Repeated seizures (and other symptoms) with no vet around

Dustie

Beardie name(s)
Dustie
I'm taking any and all advice on this. My main question is...is there any antibiotic I should try to give Dustie? I've researched Baytril and Trimethoprin but I'm not sure which to try and how much to administer.

Our 2-yr-old Dustie is having multiple seizures a day for the last 5 days. He's in very poor health. Poor appetite, lethargic and confused. We live off the road system in Alaska with no exotic vet around. (Yes, I'm reconsidering our decision to getting a baby beardie two years ago but....we did and love him.) We have been giving him constant attention the last several days. We've been giving him a few baths a day and feeding him liquid food with a dropper (blended dandelion with a few carrots and blueberries and crushed Tums). He has some mouth rot on his mouth and the tip of his tail that we have been treating with betadine (this has gotten worse). I'm worried he has a bacterial infection in his bloodstream. I've consulted with an online vet via Just Answer. His prognosis was that (of course) this could be fatal and there are no meds without bloodwork through a vet visit. (The closest exotic vet is $1,000 plane ride. That's just the plane ticket.)

I've considered a calcium issue and this is our mistake: While has appropriate temps and UVB in his cage he's also received Calcium WITH Vit D 3 everyday. Of course, I know our error now. The online Just Answer vet told us to grind up Tums in his food but I'm wondering if this is right? Could he be getting seizures from too much calcium? What I've researched is that it often happens with too little calcium but maybe not from too much calcium.

I'm guessing Dustie has been having like 15-20 seizures a day. (If we step out of the room, we don't see them all) They subside at night when he sleeps. Changes in his environment trigger them. Like when the light turns on in the morning and he wakes up. Or when we walk up to his cage and he's been napping. Or when we take him to the kitchen for a bath. These changes trigger the seizures. I'm sure he's entirely stressed out and he definitely is confused. His eyes clear up and focus at times but often he has them closed or partially open. Occasionally he flips over with the seizures, which is horrible. We've removed all rocks and things from his cage.

I realize I probably should've been on this forum before this emergency moment. I don't have to tell you how hard this is on our family. I have hundreds of photos of my daughter with Dustie.

I'm attaching photos of him when he was healthy and now so you can see the change.

I have a video of him seizing up but I will spare you that trauma unless it's absolutely helpful. I know there are other videos online about that.

Thanks to anyone who has advice. I have ordered Reptaid and electrolyte bath but I'm guessing those won't be the same as actual meds. He's so poorly I'm okay with trying an antibiotic if 1) I could get it mailed 2) I could get advice about it. At this rate of his decline I'm not sure he'll make it anyway, even with our constant care.

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 140
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7578 (1).jpg
    IMG_7578 (1).jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 97

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
He's a beautiful dragon. @Drache613 is our vet tech. I don't think he might live longer. With that many seizures, has mouth rot, and many other things and getting worse sounds like he's not gonna make it. I don't wanna sound harsh but his conditions are pretty bad. I'd would like to hear others second thoughts though since I'm not 100% sure.

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
He's a beautiful dragon. @Drache613 is our vet tech. I don't think he might live longer. With that many seizures, has mouth rot, and many other things and getting worse sounds like he's not gonna make it. I don't wanna sound harsh but his conditions are pretty bad. I'd would like to hear others second thoughts though since I'm not 100% sure.
Thank you for your honesty. I want honesty. I happen to be off work this week where I can be with him all the time. But that will change Monday when I can care for him in the morning, noon, and then all evening. He did have a healthy poop this morning, which I'll admit gave me a spot of hope.

Subion

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
I’m so sorry to hear him and your family dealing with this. I do have a bearded who’s also currently dealing with health issues so I know how upsetting it is to watch them and feeling like you can’t get answers or know what to do.

I could be wrong since I’m not an expert but I was always told to much calcium is a bad thing. When I was giving mine her reptical once a week I was told that was to much. But like I said I’m not an expert that’s just what I was told. I know you probably already called around for vets but here is a link someone sent me that had a few listed in a small drive I never knew of before. You can search by state so hopefully you may be able to find one.

I saw this article about seizures a lot of it talks about it being low calcium but it does give a quick mention a few other things like wound infections and different things you may want to read if you haven’t already. I don’t know if it would help but may find some info. Or maybe try reaching out to some of the YouTubers that has dealt with similar things. Even maybe trying to find a breeder or petstore that may be able to point you in a direction of who they use as a vet. Never know you may get someone who use to practice on them at least that could give some info. I’m sorry I couldn’t help more but I do hope the best for you’re bearded dragon and family

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm taking any and all advice on this. My main question is...is there any antibiotic I should try to give Dustie? I've researched Baytril and Trimethoprin but I'm not sure which to try and how much to administer.

Our 2-yr-old Dustie is having multiple seizures a day for the last 5 days. He's in very poor health. Poor appetite, lethargic and confused. We live off the road system in Alaska with no exotic vet around. (Yes, I'm reconsidering our decision to getting a baby beardie two years ago but....we did and love him.) We have been giving him constant attention the last several days. We've been giving him a few baths a day and feeding him liquid food with a dropper (blended dandelion with a few carrots and blueberries and crushed Tums). He has some mouth rot on his mouth and the tip of his tail that we have been treating with betadine (this has gotten worse). I'm worried he has a bacterial infection in his bloodstream. I've consulted with an online vet via Just Answer. His prognosis was that (of course) this could be fatal and there are no meds without bloodwork through a vet visit. (The closest exotic vet is $1,000 plane ride. That's just the plane ticket.)

I've considered a calcium issue and this is our mistake: While has appropriate temps and UVB in his cage he's also received Calcium WITH Vit D 3 everyday. Of course, I know our error now. The online Just Answer vet told us to grind up Tums in his food but I'm wondering if this is right? Could he be getting seizures from too much calcium? What I've researched is that it often happens with too little calcium but maybe not from too much calcium.

I'm guessing Dustie has been having like 15-20 seizures a day. (If we step out of the room, we don't see them all) They subside at night when he sleeps. Changes in his environment trigger them. Like when the light turns on in the morning and he wakes up. Or when we walk up to his cage and he's been napping. Or when we take him to the kitchen for a bath. These changes trigger the seizures. I'm sure he's entirely stressed out and he definitely is confused. His eyes clear up and focus at times but often he has them closed or partially open. Occasionally he flips over with the seizures, which is horrible. We've removed all rocks and things from his cage.

I realize I probably should've been on this forum before this emergency moment. I don't have to tell you how hard this is on our family. I have hundreds of photos of my daughter with Dustie.

I'm attaching photos of him when he was healthy and now so you can see the change.

I have a video of him seizing up but I will spare you that trauma unless it's absolutely helpful. I know there are other videos online about that.

Thanks to anyone who has advice. I have ordered Reptaid and electrolyte bath but I'm guessing those won't be the same as actual meds. He's so poorly I'm okay with trying an antibiotic if 1) I could get it mailed 2) I could get advice about it. At this rate of his decline I'm not sure he'll make it anyway, even with our constant care.
@AHBD
@Drache613
Please go over the UVB --- are you using a coil or a long tube fixture --- brand and bulb T 5 or a T 8 for a long tube
from what I see you need a vet -- the tail looks to be rotted on the end part where the black ends -- it would need to be amputated and as quickly as possible - the infection is moving up the tail and if it gets into the blood stream it will kill him - the seizures are more than likely from calcium deviancy- posting a website to find a vet for you
www.arav.org
type in the biggest cities zip code closest to you

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
I’m so sorry to hear him and your family dealing with this. I do have a bearded who’s also currently dealing with health issues so I know how upsetting it is to watch them and feeling like you can’t get answers or know what to do.

I could be wrong since I’m not an expert but I was always told to much calcium is a bad thing. When I was giving mine her reptical once a week I was told that was to much. But like I said I’m not an expert that’s just what I was told. I know you probably already called around for vets but here is a link someone sent me that had a few listed in a small drive I never knew of before. You can search by state so hopefully you may be able to find one.

I saw this article about seizures a lot of it talks about it being low calcium but it does give a quick mention a few other things like wound infections and different things you may want to read if you haven’t already. I don’t know if it would help but may find some info. Or maybe try reaching out to some of the YouTubers that has dealt with similar things. Even maybe trying to find a breeder or petstore that may be able to point you in a direction of who they use as a vet. Never know you may get someone who use to practice on them at least that could give some info. I’m sorry I couldn’t help more but I do hope the best for you’re bearded dragon and family

Thanks for the article on seizures and your thoughts! Yes, too much calcium is a bad thing and giving him a supplement with Vit D3 was a mistake, perhaps one that sent us down this path. Unfortunately, I live on an Alaska island with no roads out so the nearest vet that would agree to see a beardie is a $1,000 plane ride (in Sitka, AK). I've called all the vet clinics in my region, they're all for dogs and cats. I've talked to three vets long-distance but they don't want to offer any medication without bloodwork. I guess I understand their protocols although I wish it were different.

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
@AHBD
@Drache613
Please go over the UVB --- are you using a coil or a long tube fixture --- brand and bulb T 5 or a T 8 for a long tube
from what I see you need a vet -- the tail looks to be rotted on the end part where the black ends -- it would need to be amputated and as quickly as possible - the infection is moving up the tail and if it gets into the blood stream it will kill him - the seizures are more than likely from calcium deviancy- posting a website to find a vet for you
www.arav.org

@AHBD
@Drache613
www.arav.org
I'm sorry, I thought I included the UVB bulb info in my profile info. It's a tube, a Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB 34 inch. Yes, the tail is rotted on the end. We have been soaking it in betadine and applying Neosporin. Bacteria in the bloodstream is my worry too. Unfortunately, I live on an Alaska island with no roads out so the nearest vet that would agree to see a beardie is a $1,000 plane ride (in Sitka, AK). I've called all the vet clinics in my region, they're all for dogs and cats. I've talked to three vets long-distance but they don't want to offer any medication without bloodwork. I guess I understand their protocols although I wish it were different. Thanks for you response, appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm sorry, I thought I included the UVB bulb info in my profile info. It's a tube, a Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB 34 inch. Yes, the tail is rotted on the end. We have been soaking it in betadine and applying Neosporin. Bacteria in the bloodstream is my worry too. Unfortunately, I live on an Alaska island with no roads out so the nearest vet that would agree to see a beardie is a $1,000 plane ride (in Sitka, AK). I've called all the vet clinics in my region, they're all for dogs and cats. I've talked to three vets long-distance but they don't want to offer any medication without bloodwork. I guess I understand their protocols although I wish it were different. Thanks for you response, appreciated.
The screen on your tank is a fine mesh or a wide holed type - this will make a difference w/ the effect of those rays- how old is the bulb

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
The screen on your tank is a fine mesh or a wide holed type - this will make a difference w/ the effect of those rays- how old is the bulb
It is not what I'd call a fine mesh. The holes are large enough to fit a tiny zippy tie through, maybe an 1/8 of an inch? I think we changed the bulb last fall.

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
It is not what I'd call a fine mesh. The holes are large enough to fit a tiny zippy tie through, maybe an 1/8 of an inch? I think we changed the bulb last fall.
Here are some photos I just took.

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 85

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here are some photos I just took.
Poor guy- I would take that screen off and get him directly under it 12 inches- watch his behavior+ use some rolled up towels to prop him up- is he moving around at all ? Eating--

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
I stand corrected by my daughter and her 12-y-old memory is a lot sharper than mine! She says it's been over a year since we changed the UVB tube. So, I wonder if that could be causing these issues even though Dustie has gotten Calcium powder with Vit D everyday with his meal. (Which we later learned was a mistake)

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
Poor guy- I would take that screen off and get him directly under it 12 inches- watch his behavior+ use some rolled up towels to prop him up- is he moving around at all ? Eating--
He does move around. He doesn't eat independently though. He swallows liquid mix that we give him with a dropper. The UVB bulb hangs underneath the screen.

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
He does move around. He doesn't eat independently though. He swallows liquid mix that we give him with a dropper. The UVB bulb hangs underneath the screen.
We took everything out of his cage because of the seizures but he used to have a basking net. He used it when he was young but not much as he got older.

Dustie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dustie
We had a new 34 in tube as back up and traded it out with the old one. Maybe it will help.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom