Recommendations for more efficient heating

Davisc1293

Beardie name(s)
THOR
My girlfriends dragon is homed in a "reptile habitats" 120 gal 2'x4' enclosure with a screen top and sliding doors. He seems happy and healthy but theres got to be a more efficient way to heat his home. My 7 fish and reef tanks combined use less energy then this one enclosure. She has 2 ceramic heat bulbs, 2 heat lights and a uv. Probably close to 500 watts in just bulbs to keep his basking spot around 100 degrees. whay are some more efficient heat sources or tips to make heating his enclosure more energy efficient. Thank you!

Davisc1293

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
THOR
20221216_130641.jpg

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need one good clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- place the probe on the spot where he basks 10 min or so ---your screen looks like a fine mesh if that is the case please either move it into the tank or unobstruct it- the screen is blocking approx 30% of the rays- the ceramic heat emitters are good for night time heat if the tank is falling below 65 - you want ambient temps of 65-75-

Davisc1293

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
THOR
You need one good clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- place the probe on the spot where he basks 10 min or so ---your screen looks like a fine mesh if that is the case please either move it into the tank or unobstruct it- the screen is blocking approx 30% of the rays- the ceramic heat emitters are good for night time heat if the tank is falling below 65 - you want ambient temps of 65-75-
I find it so strange we need 2 lights and 2 ceramic heaters going to keep his basking spot roughly 100 degrees durning the day. At night the lights go off but the 2 ceramic heaters stay on and the temp drops to the 80s. Our apt is kept warm allways between 73-75 degrees. You make a great point about the screen blocking some heat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I find it so strange we need 2 lights and 2 ceramic heaters going to keep his basking spot roughly 100 degrees durning the day. At night the lights go off but the 2 ceramic heaters stay on and the temp drops to the 80s. Our apt is kept warm allways between 73-75 degrees. You make a great point about the screen blocking some heat.
Not the heat the uvb and you do not want overnight temps at 80- that is too warm - your dragon needs temps 65-75 at night it helps them sleep better and metabolizes their system - your tank will drop to your house temps which is good - the 80's temps is good for the cool side of the tank during the day

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
How are you taking the temps, there is no way with all that running your not overheating him. Please get a digital probe thermometers and place one probe in the basking area. If your using an infrared thermometer gun, those can be extremely inaccurate on some materials. I think you'll find with the probe types that the temps are much higher than you think.

Attachments

• 20220703_150745.jpg
    20220703_150745.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 42

Davisc1293

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
THOR
His basking spot is currently only 102 under all 4 fixtures running. Using a probe thermometer and confirmed with a small desk thermometer I keep on my desk. His basking spot gets down to 80 at night but that is his basking spot directly under the 2 heaters left on at night. He usually sleeps on the other side where I'm sure its closer to ambient temps which is always between 73-75. I cant believe it takes all this running to get to 100 degrees especially as close to the top as it is.

Davisc1293

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
THOR
Is this the probe thermometer- I find it hard to believe too - I don't see the probe on the hammock- something is off w/ all those heat bulbs
The probe is tucked under in the leaf you can make out the black wire in the photo of his hammock. but I did confirm it with the small thermometer i keep on my desk. its 100-105 at the highest point of his basking spot but this is is with all 5 fixtures on!!! And my apt is currently 73

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Is this the probe thermometer- I find it hard to believe too - I don't see the probe on the hammock- something is off w/ all those heat bulbs
What's up with all the fixtures?

You can get rid of them & use an all-in-one MVB.
Remember to replace bulbs when necessary.
500 Watts?
Something is not right.

Get a 125W-150W MVB. Call it good

EDIT:
73 should be fine.

Davisc1293

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
THOR
What's up with all the fixtures?

You can get rid of them & use an all-in-one MVB.
Remember to replace bulbs when necessary.
500 Watts?
Something is not right.

Get a 125W-150W MVB. Call it good

EDIT:
73 should be fine.
We just kept adding more and more fixtures until we could get his basking spot warm enough as we cant bring his basking spot up much higher. I Just found it crazy so many fixtures are needed. And, 500watts may be an exaggeration because I don't remember what each bulb is but 2 of them are 150 watt plus the two ceramic bulbs and the uv.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Thats insane, there has to be something else going on. 300 watts of bulbs should be 130 to 140 degrees or something crazy. Are you using a power strip or something that could be restricting the power to the domes? If your mechanicly/electricly inclined you could use a multi-meter to check available power at you outlets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I agree w/ xp29 -- a MVB is good for heat but not so much UVB -- what kind of domes are you using- you want them to be a reflective dome

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom