Refusing Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
And what is the temp on the spot hes laying? Has he been basking at all under the UVB or basking bulb?

bergmite

Original Poster
88-92, more under the UVB light it seems. Around an hour ago he moved to under his rock which is directly under the basking lamp so he’s in the shade now. The temperature in that spot is about 105.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so he is basking under the hot temp as well - they will move if they get too hot and hes under the UVB as well --- ok keep offering to the food -- did you get a weight on him yet?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of thermometer are you using?
As Karrie suggested, if they get too hot they will move out of the basking area to try &
regulate their body temperatures. The 20 gallons are a little smaller so sometimes, it is
hard to regulate the temperatures in smaller tanks.
You could try using some bee pollen to help with his appetite, too.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
100 watt bulb is going to be too hot for a 20 gallon tank -- try a 75 watt and see what he does - please weigh him and keep track of the weight -- we want him gaining not losing --- and get a temp w / that 75 watt bulb ---

bergmite

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

I’m using a Ryobi heat gun I picked up from home depot.

Thank you for the recommendation for his appetite! I’ll try that.

bergmite

Original Poster
Karrie,

I’ve been using a 75 watt bulb from the beginning— I did buy a new one but that’s because I didn’t realize the one I had was already “white”. The temperatures I’ve mentioned before have all been with the 75 watt bulb. Sorry for the confusion there.

I’ll start taking his weight ASAP. Hopefully by then he’ll be eating, though. Thank you again.

bergmite

Original Poster
Just tried to hand feed him some mustard greens (I put in a fresh salad first thing this morning and he didn’t touch it) and a cricket to no avail. He’s been walking around his tank a bit this morning but was more lethargic than usual when I was handling him.

He’s still mainly sticking to the back of the tank on the warm side, under the UVB.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am concerned about your dragon - you may haft to syringe feeding him- slow -- slurries of greens / w a pinch of calcium d 3 and water for hydration- I don't want him to get too weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom