Repashy bearded dragon buffet omnivore mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
So if anyone of you knows Ziva, you know she’s a rescue with medical issues. Some of these issues result in her not eating like she should.

Well I discovered she really really loves the repashy omnivore gel food. She ate more of this today than anything else if offered this month, and trust me, I’ve offered it all.

Is there any harm in making this a part of her regular diet? I’m going to try putting the dry powder on her greens to see if she’ll eat that more, but Incase it doesn’t work I’d like to know if it’s okay to feed this as a major part of her diet.

She’s finally hit 287 grams after eating this for a week, and considering with how she eats usually, I never thought I’d get her over 250 grams.

My vets not familiar enough with this diet to know if she’ll be okay on it long term, and didn’t want to say yes or no.

(I’m an exotic vet tech, so yes she’s got the correct lighting, temps, greens, feeders ect.)

If she can’t be on this one long term, I can also get the veggie burger formula.

44170-9853031719.jpg

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

So, my boy also LOVES ~The Gel~ for some reason, and due to the pandemic I usually end up feeding it to him 1-5 days a month when I don't/can't have fresh vegetables on hand. My feeling is that for a bearded dragon of healthy weight, it's not quite an optimal diet, but if she is underweight and this is something she'll actually eat, I think it's certainly safe enough to be a staple for the time being until you can safely take the steps necessary (usually let them not eat until their hungry enough to eat what you offer) to get her a more broad diet.

I personally would avoid using the straight powder on her greens, though you might try making a "salad dressing" by making a very small, very dilute batch. I've use a mix of Oxbow Critical Care Fine Grind and Carnivore Care in the BD recommended proportions like this a time or two to bribe my boy into eating his greens when he's on strike, and don't see why The Gel couldn't be used the same way.

Another suggestion I have for getting her to eat her greens, if you're having trouble, is to see if there are any fragrant and BD safe herbs she likes. My little man goes nuts for parsley and mint, so when he's being a pain about his greens I'll chop one of those two up super fine and add it to his salads. I've also had a breeder suggest doing the same thing with bee pollen, which I did try, but ultimately I fed to my roaches instead.

Something else I would suggest it trying to "sneak in" some veggies with the gel. Personal suggestions would be cooked winter squashes, bell paper, zucchini and yellow squash, as I think these would all work in a gel matrix the best (though I haven't tried this myself, so who knows).

Good luck regardless!
-Ellen

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ellentomologist":1e8a39ya said:
Hiya,

So, my boy also LOVES ~The Gel~ for some reason, and due to the pandemic I usually end up feeding it to him 1-5 days a month when I don't/can't have fresh vegetables on hand. My feeling is that for a bearded dragon of healthy weight, it's not quite an optimal diet, but if she is underweight and this is something she'll actually eat, I think it's certainly safe enough to be a staple for the time being until you can safely take the steps necessary (usually let them not eat until their hungry enough to eat what you offer) to get her a more broad diet.

I personally would avoid using the straight powder on her greens, though you might try making a "salad dressing" by making a very small, very dilute batch. I've use a mix of Oxbow Critical Care Fine Grind and Carnivore Care in the BD recommended proportions like this a time or two to bribe my boy into eating his greens when he's on strike, and don't see why The Gel couldn't be used the same way.

Another suggestion I have for getting her to eat her greens, if you're having trouble, is to see if there are any fragrant and BD safe herbs she likes. My little man goes nuts for parsley and mint, so when he's being a pain about his greens I'll chop one of those two up super fine and add it to his salads. I've also had a breeder suggest doing the same thing with bee pollen, which I did try, but ultimately I fed to my roaches instead.

Something else I would suggest it trying to "sneak in" some veggies with the gel. Personal suggestions would be cooked winter squashes, bell paper, zucchini and yellow squash, as I think these would all work in a gel matrix the best (though I haven't tried this myself, so who knows).

Good luck regardless!
-Ellen

The thing is because of her vision issues she has to be hand fed 90% of the time, so I can’t just leave a salad down for her ?

Every now and then when she’s having a really good day she’ll eat from her bowl, but because she’s already so small I do not like waiting to see if she’ll eat from it. I’ll fill it before work and if she hasn’t eaten by the time I get home, I’ll end up offering her things by hand.

She loved sprouts for a while, but now she will take one bite and is done. Same thing with endive. I’m lucky if I can get her to eat more than one or two bites of greens before she decides she’s done, same with live food oddly. That’s why I was so shocked over the repashy food and how much she loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom