Replicating Natural Sunlight/Heat

I have gone down a rabbit hole or research on trying to replicate natural sunlight spectrum (UV, visible, IR).

Along with this, trying to mimic sunrise and sunset. Meaning gradually changing temps and UVI throughout the day, to mimic the natural changes experienced in the Australian Outback.

Im having trouble finding some reliable data in some of these areas. Like sun rise and sun set, UVI over the course of a day, natural temperatures, etc.

Any ideas on how to go about accomplishing this?

My current idea, is as follows:
- Utilizing 2 heat sources so I can start with one and add in the other during the hotter parts of the day

- using two UVB setups to again start low and add in the second bulb to increase UV levels.
- something like two 6% bulbs (though I will have to test with my solar meter to ensure proper uvb levels. Might have to do a 12% with a lower 3-6%.

- using multiple sources of LEDs. Some smart LEDs that can change color temperature to help mimic sunrise and sunset. And some bring 6500k white leds to mimic the brightest parts of the day.

Timing wise I had some questions. The plan was to have sunrise and sunset last somewhere between 60-120 minutes. So for a typical 14 hour summer cycle this is what I was thinking:
- 7am: one halogen turns on; one UVB light (achieve ~2-3UVI); adjustable LEDs start up
(~2000k)
- over the course (8am) of 60 minutes LEDs work their color temp up to 5000k
- then over the next hour (9am) move from 5000k to 6500k
- 9am: 2nd UVB bulb turns on (~UVI 5-6); other 6500k LEDs turn on; 2nd halogen turns on
- maintain these numbers until 7pm
- 7pm: 2nd UVB turns off; 6500k LEDs turn off; Smart LEDs begin to replicate sunset (down to 5000k after 1 hour); 2nd halogen turns off
-8pm: LEDs work back down to 2000k
-9pm: everything off

So the only real question about this would be UV levels throughout the day. I realize that UVI can reach upwards of 9-12 in the Outback. But through some research, levels of 4-6 up to even 7 seem to be all that is required. Not to mention too much UVB can be bad. So opting for UVI of 5-6 for 10 hours seems like it should logically work… right?

Then winter would just be scaled down to a 10-12 hour day cycle.

Does anyone have any experience trying this? Input? Research? Tips? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Simulating the increase and decrease in lighting/temps throughout the day is a nice ideal if you can invest in setting it up. There are some programmable thermostats that can simulate sunrise and sunset by slowly changing the power output to the bulb. I've had mixed results with these and found that some bulbs will flicker or buzz when dimmed to a low level. Dimming UVB tubes isn't possible so that part is tougher. You could try raising/lowering the bulb over time perhaps. Using multiple fixtures/bulbs is an option too, but requires more space. LEDs are probably a good way to handle changes in light due to their programmability. I haven't tried using these yet, but want to look into Arcadia Jungle Dawn at some point. Keep in mind that this level of automation isn't necessary for a dragon's wellbeing or happiness, but striving to imitate their natural habitat as closely as possible is worth pursuing.

As far as the data you're looking for, I have a little bit of UVI info that I gathered when I was in Australia. The readings are from all over the country. The data from Adelaide is averaged from readings taken over the course of a week, but are just a small sample size in November. Given the numbers I recorded combined with reports that they tend to bask in mid morning and late afternoon, I suggest shooting for a 3-6 UVI range for a basking zone, which lines up with those times. The more space you have available, the more options you can add.

76248-1758548315.jpg

76248-7535523711.jpg

76248-8483307375.jpg

76248-3462926163.jpg

PrinceH4H4T4

Original Poster
Simulating the increase and decrease in lighting/temps throughout the day is a nice ideal if you can invest in setting it up. There are some programmable thermostats that can simulate sunrise and sunset by slowly changing the power output to the bulb. I've had mixed results with these and found that some bulbs will flicker or buzz when dimmed to a low level. Dimming UVB tubes isn't possible so that part is tougher. You could try raising/lowering the bulb over time perhaps. Using multiple fixtures/bulbs is an option too, but requires more space. LEDs are probably a good way to handle changes in light due to their programmability. I haven't tried using these yet, but want to look into Arcadia Jungle Dawn at some point. Keep in mind that this level of automation isn't necessary for a dragon's wellbeing or happiness, but striving to imitate their natural habitat as closely as possible is worth pursuing.

As far as the data you're looking for, I have a little bit of UVI info that I gathered when I was in Australia. The readings are from all over the country. The data from Adelaide is averaged from readings taken over the course of a week, but are just a small sample size in November. Given the numbers I recorded combined with reports that they tend to bask in mid morning and late afternoon, I suggest shooting for a 3-6 UVI range for a basking zone, which lines up with those times. The more space you have available, the more options you can add.

76248-1758548315.jpg

76248-7535523711.jpg

76248-8483307375.jpg

76248-3462926163.jpg
Awesome thank you

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom