Repeated seizures (and other symptoms) with no vet around

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We took everything out of his cage because of the seizures but he used to have a basking net. He used it when he was young but not much as he got older.
Your uvb has expired they should be changed out in one year I recommend a month prior to and w/ improper placement and distance would be a good cause for the seizures he has not been able to absorb/ synthesize his calcium- please get him out side for some good uvb if it has warmed up 65 + degrees a good 30 min or everyday till you get a new bulb - do not leave him supervise him or have him sit on you - you can use a plastic tote please NO glass

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so set your tank up w/ your basking light and uvb next to each other if you can place the screen on halfway w/ basking bulb on the screen and the uvb next to it- so he's getting both- surface basking temps should be 95-100- I would keep him warmer overnight if you can like 80 or so- do you have a ceramic heat emitter?

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
Ok so set your tank up w/ your basking light and uvb next to each other if you can place the screen on halfway w/ basking bulb on the screen and the uvb next to it- so he's getting both- surface basking temps should be 95-100- I would keep him warmer overnight if you can like 80 or so- do you have a ceramic heat emitter?
Yes, we use a ceramic heat lamp at night. The Reptisun fixture we have has both the UVB tube and the basking bulbs. It hangs underneath the screen top of the cage so there is no barrier. The basking area is 105 now. Thanks for all of your help. I was so worried we had poisoned him with too much calcium from our over zealous powdering of his daily food. Now, maybe that wasn't it!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes, we use a ceramic heat lamp at night. The Reptisun fixture we have has both the UVB tube and the basking bulbs. It hangs underneath the screen top of the cage so there is no barrier. The basking area is 105 now. Thanks for all of your help. I was so worried we had poisoned him with too much calcium from our over zealous powdering of his daily food. Now, maybe that wasn't it!
Please post a pic of the uvb

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 77

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the coil? If its a UVB please shut it off--- they are no good and its not doing any good for him -- please set your tank up so he can get both the UVB and basking temps -- if you haft to move him to a 20 gallon plastic tote - something like this

Attachments

• Hospital tank.jpg
    Hospital tank.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 76

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
What is the coil? If its a UVB please shut it off--- they are no good and its not doing any good for him -- please set your tank up so he can get both the UVB and basking temps -- if you haft to move him to a 20 gallon plastic tote - something like this
I'm not sure what you mean by the coil. Maybe these photos will help more?

Attachments

• IMG_1207.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 69
  • bulb fixture.jpg
    bulb fixture.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 69

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm not sure what you mean by the coil. Maybe these photos will help more?
The coil is in the dome - you want a clear solid bright white bulb that's a basking light - the other one looks like a coil bulb+ please tell me what it is-

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie

The coil is in the dome - you want a clear solid bright white bulb that's a basking light - the other one looks like a coil bulb+ please tell me what it is-
What we have is a Carolina

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
I think I know what you mean.

What we have is:

Carolina Custom Cages Reptile 34" T5HO UVB + Double GU10 Basking Light Fixture​

So, that includes one 34 inch UVB Reptisun tube (we just replaced it)

And the two basking bulbs are 75 watt Carolina Custom Cages GU 10 Halogen basking bulbs. I've attached a photo of them. They are quite small (like a few inches wide). These are the two round lights seen in the earlier photos. They might look like domes but they're a whole little disposable unit with a glass-type cover. See attached photo for a what they are.

I do use a dome at night with a ceramic bulb but it's not in the photo.

Attachments

• Carolina Custom Cages 75 w basking.jpg
    Carolina Custom Cages 75 w basking.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 62

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think I know what you mean.

What we have is:

Carolina Custom Cages Reptile 34" T5HO UVB + Double GU10 Basking Light Fixture​

So, that includes one 34 inch UVB Reptisun tube (we just replaced it)

And the two basking bulbs are 75 watt Carolina Custom Cages GU 10 Halogen basking bulbs. I've attached a photo of them. They are quite small (like a few inches wide). These are the two round lights seen in the earlier photos. They might look like domes but they're a whole little disposable unit with a glass-type cover. See attached photo for a what they are.

I do use a dome at night with a ceramic bulb but it's not in the photo.

Ok your good

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your dragon is so ill, poor baby!
What brand of tube bulb are you using now? I am glad that you got a new tube bulb, that should
help a lot. Is his head/eye area shedding?
For now, I would cut back on calcium intake to just 1-2 times per week, to help his system try to
normalize. Using the D3 too frequently, can cause hypercalcemia or hypervitaminosis D, which
can be as bad as too little calcium. It is always hard to know where moderation comes into play,
but you meant well & this doesn't always happen. It could be the combination of poor absorption
due to the UVB & D3, etc.
Are his urates hard or soft right now? Are you giving extra oral fluids right now? He is likely quite
dehydrated, from the imbalances in his system. What types of foods/slurry are you giving him?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
Hello,

So sorry your dragon is so ill, poor baby!
What brand of tube bulb are you using now? I am glad that you got a new tube bulb, that should
help a lot. Is his head/eye area shedding?
For now, I would cut back on calcium intake to just 1-2 times per week, to help his system try to
normalize. Using the D3 too frequently, can cause hypercalcemia or hypervitaminosis D, which
can be as bad as too little calcium. It is always hard to know where moderation comes into play,
but you meant well & this doesn't always happen. It could be the combination of poor absorption
due to the UVB & D3, etc.
Are his urates hard or soft right now? Are you giving extra oral fluids right now? He is likely quite
dehydrated, from the imbalances in his system. What types of foods/slurry are you giving him?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Hi Tracie,
The UVB bulb is a Reptisun 34 inch UVB tube for both the old one and the new one. We try to give him a meal worm or two but that's harder because he's not in the biting/chewing mood. He is swallowing a liquid blend of food through a dropper of dandelion greens with a few carrots and blueberries and crushed Tums and water. I wasn't sure about giving him calcium (Tums) but a vet I talked to said to do it. The vet was worried about the Vit D and said to use Tums instead of the supplement. It's hard to know if it started with too little calcium (bad bulb?) or too much calcium (daily supplement). I think Dustie was dehydrated but seems better the last couple of days with that part, at least. We've been bathing him three times a day and he gets a few drinks that way. He had a good healthy urate yesterday that was dark green solid with white liquid. Looked pretty normal (Minus the occasional bits of mealworm)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom