relly cheap hammock! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
those hammocks at petsmart are really cool but they are almost $11!!!! :banghead: so i found an alternative! here is a pic!
cheaphamock.jpg

now this set up only cost me about $4.40 for two of them! and you can make them any color you want!
even pink! how about that ladies!!

i hunted around Micheal's here in Oklahoma and i purchased a three pack of suction cups for 1.99 and a large piece of this plastic material used for some sort of quilting...lol! not sure what it was called but it was by the cross stitching material. the large piece of plastic was $.39 so i bought enough materials for two hammocks and now my dragons can lounge in a comfy hammock for just a couple dollars a piece! : ) so grand total for one hammock is about $2.17!

they seem to be working very well! and you can custom fit them to your tank! just cut the material the shape and size you want!

and like i said you can get it in all kinds of crazy colors!!!

LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS FOR YOU! :D ENJOY!!!!

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah that stuff is cheap! its a flexible plastic material...i think its for some sort of cross stitching with yarn i believe...lol! 39 cents for a big piece of it. and my female weighs in a 450g and it holds her up with no problems so far. the suction cups i found at the hobby store have little hooks on them for hanging thinks on a window i would assume. i found them with the stained glass products...all different sizes. and the hooks just go right in the little square holes in the sheet of plastic.

its way cheaper than the pet store and works just as well and they come in better colors than just GREEN! LOL! and they are more customizable!

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah u could prolly even weave a design or ur BDs name in it. u could even use a whole sheet and make a platorm! lol! i have some pretty good ideas for a baby tank come this spring! : ) but thats top secret till then... : )

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Okay I would like to put in a hammock but I have melamine & tiled walls with grout. How could I hang it. I'm not very creative.

Here is a picture of the viv I decorated. I would only have room on the right back corner.

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i would just take the suction cup and put a dab of liquid nails in the center and squish it down on the wall where you want it and let it harden... that stuff if no joke! and you would only need a little bit.

or even gorilla glue...that stuff is super strong also. but liquid nails is what i would use.

beardiebandit":e0864 said:
i would just take the suction cup and put a dab of liquid nails in the center and squish it down on the wall where you want it and let it harden... that stuff if no joke! and you would only need a little bit.

or even gorilla glue...that stuff is super strong also. but liquid nails is what i would use.

Hey thanks for this great idea...i made one last night...its great KuSh Loves it,its his new basking spot

1happymommy":0c7e1 said:
Okay I would like to put in a hammock but I have melamine & tiled walls with grout. How could I hang it. I'm not very creative.

You could also screw "cup hooks" (Iittle brass hooks with a screw on one end made for hanging tea cups) directly into the melamine. Cup hooks are available in any hardware department, including Wal-mart.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Thank you for this great idea.

Rectangular net thingy bought at Cross-Stitch shop. I cut it in half diagonally and made two hamocks.

Each suction hook can take about 1 kg in weight, I made sure so when these little ones grow big, I will be using the same hamock.

IMG_4825800x600.jpg

DIY Hammock System

IMG_4832800x600.jpg

if i'm here, then who's that?

IMG_4835800x600.jpg

The Circle of liiiiife :D

IMG_4844800x600.jpg

Hip Hop Horay- Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy...

IMG_4845800x600.jpg

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Again thanks for the Tip :-D

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
lol! i love the captions! : ) yeah i have quite a few hammocks now! lol! they have just seemed to work so well so far. and when i wash them i just wash them in the sink with dawn dish soap and an sos pad.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Hehe, that's a great idea. I'm a crafty person.. but I went ahead and ordered one along with a bunch of other stuff. I found one for $4 or $5.. it wasn't $11!!

What part of OK are you in, btw?

beardiebandit":ee6b9 said:
its a flexible plastic material...i think its for some sort of cross stitching with yarn i believe...

This material is called "plastic canvas". I love this idea... Not only are the hammocks you buy at the store much more expensive, but they aren't very well made. We had to reinforce the holes that hook to the suction cups on our store bought hammock because they were ripping and falling off the suctions cups... Dex had a few wild rides before we got it fixed!. As soon as we get his larger viv built, I'll be making some of these... Dex loves his hammock better than all the rest of his furniture!

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I'm east of Tulsa, not too far.. I'm actually a Texan living in this foreign land.. but they accept me. It's good to find someone nearby! There's another guy here from OKC, I'd recognize him if I saw him, but I can't remember his name atm.

hehe, didn't mean the hijack the thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom