Rescued/Adopted Bearded dragon. He's not eating much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlee

Hi there,

I rescued/adopted a bearded dragon last week. As far as I could tell, he was not abused, but the people who owned him didn't know what they were doing. They weren't using UVB light, they weren't giving him any supplements. According to what they have told me, he is under 1 year old. They also had him in a 20-gallon cage.

I have spent the last week really trying to set up a new life for him. I got him a 4 x 2 x 2 Mellamine cage, bought the Rep-cal Herptvite and Calcium supplements, and got him the proper UVB light (Reptilight 10.0). I am also using a GE Reveal heating bulb. I have thermograded the cage, so it's the proper temps. He just got moved into this cage 3-4 days ago.

My main concern right now is that he is really not eating that much. A few crickets here, a few superworms there, and he absolutely will not eat greens on his own. I have gotten him to eat a few pieces by holding it by his mouth and essentially force feeding him.

I'm by no means an expert on beardies, but he's not showing any major signs of distress. The woman who sold me the cage was a professional breeder and she checked him out for him, and said that other than a bit of dehydration, he looked relatively ok. Once again, I'm not sure how old he is, but from what I can piece together, he is under a year. He weighs .6 lbs and measures in around 16-17" from nose to tail. He's skinny for sure, but seems generally ok. He takes awhile to get up in the morning, but he does get a little feisty throughout the day, and then calms down at night. He gapes in heat, bombs his head, and uses his tongue a lot. From what I can read, these are all good signs.

But he just isn't eating much. I have still yet to give him dandelion/turnip/mustard greens (trying to find them here in Santa Barbara, CA, and plan to at the farmer's market tomorrow), but I've been doing kale and collard greens.

I suppose that there is the chance of brumation, but I think that he's way too active to be doing this. I am not sure...perhaps this is a build up to a shedding period?

Anyway, I wanted to ask all of you kind folks on this forum what I might be doing wrong, or at least provide some sort of an explanation as to what might be going on. As I said, he really isn't showing any overt signs of being sickly. I am letting him out occasionally to run around my apartment, which he seems to love.

Any help that you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I have grown to attached to this guy in the last week, and I just hope that there is nothing majorly wrong. I have seen all kinds of testimonies from people who have beardies that are not interested in food for whatever reason...what do you think?

Graciously,
Andrew

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I have a couple more questions that might help.
What are temps (basking, warm side, cool side)
What do you measure temps with (temp gun, digi w/probe, stick-on)
When you say reptiLIGHT 10.0, I'm not familiar with this bulb. Could you mean reptiSUN 10.0 or reptiGLO 10.0?
Sara

amlee

Original Poster
Hi Sara,
Thank you for your questions.

The temps are just over 100 at the basking spots. The warm spots around the heat lamp range from 85-95, and the cool side is at around 80.

I am measuring temps with this: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-thermometers/105541/zoo-med-precision-analog-reptile-thermometer-humidity-gauge.html

And yes, it's the Repti-sun flourescent bulb. 10.0. It's a brand-new light.

-Andrew

I have a couple more questions that might help.
What are temps (basking, warm side, cool side)
What do you measure temps with (temp gun, digi w/probe, stick-on)
When you say reptiLIGHT 10.0, I'm not familiar with this bulb. Could you mean reptiSUN 10.0 or reptiGLO 10.0?
Sara

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
The best way to measure temps is definitely a digital with probe or a temp gun. Those look like stick-on thermometers am I correct? If so they can be off by 20*F or more. When you say basking temp, is that actually directly below the light where your beardie basks? If that's off to the side, then your basking spot might be a lot higher. Just to give you an idea, next to my basking spot is around 88, but on the basking spot is around 100*. Since he is a rescue, have you gotten a fecal done (forgot to ask that earlier). If not, I would definitely have that done. At my vet it's only $12.50. Also, what is your substrate? As long as your bulb is a long tube, then I don't see anything wrong with your husbandry, so I believe he needs a fecal to rule out parasites. You can try putting his supers in with his salad to see if you can get him to eat the salad and the worms. My girl's grabbed mouthfulls of salad along with crickets before. Keep me posted- I really don't have any other suggestions righ now.
Sara

amlee

Original Poster
HI Sara,

Thanks for the advice on this.

Regarding the salad, I mean, he won't even touch it. He will occasionally eat a cricket or a worm, but it's few and far between. I've gotten him to eat a few pieces of greens, but it takes awhile and he won't eat them on his own.

I haven't had a fecal exam done yet.

I was hoping that this zero appetite was a result of the trauma of the move, but it has been one week now and he just isn't eating much.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
It can definitely still be relocation stress after a week. Some beardies settle in immediately, some take close to a month. With the salad, you can try offering different things to him. Here's a link about good/bad foods: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html. If you actually put the worms in his salad bowl, he may actually grab a mouthful when he goes to grab the worm. Just an idea, it works for some people.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom