Recent YF diagnosis.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
YF is treatable if caught early -

How early is early? How can I tell if he’s progressed into late stage YF or if I still have enough time to treat it.
Tracie would be able to answer that question - but I have seen a lot worse conditions on dragons-- if it is truly YF

JoJoPo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spike
The eye looks a little irritated but not sure of the cause. Can you post a closer pic of the reddish spot on the back looking straight down, as well as the arm areas ?
E9231D85-B04B-40D0-B90D-ABDA1972144A.jpeg

That’s his back today he’s under a bulb so it may look weird. I’ll grab a few more pictures later today.

JoJoPo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spike
The eye looks a little irritated but not sure of the cause. Can you post a closer pic of the reddish spot on the back looking straight down, as well as the arm areas ?
FAD5E887-D258-4490-9165-F38E2D7E2AC0.jpeg

This is his left eye today. He’s very active and basking he also took a poop today which makes me a little glad. However I still haven’t heard anything back from the vet. I’m going to have to call them today because I need to get my hands on some medication.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's confusing because he has natural yellow color, head, beard and that looks like on his legs. The rest of his body is in shed. Was he kept with another dragon at all ? That looks like a bite mark on his back. Males will bite the female [ or even another male ] right in that area when attempting to mate, one of my girls had a similar wound once. Was he near another animal ?

JoJoPo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spike
It's confusing because he has natural yellow color, head, beard and that looks like on his legs. The rest of his body is in shed. Was he kept with another dragon at all ? That looks like a bite mark on his back. Males will bite the female [ or even another male ] right in that area when attempting to mate, one of my girls had a similar wound once. Was he near another animal ?
He hasn’t been around any other bearded dragon in his entire life. All the more reason I’m confused he possibly got YF. I clean his clean his enclosure on a weekly basis.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Try putting some watered down unpasteurized honey on it. Just a tiny bit of water mixed with the honey, it helps to heal most wounds.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those are good pictures, thanks for posting them. Are you sure that he hasn't gotten too close to
his basking light to burn himself?
It looks suspicious, yes, so definitely start with the unpasteurized honey for now since that is safe
to use on the eye areas, etc. I hesitate to suggest using an anti-fungal on the raw areas on the
back of the neck as that might hurt. Maybe consider silver gel also, if the honey doesn't begin to
heal it up.
If this doesn't start to clear up soon, I highly recommend a vet visit, if possible.

Tracie

JoJoPo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spike
Try putting some watered down unpasteurized honey on it. Just a tiny bit of water mixed with the honey, it helps to heal most wounds.
Will do
Hello,

Those are good pictures, thanks for posting them. Are you sure that he hasn't gotten too close to
It looks suspicious, yes, so definitely start with the unpasteurized honey for now since that is safe
to use on the eye areas, etc. I hesitate to suggest using an anti-fungal on the raw areas on the
back of the neck as that might hurt. Maybe consider silver gel also, if the honey doesn't begin to
heal it up.
If this doesn't start to clear up soon, I highly recommend a vet visit, if possible.

Tracie
We recently visited a vet and are waiting to hear back regarding the results. The back may very well be a burn which we are treating with manuca honey and pro-biotics. Other than that though he’s acting perfectly normal besides eating a little less than he has in the past. I’ll get back to you on updates.

JoJoPo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spike
Hello,

heal it up.

Tracie
Okay I just heard back from the Vet regarding some of his test results and they want to prescribe injection antibiotics for his back. They also got back to me on his organ functions and told me everything is working as normal which is great news. They haven’t gotten back to me regarding the fungus results as those will take a few more days but I’m really hopeful right now.

JoJoPo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spike
Okay I just heard back from the Vet regarding some of his test results and they want to prescribe injection antibiotics for his back. They also got back to me on his organ functions and told me everything is working as normal which is great news. They haven’t gotten back to me regarding the fungus results as those will take a few more days but I’m really hopeful right now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did the blood work show infection? If you have it post it so Tracie can see - she can read the results

JoJoPo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spike
Hello,

heal it up.

Tracie
Did the blood work show infection? If you have it post it so Tracie can see - she can read the results
I wasn’t sent the blood work however I can email asking for it. I’m also going back to the vet to pick up the prescription on either Monday or Wednesday. I’m hesitant however to start the antibiotics because I’ve heard prescribing them while a beardie may possibly be suffering from a fungus doesn’t make sense.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom