REPTISUN EXPIRATION QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
hi guys :)
hope everyone is having a beardiful day!
ok so i have a totally random question that probably has an obvious answer BUT i just want to make sure ...
recently i made the switch over from ReptiSun to Arcadia ... idk why just thought i would give it a go, i know they are both great bulbs.
ANYHOOOO ... i know ReptiSuns should be replaced every six months. SO ... here is the STUPID QUESTION OF THE DAY!!!
does a ReptiSun 10.0 thats has been used for about 2 months, then taken out, STILL have the same "shelf life" (bad analogy i know) as one that has been plugged in and in use?
like ... would it still be replace every 6 months OR would it be replace for every six months of actual use?
If something should happen and my Arcardia break or go out etc etc etc, i have my old ReptiSun 10.0 in its box, and it wasnt due for a replacement for 3 more months. But because its been lying around, does that have any bearing on the efficiency of it?
god i hope this made sense.
THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~Em (and Bluebelle)

mafoo

im pretty sure its good and only expires after 6 months of actual use although im not fully sure. i wouldnt be to worried about it except its harder to keep track of when your not using it constantly.

Jess

Extreme Poster
6 months of actual use. :) If you use it for 2 months, store it for a while and then use it again, you have 4 good months left on it.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Some employee at Petsmart told me that just sitting on the shelf causes the amount of UVB it emits to lessen....I thought she was wrong though. (And I'm glad she was wrong.)

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Just wondering...why does everyone say the reptisun 10.0 must be replaced every 6 months but on the tube itself it says replace yearly?
Also I found this when researching UVB lights:

"The output from these tubes diminishes very little after a full year of use.
For example, a 24" T8 (1" diameter) Reptisun 10.0 at 10" distance gave me UVI 1.1 when brand new, UVI 0.9 after burning-in for 100 hours, and was still giving me UVI 0.8 after a full year of use (4000 hours; 10-12hrs/day)." - lilacdragon

Here's the thread itself: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=145311&start=60

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Hmm, that is interesting. If this is actually true it would be really helpful. These lights are not sold in my area and I have to order them in from across country, or drive four hours out of my way to get them.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Coliosis":q7oxfhu1 said:
Just wondering...why does everyone say the reptisun 10.0 must be replaced every 6 months but on the tube itself it says replace yearly?
Also I found this when researching UVB lights:

"The output from these tubes diminishes very little after a full year of use.
For example, a 24" T8 (1" diameter) Reptisun 10.0 at 10" distance gave me UVI 1.1 when brand new, UVI 0.9 after burning-in for 100 hours, and was still giving me UVI 0.8 after a full year of use (4000 hours; 10-12hrs/day)." - lilacdragon

Here's the thread itself: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=145311&start=60

I'd rather just be on the safe side and replace every 6 months, since I don't have a UV meter and have no way of knowing the output myself. It's easier to pay $35 every 6 months than risk having MBD, IMO :) Beardies seem to know when they get a fresh bulb too... Dud always seems to be a little sleepy and sluggish when his bulb is nearing the 6 month mark, and he is noticeably more active when he gets a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom