Rankin hatchlings help

malnuman

Hi all, just joined and seeking help/advice, my clutch of 12 Rankins eggs have all hatched in the last 3/4 days, they all seem ok and active, however they have not touched the nymph dubia or any chopped up greens, is this normal for new borns, I did read they eat like mad just after birth, so it's a bit concerning at the mo.. thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all, just joined and seeking help/advice, my clutch of 12 Rankins eggs have all hatched in the last 3/4 days, they all seem ok and active, however they have not touched the nymph dubia or any chopped up greens, is this normal for new borns, I did read they eat like mad just after birth, so it's a bit concerning at the mo.. thanks
Need AHBD to respond to this
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How exciting, can you post pics ? It usually takes a few days before they eat so it's normal. Within a few days you'll see them start eating if they are healthy . I've hatched normal p.vitticeps but they would be the same in that aspect. One thing you can do to keep them hydrated and also give them a chance to eat some greens is to put a flat lid from a plastic container and put a soft, whole leafy green on it such as turnip or mustard. You can shred the edges a little but leave them intact , keeping the leaf whole but edges looking fringy and easy to be bitten off. Keep the leaf misted and they may congregate for the droplets and try a bite of greens as well. Of course you will offer the insects a few at a time daily until the babies start eating those .

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Yes pictures pleade :)

malnuman

Original Poster
How exciting, can you post pics ? It usually takes a few days before they eat so it's normal. Within a few days you'll see them start eating if they are healthy . I've hatched normal p.vitticeps but they would be the same in that aspect. One thing you can do to keep them hydrated and also give them a chance to eat some greens is to put a flat lid from a plastic container and put a soft, whole leafy green on it such as turnip or mustard. You can shred the edges a little but leave them intact , keeping the leaf whole but edges looking fringy and easy to be bitten off. Keep the leaf misted and they may congregate for the droplets and try a bite of greens as well. Of course you will offer the insects a few at a time daily until the babies start eating those .
Thanks, that's reassured me , was starting to fret, I have been misting, but will also try the method you suggest, will try and sort out a pic ,

malnuman

Original Poster
Couple pics, they were mainly on the rocks, but soon as I approached most of them scattered, lol..

Attachments

• rankins1.jpg
    rankins1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 73
  • rankins2.jpg
    rankins2.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 69

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh my!!!! I'm pretty sure if you look up cuteness in the dictionary there will be pictures of baby dragons. I'm so jealous 😫 😩 😆

malnuman

Original Poster
Saw a couple eating some dubia that escaped, which was good, what I want to know though is I got some hatchling crickets, but they are wayyyy to tiny, would I need size 1 or 2? Thanks

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I was looking at your pictures (again lol) and noticed the bowl the dubias are in. Even though its shallow its still a maybe just a bit tall for your babies to see the dubias in there. That might be why they aren't going crazy to eat them. (Just a thought).
Anyways they are friggen adorable.

malnuman

Original Poster
I was looking at your pictures (again lol) and noticed the bowl the dubias are in. Even though its shallow its still a maybe just a bit tall for your babies to see the dubias in there. That might be why they aren't going crazy to eat them. (Just a thought).
Anyways they are friggen adorable.
Yeah that was a concern I had, I didnt want to just throw them in the viv as they would just hide, I have tried putting the dragons and some dubia in a sep bare container but still no luck.. hopefully as they get more hungry they will find them ... I'm looking at crickets, but not sure what size to get

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As long as you keep the basking perches close where the babies are elevated, the babies will eventually jump down in the bowl to get the insects. As for the crickets, what company are you thinking of using so I can see the sizes ?

malnuman

Original Poster
As long as you keep the basking perches close where the babies are elevated, the babies will eventually jump down in the bowl to get the insects. As for the crickets, what company are you thinking of using so I can see the sizes ?
Live foods direct on eBay do 500 size 1 for £6, that's not to bad, lot cheaper than Dubias I'm buying .. but I'm thinking after seeing the cricket hatchlings I may need size 2

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I couldn't see anything because it said not available in my area. You're in the U.K. , funny that it wouldn't show me the products though. In the U.S. the cricket vendor might advertise as pinhead [ way too small] then by fractions of inches 1/16, 1/8 then 1/4 + up . You'd probably go with something that is the 1/8 size converted to centimeters. Be very sure they understand the size you need for these tiny Rankin's babies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom