Rescuing Simon

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I’m not sure that she isn’t aware. I haven’t caught her in the act yet. It just appears so randomly and she normally runs away from the poop.

And yeah NO ENEMA ever. I just finished reading a 2018 thread on here where everyone said no enema and then the guys accidentally got one anyways and the beardie died and I was BAWLING reading the end. Like jesus we have to be so cautious for our beardie’s health and then even the vet is a health risk? Smh.

Last edited:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Simon does NOT have MBD!!!

I don’t know how she did it but her bones are healthy! Luckily her neglectful owners would just let her run around the yard unsupervised so she must have gotten UVB that way :) I’m sure she could still have a calcium deficiency but nothing life-long.

And her fecal came back clear! Woooo! I’m considering getting bloodwork done just to check everything. If there is no sign of infection in her blood it would help me out with the tail issue too. Today the dark part progressed a lot, and I soaked it twice yesterday, so now I’m starting to think it’s just shed too. Vet didn’t think it was tail rot until I showed her photos of how dark it looks when the rest of her body was light. Then she wasn’t sure. She said I could keep soaking twice a day for now.

Over the weekend she did a LOT of those little water poops. Like twice a day. But the last couple days her poop has cleared up a little and she is having urinate and brown poop. They’re still very small but at least she is passing actual poop.

Her appetite has been questionable. The first few day I had her she devoured roaches but now she shows little interest in them. She will eat salad but only a bite or two and only if it has bell pepper on it or something colorful that she likes. So I’m a little worried about that but I’m going to give her some time. Maybe she is shedding or something. She has lots of interest in eating the plants outside our course 🙄 lol. I can’t ensure they are safe besides the mint. When I got to give her mint from the fridge though all her interest is gone hahahaha. Only garden mint! Very picky!

I’ll attach a photo of her x-ray. The bend in the end of her tail seems to be from trauma (AKA she broke it at some point), according to the vet.

Attachments

• 5DA1907F-DA23-41B5-ADB3-900F093C995F.jpeg
    5DA1907F-DA23-41B5-ADB3-900F093C995F.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 6309A7AF-BABB-453C-B1C3-B1E331CC4F83.jpeg
    6309A7AF-BABB-453C-B1C3-B1E331CC4F83.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 2B6127F5-18B6-439A-AE68-F002C95075C1.jpeg
    2B6127F5-18B6-439A-AE68-F002C95075C1.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 66

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Im glad to hear she got the all clear, tgats great news!!!!! Hopefully the tail issue turns out to be a none issue also. She is a very lucky girl. So are you still planning to rehoming her or are you attached already??? I think I'm gonba plays the odds :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Im glad to hear she got the all clear, tgats great news!!!!! Hopefully the tail issue turns out to be a none issue also. She is a very lucky girl. So are you still planning to rehoming her or are you attached already??? I think I'm gonba plays the odds :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I am attached but I’ve only just graduated college and I am planning on moving into my own (very small) place soon and I just don’t think I have the room or time (once I start working) for two.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
The lengths I will go to 😖

She scratches at the glass door all day because she sees food outside (plants). I let her out on her leash again but with the grand idea that I would trick her into eating her salad but putting it in a glass dish amongst the real plants. She was not fooled. She went straight for the real plants. I had to stop her because I don’t know what most of them are. Out of curiosity I put her face in front of a mint plant (safe) and she attacked it like she was super hungry. For context, she has not been eating her salads. I was able to get her to eat a couple pieces of kale by throwing them in front of her.

She has an appetite just not for salad of bugs, she wants to forage I guess. Any tips on how to get her to eat her salad? I tried adding mint (she obviously likes it) and it didn’t help.

Also tail did not progress, just looked like it earlier.

Also more water poop:
86ACFEE8-8F4C-45DD-9727-E8659CD9C570.jpeg

Attachments

• 72D18405-F6CE-438B-993A-93127EAFDD3F.jpeg
    72D18405-F6CE-438B-993A-93127EAFDD3F.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 65

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
If you have room maybe set up a small garden she could graze in.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
If you have room maybe set up a small garden she could graze in.
My dad used to grow some kale. We are talking about growing some more.

I also want her to learn how to eat salad from a bowl for when she gets new owners. She DID eat her salad the first week she was here so I’m hoping she’s just going through a weird phase with her appetite. Might have something to do with the watery poops.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I’m really thinking her main issue right now is potential impaction. I’m curious if anyone has every rehabilitated a beardie who did not have propped basking available to them during their neglect. How long did it take for them to recover and pass everything once they could bask again?

Simon obviously has a great basking spot now (and uses it almost all day long) but I’m still seeing signs of impaction from bug exoskeletons.

This morning she passed another hard chunk of bug exoskeleton (has happened once before).
So she has 3 types of poop currently:
1. Basically clear water small urinate.
2. Normalish poop with urinate, on the dark side, too small.
3. Hard chunk of partially undigested bug exoskeleton. Hard and crunchy.

This morning was one hard exoskeleton poop and one normalish poop. I then gave her green bean baby food and one drop of organic olive oil. She is still not eating the roaches in her tank.

Attachments

• F09C8074-B1C0-4C7C-8A9B-8220BFA3276B.jpeg
    F09C8074-B1C0-4C7C-8A9B-8220BFA3276B.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1C4D9F0E-8E59-4D32-BBCD-78A756E13A73.jpeg
    1C4D9F0E-8E59-4D32-BBCD-78A756E13A73.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 55
  • C5B19348-A187-4A61-907D-2F8F946B4ACC.jpeg
    C5B19348-A187-4A61-907D-2F8F946B4ACC.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 52

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’m really thinking her main issue right now is potential impaction. I’m curious if anyone has every rehabilitated a beardie who did not have propped basking available to them during their neglect. How long did it take for them to recover and pass everything once they could bask again?

Simon obviously has a great basking spot now (and uses it almost all day long) but I’m still seeing signs of impaction from bug exoskeletons.

This morning she passed another hard chunk of bug exoskeleton (has happened once before).
So she has 3 types of poop currently:
1. Basically clear water small urinate.
2. Normalish poop with urinate, on the dark side, too small.
3. Hard chunk of partially undigested bug exoskeleton. Hard and crunchy.

This morning was one hard exoskeleton poop and one normalish poop. I then gave her green bean baby food and one drop of organic olive oil. She is still not eating the roaches in her tank.
I would take the roaches out of the tank and maybe feed a softer insect staple like silk worms- I had rehomed/ rescued and dragon a few years back and by the time I got her she was too far gone to save - she was severely malnourshished according to my reptile vet - I managed to keep her alive for 3 weeks and then she passed - she had a coil for a UVB was in a 20 gallon tank and I dont know if she had proper surface basking temps or not all I know is she was in really bad shape when I got her - I did my best but I believe she was too far gone as her organs started to shut down - it was heart breaking to watch her -- the person I got her from could not even tell me how old she was - she had taken her home from a petsmart that she worked at - sad story on this one

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I have a rehab that was neglected pretty bad. She was paralyzed when she was surrendered. The reptile shop did a great job getting her back on track. When we got her she still struggled to walk. She has a slight hump i her spine and her mouth was off just a little. We have her walking reasonably well now, she eats like a champ and bask really well. The biggest problem we have is that she won't try to move when she poops, she just lays in it. I think its because she was paralyzed and couldn't so know she just don't. But her poops have been normal from day one, but i couldn't say how they were when she first started being rehabed.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I would take the roaches out of the tank and maybe feed a softer insect staple like silk worms- I had rehomed/ rescued and dragon a few years back and by the time I got her she was too far gone to save - she was severely malnourshished according to my reptile vet - I managed to keep her alive for 3 weeks and then she passed - she had a coil for a UVB was in a 20 gallon tank and I dont know if she had proper surface basking temps or not all I know is she was in really bad shape when I got her - I did my best but I believe she was too far gone as her organs started to shut down - it was heart breaking to watch her -- the person I got her from could not even tell me how old she was - she had taken her home from a petsmart that she worked at - sad story on this one
Wow you have got me teared up, that is so sad.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Okay I will get some silkworms. They are a bit fattier aren’t they? Shouldn’t be an issue because Simon gets lots of exercise in running around every day lol!

Edit: dubiaroaches.com is currently out of silkworms so i’m getting her some hornworms for now. I won’t feed too many. Should be a good way to keep her hydrated too ❤️

Last edited:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom