Refusing Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

bergmite

Original Poster
Hey guys.

He’s still refusing all insects. We offer crickets, horn worms, and dubias daily and he’s not showing any interest. He’s still on his supplements and eats them well but i’m worried they’re just not enough. He’s at least 2-3 months old now and he’s still tiny. I’m at least relieved he’s lively, he will walk around and hop from object to object easily, I’m just so worried at how tiny he still is.

Did you have a specific recommendation for the bee pollen we could try? I looked on amazon and there are just so many options in so many forms— I was wondering if you had a specific brand or product we should pick up. And do you just apply it to his mouth? Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I got just regular bee pollen from Walmart and sprinkle it on the salads- others may have other ideas for you- have you tried raw unpasteurized honey on his mouth getting him to lick it then drop some on the salads? I know they like sweet and that may draw him to the bowl

bergmite

Original Poster
He’s still refusing greens and fruit— we recently tried strawberries for the first time and still no interest after I washed and diced it. Picking up squash and seedless watermelon tonight to try those too.

I’ll try raw honey, thank you for the tip!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how things are going & how the appetite is doing! Hopefully he will start eating
more for you soon. They definitely can be picky!

Tracie

bergmite

Original Poster
Hey all. I ordered bee pollen from the same site I’ve gotten bugs from, going to try that as soon as they come in. He’s still refusing bugs but seems to be showing a little more interest in the last couple days? Before he would just walk away or close his eyes when offered bugs but he’s been looking at them (pointing head towards) and licking them lately. Might anyone have an idea as to why he will lick them and then ignore them?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hey all. I ordered bee pollen from the same site I’ve gotten bugs from, going to try that as soon as they come in. He’s still refusing bugs but seems to be showing a little more interest in the last couple days? Before he would just walk away or close his eyes when offered bugs but he’s been looking at them (pointing head towards) and licking them lately. Might anyone have an idea as to why he will lick them and then ignore them?
I am not sure -- have you fed any BSFL? If so or have them put them on his salads -- what is he eating? anything? Did you feed any slurries?

bergmite

Original Poster
No BSFL yet. I ordered some along with silk worms from a… not very reliable seller. She sent an email about a week after I ordered saying she was out of silk worms so asked me what I would like to substitute them with— I replied instantly and she just resent the email asking what I wanted 3 days later. I have to order them from another place soon.

Right now he’s eating EmerAid omnivore by syringe given to us by the vet. I don’t have to actually put the syringe in his mouth— he’s usually pretty good about licking it up and I will just slowly funnel more into his mouth while he licks. It’s basically an all-in-one substitute slurry. I’ve tried using the insects I have in slurries and he just has no interest in those ones. I made one the other day with sweet potato and squash baby food, mixed with some crickets and he barely had any. He seems very adverse to solid food. Still no luck with fruit or greens either.

I also wanted to mention he spends 99% of his time on the warm side of the tank either under the uvb or basking. He sits on his rock ALL day. Not sure if that’s important but I figure it’s worth mentioning. Attaching a picture.

Attachments

• 947C9114-340E-4CF3-AFCC-9521F301EF7F.jpeg
    947C9114-340E-4CF3-AFCC-9521F301EF7F.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 111

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No BSFL yet. I ordered some along with silk worms from a… not very reliable seller. She sent an email about a week after I ordered saying she was out of silk worms so asked me what I would like to substitute them with— I replied instantly and she just resent the email asking what I wanted 3 days later. I have to order them from another place soon.

Right now he’s eating EmerAid omnivore by syringe given to us by the vet. I don’t have to actually put the syringe in his mouth— he’s usually pretty good about licking it up and I will just slowly funnel more into his mouth while he licks. It’s basically an all-in-one substitute slurry. I’ve tried using the insects I have in slurries and he just has no interest in those ones. I made one the other day with sweet potato and squash baby food, mixed with some crickets and he barely had any. He seems very adverse to solid food. Still no luck with fruit or greens either.

I also wanted to mention he spends 99% of his time on the warm side of the tank either under the uvb or basking. He sits on his rock ALL day. Not sure if that’s important but I figure it’s worth mentioning. Attaching a picture.
So the basking temps are what ? they should be 105-110 for a baby -- its normal for them to bask under the UVB and heat lamp most of the day -- is he active moving around the tank? What have the poops looked like? they should be dark formed and moist and the urate should be white formed and moist -- I am wondering if he has parasites-- did you get the fecal in to the vet for a test?

bergmite

Original Poster
Basking temps are perfect, a little high actually, but he exclusively stays on the warm side of the tank under the basking light.

He doesn’t really move around the tank but he is very active when we take him out.

Stool was a bit watery but I assumed that was because we started having him take his supplements, it was a change in diet and also liquid. It actually started looking more normal yesterday.

He doesn’t have parasites, we did have that tested at the vet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking temps are perfect, a little high actually, but he exclusively stays on the warm side of the tank under the basking light.

He doesn’t really move around the tank but he is very active when we take him out.

Stool was a bit watery but I assumed that was because we started having him take his supplements, it was a change in diet and also liquid. It actually started looking more normal yesterday.

He doesn’t have parasites, we did have that tested at the vet.
Ok can you post pics of the whole tank please -- we are missing something here

bergmite

Original Poster
EFDCEEF8-FC00-4FF3-B1C4-3CF67761544C.jpeg
DAD70E8D-45EA-4BA7-9BE7-7973103C0862.jpeg

Here you are. Both of the lights are as you recommended and I have the mesh pulled out a bit to let the UVB rays in fully.

Attachments

• 7212907C-C278-4BFA-98AD-35765EFB40BE.jpeg
    7212907C-C278-4BFA-98AD-35765EFB40BE.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 105

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 8895 View attachment 8896
Here you are. Both of the lights are as you recommended and I have the mesh pulled out a bit to let the UVB rays in fully.
Can you tell me the name of the basking bulb your using-- to me it looks like a yellowish color in the pic -- please move the stick and place the screen up to the UVB fixture w/ the UVB fixture going across the middle of that tank - so it is straight across width wise -- I want him to be able to sit directly under the basking bulb and UVB together - place the shelf hes sitting on so its directly under both of them --- something is off w/ the lighting or the placement -- I am trying to figure out if its both or just one of the issues

bergmite

Original Poster
Repti basking spot lamp from zoo med. It’s the same one I sent a picture of a while back asking if it was white or not.

Is this better?

Attachments

• C556C965-0B1A-446D-BB95-F2FC317E3E1F.jpeg
    C556C965-0B1A-446D-BB95-F2FC317E3E1F.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 7CAE6777-E3EE-44BB-927B-5BBE32949F6D.jpeg
    7CAE6777-E3EE-44BB-927B-5BBE32949F6D.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 98

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Repti basking spot lamp from zoo med. It’s the same one I sent a picture of a while back asking if it was white or not.

Is this better?
It looks better --- its the camera or pic thats throwing the color of it off - so your good -- ok so now lets see what his behavior does --

bergmite

Original Poster
It looks better --- its the camera or pic thats throwing the color of it off - so your good -- ok so now lets see what his behavior does --
Alright, thank you! He really doesn’t exhibit any symptoms of a sick lizard aside from not eating. I’m giving him his dinner right now and he’s running around a lot, jumping on me and climbing up my arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom