Rescuing Simon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you that is all very helpful info!!! I think her tail may naturally darken but she also has some damage to the tip right now that hasn’t fully healed.

I thought about eggs but the vet felt around and did not feel anything I guess. I didn’t specifically ask her to feel for eggs though. I considered it because of her restless behavior but she has not tried to dig in her enclosure at all yet. Maybe she would if I got her a dig box. I’ll bring it up at our next vet appointment on Teusday!

Her belly is a little bit hefty… could someone else look at the x-ray again for a second opinion?

Also: poops are looking a bit healthier!!! Evidence attached! lol
Good poop

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
With all the concern on the tail I never saw the xray pic, as SandpS mentioned it I had a look and it does look like there are eggs . You can't always feel infertile eggs but it looks like she has some from the xray. Do set up a laybox for her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry if I may have missed it but has anyone mentioned the possibility of her having eggs? When my girl has to lay she poos a lot and usually it's small urates with liquid just like a lot of your pics. Even the x-ray looks like she has eggs but I will admit I'm definitely no expert in reading them.

Another thing I just want to throw out there and again sorry if I missed anything, I've been half reading and half watching tv. But she looks like she has a black beard in some of the pics and I've noticed with one of mine when she had a black beard when she wasn't feeling well she also had a black tail.
I never saw the xray until tonight but yes it does possibly look like it ! Thanks for bringing it up !

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Oh wow okay! I feel bad because I just assumed her restless behavior was her personality since there was no mention of it at the doctors. I’ll head to the store today. Do you think she has been put at risk (of gravid-related complications like egg binding) not having a laybox yet?

And we are going to the vet on Tuesday so I will definitely get her checked out.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I missed the signs on my rescue/rehab a few weeks ago and she still laid her clutch, now she is acting the same way again so i gave her a dig box so far she has just ignored it

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I missed the signs on my rescue/rehab a few weeks ago and she still laid her clutch, now she is acting the same way again so i gave her a dig box so far she has just ignored it
Oh man all that hard work for nothing!

I am currently at home depot and my vet called. Gravid status confirmed by the bloodwork! She was about to tell me to set up a lay box for Simon when I told her I was already at home depot. Lol!

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I want to follow @AHBD ’s advice and cut out a piece of the lid for an “entrance.” Should I get a translucent or solid bin for this? Solid would make it pretty dark inside, do they prefer that? Makes it feel like a safer place to lay?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Solid color laybox is usually better so they feel like they are hidden. Every dragon is different though, at times a beardie will lay the eggs somewhere other than the laybox for whatever reason.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
lay box is set up in her favorite corner <3 pad against wall is for heating. i’ll make another smaller one in her tank. It’s only 40 gal though so might be challenging.

she didn’t have much interest today but i’ll try again tomorrow.

should i get my ceramic bulb to warm the area for the larger bin?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 71

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
If you can set it up safely it might encourage her to use it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yup, thats what i was getting at. Don't want her to get burned or knock it over and start a fire. (Im an habitual worrier lol) :cool:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Vet is recommending an amputation of the very tip of Simon’s tail where it has begun to blacken. Since the black part hasn’t started progressing (exact same for over a week) I’m just going to keep doing betadine and neosporin for now so she can focus on laying eggs.

We are scheduling the amputation for a month from now. If it progresses it’ll have to be sooner but we both agreed that we don’t want to put her through anything unless it’s urgent while she’s trying to lay.

I’ve heard the damaged part can just fall off in the betadine soak sometimes. Anyone have experience with that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Vet is recommending an amputation of the very tip of Simon’s tail where it has begun to blacken. Since the black part hasn’t started progressing (exact same for over a week) I’m just going to keep doing betadine and neosporin for now so she can focus on laying eggs.

We are scheduling the amputation for a month from now. If it progresses it’ll have to be sooner but we both agreed that we don’t want to put her through anything unless it’s urgent while she’s trying to lay.

I’ve heard the damaged part can just fall off in the betadine soak sometimes. Anyone have experience with that?
@AHBD

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom