Rescuing Simon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Simon is doing great, tail looks good, healed on its own and was cleared by the vet!

Gravid status is still a questionable. She has had symptoms of being gravid for almost 9 weeks now but no digging and no signs of laying yet. Her appetite is great and she is still restless but she does “chill out” sometimes. I let her run around the house for hours every day. She has a laybox in the house and a smaller one in her tank but she has not tried digging. Because of her lack of interest in them I’ve let them dry out a bit but I can make the sand wet again if I notice her trying to dig around the house.

Vet took more x-rays and thinks that there’s not much to worry about as long as she is eating and acting healthy. Vet hopes she will reabsorb any follicles/eggs. I’m not sure if the reproductive activity in her belly is follicles or fully formed eggs so I’m posting the x-rays here; labeled “L”. (I’m also posting the x-rays from august 15th for comparison; labeled “R”).

I’d like to get her to her forever home but I’m not sure I should move her until this whole gravid thing is fully worked out. Or would that be okay?
@AHBD she can help better here w / this issue

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm guessing that would depend on her new hooman, if they know how to deal with it and are willing than it's probably ok, i don't think i would send her home with a first time owner though.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Yes I would definitely make sure they knew what they were doing.

But what about the relocation stress in general? Could that maybe increase the risk of egg-binding?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
In both xrays there appear to be eggs/follicles but the latest one they look smaller, maybe she has reabsorbed some. I don't think it would be an issue to rehome her if you were sure that the new owner would be careful and let her settle in, plus have a laybox available. Relocation stress is a possibility but it wouldn't necessarily lead to egg binding. The choice is yours if you want to wait a while or not.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
In both xrays there appear to be eggs/follicles but the latest one they look smaller, maybe she has reabsorbed some. I don't think it would be an issue to rehome her if you were sure that the new owner would be careful and let her settle in, plus have a laybox available. Relocation stress is a possibility but it wouldn't necessarily lead to egg binding. The choice is yours if you want to wait a while or not.
Are you sure you’re looking in the right order? The one with the “L” (for left) is the more recent one. Vet said they got bigger and I felt the same.

And what about the timeline? Vet said gravid cycle is roughly 7 weeks so what does it mean if it’s been longer than that and nothing has happened?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., I thought the newer Xrays ones were smaller on the right so I misunderstood. I'm not sure how long a dragon can have infertile eggs because I've only had one dragon lay infertile eggs if I remember correctly , the rest of my females I bred and they would lay about every 3 weeks when they were mated. A few other females I sold as young adults that were not bred .

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Okay. I’m going to talk to her prospective new owner tomorrow and I’ll just let her know where things are at 👍🏼

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Good news! Simon has some people interested in her!!!

Saw that her belly looked weird today though and wanted to post here. My guess is that her belly is shedding very spotty basically one scale at a time… I’ve seen one scale shed at a time on her back sometimes too. But it was a lot of scales today and I got worried it could be a fungus. Photos below (looks more prominent in-person).

Attachments

• E3CB2691-63DB-4711-A9EC-C6AFC34A59CD.jpeg
    E3CB2691-63DB-4711-A9EC-C6AFC34A59CD.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 78B25DB0-0875-47FC-8F90-4018426477CE.jpeg
    78B25DB0-0875-47FC-8F90-4018426477CE.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 57

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good news! Simon has some people interested in her!!!

Saw that her belly looked weird today though and wanted to post here. My guess is that her belly is shedding very spotty basically one scale at a time… I’ve seen one scale shed at a time on her back sometimes too. But it was a lot of scales today and I got worried it could be a fungus. Photos below (looks more prominent in-person).
Looks like spotty shed-- normal

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
More great news: Simon officially has new owners! They know all about tube UVBs, feed dubias, fresh salads daily, and want to get her a 120 gallon <3 I’m so excited they seem like real knowledgeable owners and they already have one.

Other update is: SHE STARTED DIGGING! Literally while I was still on the phone with the new owners 😅 I had to let them know it might be a couple weeks since I won’t want to interrupt the laying process. I’ve had that lay box in there for what seems like over a month and I cannot believe she chose right then to start digging lol!

I feel that moving her now would be a bad call. I don’t want to put her through relocation stress and cause egg-binding. So I think I’ll be waiting 1-2 weeks until she makes the move (or whenever she lays all the eggs).

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Man that is great news, you have done a wonderful job with her, my hat is off to you!!!

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Simon is still occasionally digging. Only interested in her smaller lay box in her tank right now. But last night I took her out and she did one of her “water poops” (just clear water) which has been happening recently. However this one was milky??? Gonna post here in case anyone has info. Just seemed weird she’s never had a milky poop before.

Attachments

• 918D06B2-7C22-4617-BCAE-7B9E9A1F037D.jpeg
    918D06B2-7C22-4617-BCAE-7B9E9A1F037D.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 65

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom