raw lips! mouth rot? photos included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea112307

Noticed raw lips on bearded dragon about a month ago, they lasted a couple weeks then went away for a bit. I figured it was just from rubbing against his log, but now its back. There are also black spots and the inner raw part is a yellow-ish color with no more scales. He went in his cave for a few days but now he's back out and eating. His behavior appears normal. I put a little betadine on it today, but i am still pretty worried. Could it be mouth rot? Will it go away? Is betadine enough to treat it? what can i do without taking him to the vet?
Thanks

fktidh.jpg

348hfo7.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
It looks like a bacterial infection of the skin. I would seek a vet for assistance at this point as it appears to be progressed into a necrotic infection. If you are using any loose substrate please remove it for the time being (at least), to help with the healing. This dragon should get antibiotics. Please seek a knowledgeable vet.

ataraxia

Hatchling Member
that is called mouth rot. you do need a vet attention. in the meantime you can use Tobramycin or Gentamycin opthalmic solution. i doubt you have either and will probably have to have a vet prescribe it.

if this was not caused from direct injury from a fight or feeder..i know in other lizards mouth rot is a sign of secondary infection. you need a vet to figure out if your dragon has a more serious infection going on.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It does appear to be a bacterial infection & possibly mouth rot. He needs treatment quickly before it spreads further on his mouth area.
The Gentamicin would be a great antibiotic ointment to use, or even Silvadene in which the vet should have either for you.
What are the temperatures in your tank & what type of thermometer do you use?

Tracie

Andrea112307

Original Poster
The thermometers in his indoor terrarium are regular Petsmart ones. I think the brand is Zoomeds or the one that has the word "reptile" in it (sorry I cannot check atm). We have a gauge thermometer and the strip one. The hottest spot is about 90-100s I believe the cooler spot is 76-80 (room temp) during some parts of the day this summer we keep him out in the sun in his outdoor terrarium because the temps in my area at this time ranges from 96-106. We have a vet appointment for him this Saturday. As I mentioned before, he had this same raw mouth a month ago and it cleared up completely. I think it it starting to clear up again this time, but I will still be taking him to the vet.
Thanks everyone for your input, I can keep you posted if you'd like.

Andrea112307

Original Poster
So the vet said it was not mouth rot but could develop into it, he said it was a bacterial infection. He gave my bearded dragon an anti-bacterial shot and prescribed the silvadene cream which I have to put on twice a day. I feel bad rubbing cream over his nose and lips, but he doesn't seem to mind. Its gotten alot better, but looks like the area I put the cream on only is starting to peel, or maybe it's the dried up ointment. I can't seem to figure out. Anyone know if that ointment is suppose to make him peel?
Anyway, thanks everyone for ur input.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you got him to the vet!
The silvadene is an excellent cream & is safe for that area. It will help heal the skin & the area will appear darker than normal. Eventually it should scab over really well to allow fresh scales to begin forming. At least he doesn't seem to mind the treatment anyway!
Which antibiotic did he get for this infection?
How is he doing otherwise?
I hope he is feeling better soon.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom