Recluse spider.??

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I have some crickets from chewy last night and have been feeding them to Toothless no problem. I opened the box this morning and saw a good sized brown recluse spider in the cricket house, just chillin'. I obviously got rid of it but could it sting a cricket and that poison be transfered to Toothless if I fed him a cricket before it died.? Does that make sense.? Do brown recluse even go after crickets.? Should I get rid of that box of crickets.? I have more in a bigger box from the chewy order so it wouldn't be a huge loss. I just want to make sure Toothless isn't at risk

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Wow this is two threads in a couple weeks about this. I'm guessing brown recluse spiders MUST like crickets. I think any that was bitten would die in a few minutes, just don't feed any dead ones. If you have other crickets feed those first to give any that might have been bitten a chance to die.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Wow this is two threads in a couple weeks about this. I'm guessing brown recluse spiders MUST like crickets. I think any that was bitten would die in a few minutes, just don't feed any dead ones. If you have other crickets feed those first to give any that might have been bitten a chance to die.
That's what I figured. We don't feed them dead or even half dead crickets. I don't even feed them dormant crickets if I can help it. I don't know if it was in the shipment box or if the spider was in the house already and got into our cricket house last night.

It was messed up, I almost stuck my hand down in there with them

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh thats creepy, I'm not afraid of spiders but that still gives me the creeps.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The spider wouldn't transfer any toxins to a beardie even if it bit a cricket. They are venomous, meaning they venom must be injected. If they are eaten, the venom is not like a poison and does not affect them in their digestive system. BTW, are you positive these are brown recluse ? They are a small spider with a violin shape on their head area. If it's a bog brown one it's not likely a recluse.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I have actually shoed wild tarantulas out of the road. My girlfriend was rolling up the windows and about to drive off and leave me out in the desert lol. But i couldn't just leave them to get run over.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
The spider wouldn't transfer any toxins to a beardie even if it bit a cricket. They are venomous, meaning they venom must be injected. If they are eaten, the venom is not like a poison and does not affect them in their digestive system.
Oh okay. So it really poses no threat to Toothless, so long as it doesn't bite him.? That's good to know, I was worried he'd get sick if he ate an infected cricket or something.

I worry too much over him.😅

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I guess this time of year, it will be common. Definitely be careful when you get any crickets
out of the shipments!
Yes, no worries, any venom wouldn't make him sick if there was some in a cricket but it sounds
like you are screening them, before you ever feed them to him. If any appear sluggish, etc, just
setup a separate cricket bin, for recovery in case they were bitten or just road weary from being
shipped.

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

I guess this time of year, it will be common. Definitely be careful when you get any crickets
out of the shipments!
Yes, no worries, any venom wouldn't make him sick if there was some in a cricket but it sounds
like you are screening them, before you ever feed them to him. If any appear sluggish, etc, just
setup a separate cricket bin, for recovery in case they were bitten or just road weary from being
shipped.

Tracie
I definitely screen them before feeding. It's hard to tell which are dormant and which are half-dead so to avoid giving them dead crickets, I just skip over the sluggish bugs. We only found one so far so I'm thinking it must have been in the room and slipped into the cricket house, we had it in our floor the previous night so it probably came from there.

I'm glad to know it can't affect him, I was definitely a little concerned over that concept

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom