Recommendations for Picky Eater?

drekiaa

Hi everyone!

So for the past couple of months, my beardie has just been refusing to eat. I have been syringe feeding him, he's been to the vet multiple times, fixed his lighting, tried different insects etc no luck.

Today, my husband comes home with horned worms which we've avoided because they are $10 for 4 at our local pet store but he gobbled them up. Now I'm thinking he's just become incredibly picky.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy horned worms that aren't this expensive, and any suggestions for veggies for Picky eaters? He won't eat kale, collars greens, dandelion greens... Or perhaps how do I make them more enticing?

Thank you!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is your dragon?

If you could post pictures of your setup and your dragon that would help.
Along with posting his weight.

-Brandon

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
i get mine from dubiaroaches.com and ive heard bee pollen works and i got some for my beardie and it didnt work so it might just be preference with the bee pollen idk

drekiaa

Original Poster
How old is your dragon?

If you could post pictures of your setup and your dragon that would help.
Along with posting his weight.

-Brandon
Hello!

He's about 14 months, and weights 365 grams today. (I know this is underweight, he has been to the vet a couple of times but just won't eat. Until today)

Attachments

• IMG_20230119_162318854_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230119_162318854_HDR.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 68

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Depending on his length, 365g might be the right weight for him. Looks like he has a good build up of fat at the base of his tail. Doesn't appear skinny or malnourished from that picture.

How is he with eating his salads? He should be primarily eating salad at this point with bugs only a few times a week. Will he eat salads, just not the greens you've been offering, or not at all?

-Brandon

drekiaa

Original Poster
Depending on his length, 365g might be the right weight for him. Looks like he has a good build up of fat at the base of his tail. Doesn't appear skinny or malnourished from that picture.

How is he with eating his salads? He should be primarily eating salad at this point with bugs only a few times a week. Will he eat salads, just not the greens you've been offering, or not at all?

-Brandon
He won't eat greens, yellow squash, or fruit at all. He basically runs over top of bowl, flails it around and that's all he will do with it.

Are there other food options you may recommend? I probably haven't tried all of them.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's most likely not going to be an issue of taste or preference for him. Beardies can get lazy, and smart, and will often not eat on their own if they are hand fed too often; they also will hold out on eating if they know they will eventually get the food item that they want.

I'd monitor his weight once a week and start showing him some tough love. No bugs at all until he eats his salad. Might take a few days, might take a couple weeks. A healthy dragon will not allow itself to starve. He knows the salad is food, he also knows he doesn't have to eat it because you will eventually give him what he wants... You've got to change that. :)

A small weight loss during this time is to be expected depending on how long he stays stubborn. But in the long run, the health benefits of eating properly far outweigh any potential temporary issues from a small weight loss.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom