Recommendations on rescue beardie. Black tail, pooping sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any1217

So, I just got a 3-4 month old bearded dragon (but I think it might be older?) from a family that couldn’t take care of him. Apparently it was a gift from someone to their youngest son about two months ago. They had the best intentions but the parents were the ones taking care of him/her and decided to rehome.

He was kept with a MVB as uvb/light source and a red bulb for heat. Kept on white vitasand and fed on the tank, no other enrichment other than a single branch. Almost no human interaction (he/she is fligthy and fearful but one thing at a time)

Again, they meant well but did not how to care for him/her. The told me it was a him but I think it might be a her.
Anyway, regardless… I picked it up around 24 h ago.

He seems a good weight (was fed dusted dubias/mealworms) ane greens) however two things worry me. First, the tip of it’s tail is black and seems almost dead. It had stuck shed on it that I gently removed after a bath but I think it’s too late to save it. Suggestions?

Second, he/she is active and ate dubias happily however he/she has pooped once so far… and it was a pile of poop smelling SAND.

He/she is now on paper towels to monitor droppings and in case it drops the tip of the tail. Proper uvb and basking spot with 105-110F basking spot and gradient with lowest temperatures on the 80-85 range.
Again, it seems fine. Ate all the dubias and some greens. Belly seems soft and; other than when I pick it up, no stress marks.

However if there’s anything I can do to help now.. I’ll happily do so… would hate to lose him/her because I didn’t do something to help now.

Pictures in next post. I’m pretty sure it’s a microscale/very smooth leatherback but no idea about parentage or anything like that. Not a hypo/trans that I can tell.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Any1217

Original Poster

The terrarium pictures are how he was kept. A close up of the tail. Doesn’t seem to be in pain when I touch it. And his belly. It’s soft too… thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks for rescuing the little one - he will now have a chance - so many die from improper care and a leather back as well :) So lets go over the husbandry first you say Proper uvb ? I hope your using a long tube fixture- they need proper placement and distance to be effective please tell me what you got- please NO coils ---basking temps are good as long as your using a digital probe thermometer to get those temps - as far as the tail it looks like its getting ready to fall off please get some raw unpasteurized honey on it any kind will work - dunk the tail in it it will kill any infection there and promote healing it does look like the end is going to fall off - watch for infection if there is any or starting the honey is going to kill it you dont want any black creeping up the tail --- make sure there are NO crickets in the tank - they will go straight for the tail -- for substrate you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50-- feed him some canned pumpkin to make him clean his system out - its a good natural laxative -- as long as hes pooping thats a good sign and hes not impacted - rinse his salads before serving thats going to give him hydration which will keep the poops moving -- please NO more meal worms- they can cause impaction w/ the sand and those please stop feeding immediately-- make sure your dusting his dubias 5 x per week ONCE per feeding calcium D3 lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lighting coated - he was eating that sand cuz hes lacking calcium -- but you need a good UVB for him to absorb / synthesize that calcium--- please tell me what your using

Any1217

Original Poster
Hello! Thank you very much Karrie! I’ll get some honey and water his veggies.

I’m only feeding dubias (no crickets or mealies) with calcium but they don’t have extra D3 (I have leopard geckos mostly..), should I change it? I’m also using repashy’s supervite as vitamin supplement for him.

For UVB I’m using a T5 arcardia 12% tube (I’m in europe) and heat with a regular 50w bulb. Temperatures with an infrared gun that I’ve been using with my leos with no issue.

I’ll get the liner for the tank tomorrow.
Is fresh butternut squash ok as a laxative? It’s hard to get canned pumpkin here. Otherwise, something else that might work?

Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The butternut might work you can also get some unsweetened applesauce or baby food prunes - the Arcadia has a reflector in the fixture?? If it doesnt please get one -- also the UVB should be 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece and I am assuming its inside the tank ? -- the Repashy is good but you want calcium w/ D3 -- feed till hes a year then your going to need to back off w/ just reg calcium w / NO phosphorus being given since your using the Arcadia 12% bulb -

Any1217

Original Poster
All right, applesauce wont be a problem. No, no reflector but it is inside the tank…! I’ll get one for it, and change the calcium.

Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom