Rankins.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
According to Google, I have a Rankins dragon, which is starkly different from your everyday bearded dragon.? Can someone identify, maybe.?

It wouldn't matter to me, necessarily, we were discussing the possibility of babies and I came across it and it got me thinking as to what kind he is and when I used Google lense on him, Rankin's Dragon came up.

Attachments

• 20220914_101021.jpg
    20220914_101021.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220914_102621.jpg
    20220914_102621.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 63

Echoing

Beardie name(s)
Echo
According to Google, I have a Rankins dragon, which is starkly different from your everyday bearded dragon.? Can someone identify, maybe.?

It wouldn't matter to me, necessarily, we were discussing the possibility of babies and I came across it and it got me thinking as to what kind he is and when I used Google lense on him, Rankin's Dragon came up.
Its seems that the rankins dragon has a smaller lifespan and is slightly smaller than a bearded dragon.
The rankins dragon lives 6-10 years and grows to 12 inches compared to a bearded dragon the bearded dragons that can grow up to 24 inchs and lives 10-15 years.

So to be totally honest rankins dragons are just smaller beardies but make sure to research it so you don't give it the wrong care.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Its seems that the rankins dragon has a smaller lifespan and is slightly smaller than a bearded dragon.
The rankins dragon lives 6-10 years and grows to 12 inches compared to a bearded dragon the bearded dragons that can grow up to 24 inchs and lives 10-15 years.

So to be totally honest rankins dragons are just smaller beardies but make sure to research it so you don't give it the wrong care.
So, mine looks like a Rankins.? He's only about 2 1/2 months old but is already about 8ish inches. I can't ever tell with identifying types and stuff and just want to give him proper care.

Echoing

Beardie name(s)
Echo
So, mine looks like a Rankins.? He's only about 2 1/2 months old but is already about 8ish inches. I can't ever tell with identifying types and stuff and just want to give him proper care.
I would recommend searching up care and seeing the correct way to care for them as they apparently are harder than your "normal" beardie.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I would recommend searching up care and seeing the correct way to care for them as they apparently are harder than your "normal" beardie.
Well, I don't want to give him the wrong care, if he happens to be a regular central bearded. I don't know if treating him like a Rankins, when he's just a central, would affect his health or anything like that. I have no way of knowing what kind he really is.

Echoing

Beardie name(s)
Echo
Well, I don't want to give him the wrong care, if he happens to be a regular central bearded. I don't know if treating him like a Rankins, when he's just a central, would affect his health or anything like that. I have no way of knowing what kind he really is.
How spiky is your dragon?

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
As someone who has owned many rankin dragons, he doesn’t look to be a rankins to me. It could be that he is just a slow grower, like my youngest rankin dragon. Just keep doing research!

Echoing

Beardie name(s)
Echo
As someone who has owned many rankin dragons, he doesn’t look to be a rankins to me. It could be that he is just a slow grower, like my youngest rankin dragon. Just keep doing research!
Apparently their head is smaller so I wanted to see a photo from above but it seems you have your knowledge.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Rankins are pretty rare, the idds of getting one without knowing are pretty slim as well. Any breeder that has them is going to make a big deal about it when he sells them. Reptile shops as well. Box stores like petsmart or petco use animal milks for there stock and is even less likely to have on. I'm not saying it's impossible but it is highly unlikely.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
How spiky is your dragon?
He has spikes all down each side, on the back of his legs and I believe under his chin, but I could be wrong. He has them on his cheeks so I'd imagine they're on his chin. If you zoom in on the close up one, you can see theine of spikes down his side.

I though Rankins were rare but google lense came back with that bread but I'm guessing it's just because of his pattern. Early in the morning, before he is stressed about just existing, his color is pretty vibrant, he has a lot of reddish/brown

Attachments

• 20220913_123653.jpg
    20220913_123653.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220911_174946.jpg
    20220911_174946.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 61

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
So you don't think he's a rankins.? I can't tell if he's growing fast or slow, we've only had him two weeks, I think. He looks a bit bigger. Fatter, at least. 😅😅

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
very cute
What's your opinion of sepia bones (cuttlefish bone).? I read it's super good for them in calcium and other trace minerals but I wasn't sure. I'm afraid he'll choke since they're kind of hard-ish.?

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom