Reflective Mylar film?

Hi! The reflector film on my Sunblaster fixture was damaged during a move. I’ve had a really hard time finding a replacement online. Does anyone know if reflective Mylar film will work?
Thanks in advance!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That might work. Hard to say without measuring the output though. The best reflectors tend to be very polished/smooth aluminum, but if the mylar is smooth enough to really reflect/direct the light in a concentrated way it may be worth a shot if you don't want to order a replacement reflector.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I was wondering if you could replace it with aluminum foil if you turned the shiney side towards the bulb. Would probably have to be careful not the wrinkle it thought, like you said it needs to reflect in a concentrated way.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was wondering if you could replace it with aluminum foil if you turned the shiney side towards the bulb. Would probably have to be careful not the wrinkle it thought, like you said it needs to reflect in a concentrated way.
You can use aluminum foil, just make sure to keep it as smooth as possible and not let there be any creases/folds in it. It can be almost as effective as a good reflector. I've tested this with a solarmeter.

You used to be able to buy just the sunblaster reflector too. I had to a few times while testing the issues with sunblasters, but I can't seem to find just the reflector anymore.

-Brandon

Elliot Il Drago

Original Poster
Yeah I can’t find the reflector alone. I’ll try the aluminum first and, if that doesn’t work, I’ll just get a new sunblaster fixture since the Mylar film seems to be almost as expensive and there’s no guarantee it will work. Thank you all. I appreciate it!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom