Rescuing Simon

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
She ate some greens today!

I’m going to post another pic of the damage to the top of the tail. Seems to be blackening right above and right below the damage. Any insight would be helpful.

I’ve been trying to do the betadine 1-2 times a day but I have missed a couple of days.

Does everyone still think it is probably NOT tail rot? Could I do bloodwork to check for an infection?

Attachments

• D4CEB346-D109-493A-9BC9-34FC1DFECC2B.jpeg
    D4CEB346-D109-493A-9BC9-34FC1DFECC2B.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 72
  • C35A0F31-A03B-4128-95FD-0879A423F813.jpeg
    C35A0F31-A03B-4128-95FD-0879A423F813.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 5BC9784C-7EDA-4B61-9D11-20200F7D0AFC.jpeg
    5BC9784C-7EDA-4B61-9D11-20200F7D0AFC.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 6FCC48F4-33E4-4FA7-814C-6F6F1E2C3706.jpeg
    6FCC48F4-33E4-4FA7-814C-6F6F1E2C3706.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 7367FBB3-4F30-409C-98F0-7B50985EED9A.jpeg
    7367FBB3-4F30-409C-98F0-7B50985EED9A.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 77
  • ACA42583-F088-4992-850C-7EDF7B43E4F2.jpeg
    ACA42583-F088-4992-850C-7EDF7B43E4F2.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Success ! So the trick was to give her an entire plant. :) As for the tail it still looks like just a typical kind of post trauma with a kink/crimp caused by a bite or something. Can you post a pic of the entire tail again ?

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Success ! So the trick was to give her an entire plant. :) As for the tail it still looks like just a typical kind of post trauma with a kink/crimp caused by a bite or something. Can you post a pic of the entire tail again ?
It looks less intense right now only because the rest of her body isn’t fully lightened.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 68

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
She just lightened up a bit here…

Attachments

• E93D6DE2-8AD6-4186-90CE-0B3B4171DBE9.jpeg
    E93D6DE2-8AD6-4186-90CE-0B3B4171DBE9.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 68

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Most likely just her mood because it changes. That pic of her against the wall cracked me up, needs a caption like " You got Me ! "

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Most likely just her mood because it changes. That pic of her against the wall cracked me up, needs a caption like " You got Me ! "
hahahahaha lol! Yeah the tail color doesn’t change but when she is lighter it just looks worse and more concerning. I just did another betadine soak and Neosporin.

How do I tell if the trauma point is becoming infected?

The tip after the point of trauma is so stiff it feels like it could fall off one day.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
It's possible that it will fall off, all the while continue with the betadine routine and keep an eye on it.
Okay. I feel bad because I missed a couple days of doing the betadine but it doesn’t look like it’s progressing upwards, just around the trauma point.

On a positive note Simon’s poops are looking way better! Her appetite is still on the low side but I hope she will learn to eat salad soon. She attacks orange bell pepper and blueberries so I think it’s more stubbornness than a lack of appetite. Worms came today too! I will see if she likes them!

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Success!!! All day yesterday and today I have been offering Simon silkworm and she was REFUSING!!! She had never had them before and wasn’t interested in trying, lol!!!

My final attempt to “trick” her into trying them was a success!!!!! Finley diced orange bell pepper (the only thing miss sassy pants wants to eat) underneath too many worms to miss. Great success! She accidentally ate one and then ate them all! She is also eating all the bell pepper so I’m prepared for a very wet poop 😭 but I’m so happy to get some protein in her after she had been refusing bugs for almost a week.

(Also tried to make her greens look like a live plant… not working hahaha)

From now on there will be very small bits of bell pepper mixed into her food and hopefully that will get her eating more!

Attachments

• 769B0DD6-117A-4CB5-A8DD-3B41041EBED5.jpeg
    769B0DD6-117A-4CB5-A8DD-3B41041EBED5.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 66

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She has a sophisticated palate and will eat what she pleases. At the moment, only the finest silkworms smothered in a rich orange bell pepper sauce will do. [ Silkworm a l'orange ] The same will come out of the other end in a slightly different arrangement.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
HA HA HA HA :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: AHBD
I'm glad she decided she likes the silkworms they are one of the top staples. They have some nutrients that others don't or have in smaller amounts. baby steps :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oooop, silly me wasn't paying enough attention to the recipe and accidentally put hornworm when it clearly said silkworm. DUH. I shall change that immediately lest Clyde feel insulted that this is on her thread.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Sorry if I may have missed it but has anyone mentioned the possibility of her having eggs? When my girl has to lay she poos a lot and usually it's small urates with liquid just like a lot of your pics. Even the x-ray looks like she has eggs but I will admit I'm definitely no expert in reading them.

Another thing I just want to throw out there and again sorry if I missed anything, I've been half reading and half watching tv. But she looks like she has a black beard in some of the pics and I've noticed with one of mine when she had a black beard when she wasn't feeling well she also had a black tail.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Sorry if I may have missed it but has anyone mentioned the possibility of her having eggs? When my girl has to lay she poos a lot and usually it's small urates with liquid just like a lot of your pics. Even the x-ray looks like she has eggs but I will admit I'm definitely no expert in reading them.

Another thing I just want to throw out there and again sorry if I missed anything, I've been half reading and half watching tv. But she looks like she has a black beard in some of the pics and I've noticed with one of mine when she had a black beard when she wasn't feeling well she also had a black tail.
Thank you that is all very helpful info!!! I think her tail may naturally darken but she also has some damage to the tip right now that hasn’t fully healed.

I thought about eggs but the vet felt around and did not feel anything I guess. I didn’t specifically ask her to feel for eggs though. I considered it because of her restless behavior but she has not tried to dig in her enclosure at all yet. Maybe she would if I got her a dig box. I’ll bring it up at our next vet appointment on Teusday!

Her belly is a little bit hefty… could someone else look at the x-ray again for a second opinion?

Also: poops are looking a bit healthier!!! Evidence attached! lol

Attachments

• 77C70E1E-63B5-4699-BDE2-AF4D90913D9F.jpeg
    77C70E1E-63B5-4699-BDE2-AF4D90913D9F.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom