Reptile Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistOfCate

Hatchling Member
So, I posted a few days ago asking, but go no replies, so I figured I would try again.

Does anyone know about or has anyone been to the Northern Berks Reptile Show in PA? I live in Jersey and a few of my friends and I (And Cori) were thinking of making a road trip this summer to it. I was wondering if it was any good and what to expect. I have never been to a reptile show before so any input would be helpful! Thanks!

Menolly

Juvie Member
It's supposed to have 220 tables I think. Usually it seems they have a lot of snakes for some reason...It's an 8 dollar admission fee and the highlight of my weekend! Wow...I don't feel like a dork...
I Cori your beardie?

TwistOfCate

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah he's my chubby beardie. He loves car rides and stuff so we figured we would bring him.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry, I haven't been to that expo. In fact, I haven't been to any expo. :x

Anyways, in case you decide you want to go to a different one, here is a great website (that I check every day for expos near my area) that lists upcoming expos:
http://www.kingsnake.com/events.html

I must say, your avatar picture is adoreable!!

Seig

Hatchling Member
Here are few things to consider about expos. One, a lot of them will not let non-vendor animals in. Leave your little godzilla home.
Two, there will be food and drink, but it will be pricey. Three, it will be crowded and noisy (not a complaint, just a fact).
Four, if you see something you like, keep looking around, prices will fluctuate wildly. Five, check to see if a local herp rescue or shelter has set up a booth. You can get some great stuff at amazing prices and support an unfortunate at the same time. Six, don't bother telling vendors their husbandry sucks, they don't really care. If they do care, they have it set up right to begin with.
Seven, collect goodies, talk to people, and have a ball.

TwistOfCate

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I will look into if they allow pets in. I'm really excited! :blob8: <- But not THAT excited.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
Seig":0f46b said:
Here are few things to consider about expos. One, a lot of them will not let non-vendor animals in.

Yep, I haven't seen a show yet that allows outside, non-vendor animals in... One or two shows I think you can buy a permit for a non-venomous animal, but even that's rare...

So double check and I'm sorry to say your chances of bringing your dragon are slim to none!

Anthony

darkcirca

Hatchling Member
The Hamburg shows are iffy. They are shady, and the people going are just as bad usually. They allow venomous animals, and the people that are buying them are generally irresponsible.

I'm about 2.5hrs away, and will generally attend shows within a reasonable distance. That one doesn't make me feel good. I go to the small ones at Havre De Grace, MD/Manassas, VA (MD Reptile Farms), and I also attend MARS and the NARBC each year.

My biggest issue with some of the expos is some of the vendors there. You can't just pull up the BOI or a review about them, so you have no idea if they are legit or not. I've had my run ins with some shady breeders that try to pass off WC for CBB (seriously, a $8 tokay is not CBB, stop saying it is), as well as other things.

When I go now, it's mostly for food, and occasionally I buy a lizard - as long as I know something about the vendor beforehand. I've got the handy-dandy cell phone with internet, so I can pull up reviews on the spot if I really want.

Just my 2cents on that. I don't think I'd be taking my lizard with me in fear something would go wrong.. a lot of shows don't let in outside animals either.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
beardedwizard":8cd2b said:
Seig":8cd2b said:
Here are few things to consider about expos. One, a lot of them will not let non-vendor animals in.

Yep, I haven't seen a show yet that allows outside, non-vendor animals in... One or two shows I think you can buy a permit for a non-venomous animal, but even that's rare...

So double check and I'm sorry to say your chances of bringing your dragon are slim to none!

Anthony

I had to look into this a couple of years ago because of Zak-n-Wheezie. I wanted to take them in to the NARBC which they did allow, but it was due to them being Z&W the 2-headed beardies. They do not normally let outside critters in. And like Anthony said on rare occassions you will find a show that you can buy a permit.
This is mainly for the protection of the animals. :wink:

TwistOfCate

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you guys so much! We took everything you guys said and ecided to cut Cori out of the plans. Thanks again! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom