Red Eyes

beardieza

Hey! My bearded dragon’s eyes are red and he is not eating. I just noticed that his eyes are red today. Here is a picture and should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 5FFAF939-6A3C-4ADE-BF08-CF78EEC6491C.jpeg
    5FFAF939-6A3C-4ADE-BF08-CF78EEC6491C.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 102

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey! My bearded dragon’s eyes are red and he is not eating. I just noticed that his eyes are red today. Here is a picture and should I be concerned?
What uvb are you using coil or long tube fixture and what kind of basking bulb? You want a clear solid bright white bulb-- no colored or neodyium bulbs- they look blood shot

beardieza

Original Poster
DF5DDE78-93A3-4A40-8701-2AC8E404377A.jpeg

Attachments

• CDEDEE07-97DB-400C-B71D-AAFC768CCF69.jpeg
    CDEDEE07-97DB-400C-B71D-AAFC768CCF69.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DA69701D-29E4-4A75-9F59-AC45BF0F36D2.jpeg
    DA69701D-29E4-4A75-9F59-AC45BF0F36D2.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 56

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That looks to be the ring around his pupil. Did you just notice this then? A lot of them tend to
have that type of look around their eyes.
The rest of the eye primarily the white portion doesn't appear infected really but does have a
little off color to it.
Please review the type/brand of lighting & UVB lighting you are using. It appears you are using
a long tube bulb on top of the screen?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m not sure but I can send you a picture of how it looks and I can send more pictures of his face.
I can see the UVB please tell me the brand and bulb- it needs to be directly over a piece of basking decor- but I need the bulb so I can tell you the distance please

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for posting the bulb for us. This particular brand is Zilla. While I don't believe it is
dangerous, it isn't one of the better bulb brands.
I would recommend changing that out to either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% for
a stronger UVB exposure & they are probably safer, too.
Is your basking bulb a bright white light, too?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also w/ the Zilla are you using the fixture as well - they have clear plastic covers over the bulbs please take it off leave it off exchange that bulb for a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 for now it needs to go inside the tank or NO screen so its unobstructed 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor--- I would recommend getting a T 5 when you can they are a better stronger UVB --- but for now the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 is good they need to be changed out in approx 6 months I recommend 5- the T 5 usually a year -- but I always recommend 10-11 months -- as Tracie recommended the T 5's or the 12% bulb will require a new fixture and they are a better stronger bulb

Dinky26

Beardie name(s)
Mango
10.0 T 8 is good they need to be changed out in approx 6 months I recommend 5- the T 5 usually a year -- but I always recommend 10-11 months -- as Tracie recommended the T 5's or the 12% bulb will require a new fixture and they are a better stronger bulb
My wife and I are fairly new to this reptile thing.
I’ve read that sometimes the bulbs don’t REALLY put out what UVB they say they do.
I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting a solar meter to see what they are really kicking out. Thus it would then prevent us from replacing the bulbs to soon or not soon enough. We now have 4 different reptiles so I’m almost thinking that the $250 for the meter would be worth it.
Thoughts?
Thanks for your input in advance 😊

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’ve read that sometimes the bulbs don’t REALLY put out what UVB they say they do.
I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting a solar meter to see what they are really kicking out. Thus it would then prevent us from replacing the bulbs to soon or not soon enough. We now have 4 different reptiles so I’m almost thinking that the $250 for the meter would be worth it.
Thoughts?
Most people do not have solar meters I for one so I always change the bulb out before the expiration date - and placing distance is extremely important as well - your screen is going to determine that - so since I am not using the solar meter it is better to stay ahead of the date of expiration and having the placement and distance appropriate

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Thoughts?
That's is the only true way of knowing for sure. At 35 to 40 bucks a pop xs 4 if you extend your bulb life by even a couple months per buld the meter will pay for itself. If you catch decaying bulbs early one vet bill you saved pays for the meter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom