Refuses to bask

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girl Geoffrey refuses to bask after eating most of the time.
She only wants to eat bugs at the moment but will occasionally eat small bits of salad.

She all out refuses to bask for more than 5 minutes after eating to where I have to get up and physically put her on her basking platform every few minutes if I am home to do so.

I have tried everything I could think of to remedy this such as lowering the basking temperature, raising the temperature, moving her platfrom, I got her a diffrent platform.
This has been going on for about a month now.

She just went to the vets after she stopped eating her salad and they said she was one of the healthiest reptiles they've ever seen.

She's not showing any signs of illness, no lethargy or anything like that and will eat the parts of salad she really enjoys like fruit and certain veggies, and always eats her bugs.

Does anyone have any idea why she would refuse to bask. I am afraid that if she does not start basking she will become ill.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dragons know what they need -- what are your temps for basking and how are you taking them? For her age I am assuming she is a adult now would be 95-100-- as dragons get older they do not like real hot temps -- is she under the UVB?

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
She is about two and half years old and under uvb. The temp at her basking platform can be anywhere between 90-105°f taken with a probe Thermometer, and she will move everytime. The reason I'm concerned is because she's not digesting her food because she isn't basking.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking starts the digestion process when was the last time she went poop?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that is good --- mine are taking anywhere from 2-3 weeks to poop and they bask every day so-- I would keep an eye on her - sometimes they dont bask for a few days or so at a time - last week HIccup was in his hide for 3 days w/ out coming out --- I dont worry about them til something is really off -- as long as the basking temps are supposed to be where they need to be and UVB is good thats going to keep them doing what they need to be doing --- have you had her tested for parasites? If not you might want to get a fecal in to the vet and see what that shows -- NO ENEMAS --- take a fecal in and drop it off

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This can definitely be frustrating indeed!
Do you have pictures of your tank setup so we can take a look to be sure the lighting is
placed well? The basking light you have, is it a bright white light or a colored light?

Tracie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
I cannot get the image uploader to work at the moments but the platform is under the uvb which is a reptisun t8 10.0 24inch bulb, with the basking bulb positioned right next to it. And the basking bulb is a 100w white zoomed bulb, on a stand that I can raise or lower if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom