yeah unless you see him struggling breathing and being really lethargic I wouldn’t worry about it to much but that’s just me? You literally are providing him the best UVB possible so that’s perfect and do what works for him it’s best to observe and adjust things to what he likes than do what other people tell you is what you should be doing they all like different temperatures for example.

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
Yeah unless you see him struggling breathing and being really lethargic I wouldn’t worry about it to much but that’s just me? You literally are providing him the best UVB possible so that’s perfect and do what works for him it’s best to observe and adjust things to what he likes than do what other people tell you is what you should be doing they all like different temperatures for example.
Thank you! I appreciate your advice, I was so panicked this morning when he was acting strange. But now he’s back to his normal (lazy) self 😂 they really do like to freak you out for nothing!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So his nostril was clogged up possibly? His overall physical condition looks really good. He doesn't have a black beard,
either. He is back to normal then today?
They always find something to make us stress over.

Tracie

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
Hello,

So his nostril was clogged up possibly? His overall physical condition looks really good. He doesn't have a black beard,
either. He is back to normal then today?
They always find something to make us stress over.

Tracie
Hi! Yes he has been acting normal (again he’s always lazy so it’s hard to tell really) but he has been eating bugs and fruits for me like normal. His nostril is still crusted over, I don’t want to force it off I’ve been gently rubbing it to try and loosen it. He doesn’t seem bothered when I try and rub it. It’s always something with one of my animals! They like to keep me on my toes for sure! I haven’t seen really anymore mouth breathing other than gaping when he basks so I’m not sure if his nostril was just really plugged and couldn’t breath through his nose??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom