Reddish urate..?

I was celebrating my birthday away from home, so I gave him dry food and plenty of crickets for the 2 days, and when i returned I noticed fresh urate + poop but the urate was a light orange and had what appeared to be red crystals/red spots on it. I checked on him and he was aggravated, though his basking-side lightbulb had burned out. (it was 70 too :( )He looks alright though. If this is serious I'm lucky to have a vet that has exotic pet care.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was celebrating my birthday away from home, so I gave him dry food and plenty of crickets for the 2 days, and when i returned I noticed fresh urate + poop but the urate was a light orange and had what appeared to be red crystals/red spots on it. I checked on him and he was aggravated, though his basking-side lightbulb had burned out. (it was 70 too :( )He looks alright though. If this is serious I'm lucky to have a vet that has exotic pet care.
@AHBD

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Not an expert at all, but it sounds like a possible parasite? I feel like I've seen pictures on another post on here that remind me of what you described and I think it ended up being hookworms or something similar.

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
Not an expert at all, but it sounds like a possible parasite? I feel like I've seen pictures on another post on here that remind me of what you described and I think it ended up being hookworms or something similar.
So far he seems okay, if it happens again I'm taking him to the vet. I don't know how he could've gotten parasites though. Might've been from crickets not being checked when they are put on the shelves???

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
So far he seems okay, if it happens again I'm taking him to the vet. I don't know how he could've gotten parasites though. Might've been from crickets not being checked when they are put on the shelves???
Some of the signs, such as weight loss or vomiting aren't happening. He has a normal appetite too. He has been irritable, but he's never really been good with anyone since the start. Also, there has been weight loss, but we will see what happens.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Was the dry food dyed?
Even in humans food with heavy dye can show up in urine or feces.
Either way I would recommend having a fecal test done by the vet. Its inexpensive and beats guessing or worrying. It it is a parasite better to get on top of it.
As far as not being friendly try getting him out just before lights out and snuggling him till sleep. I have good luck with timid and flighty dragons by doing that. It takes time but before you know it he will be expecting and demanding it ;-)

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
Some of the signs, such as weight loss or vomiting aren't happening. He has a normal appetite too. He has been irritable, but he's never really been good with anyone since the start. Also, there has been weight loss, but we will see what happens.
This has not happened again, so I presume it was mold. When I thought it was, I did a instant deep clean and washed him. He has been fine so far.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That is good news. Im happy your boy ok

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does sound like an environmental issue, but it can also be from supplementation too.
Hopefully he wont have anymore trouble!

Tracie

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
he just regurgitated everything i fed him yesterday and he didnt sleep last night

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom