R.I.P. Saffron, my dragon baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still relatively new to this forum and I would have posted in the help area yesterday, but very sadly my baby girl passed before I even had a chance.

Her name was Saffron, or Saffy for short. She was an amazing dragon! She was inquisitive, gentle, and she was my introduction to the world of Beardies. We got her, and not long after two more Beardies, from a friend. Unfortunately we are not sure how old she was, though by the info we had she was at least 6+ at her passing. She entered my life in April 2014... and she passed from this mortal realm April 10, 2015. Though she was only a part of my life for a year, she will be in my heart forever and a much loved member of my eternal family.

79047-4655457856.jpg

Over the past year we've had a couple bouts with parasites, which she had when we got her. She was a little malnourished but we got her plump and happy. I learned that she loved to swim in the tub during her baths, that she was a fraidy dragon when it came to trees (the leaves made her nervous, but I think she was just smart and knew that predators lived in trees!), and that she really couldn't stand our male dragon Torch (they used to sit across the room from each other and I think she grew tired of his constant 'hey baby' head bobbing - don't worry, we'd moved her to the same side and she was much happier when she couldn't see him anymore). Most of all though, I learned just how awesome bearded dragons were and how much I could love my little scaly baby.

The end came all too soon, and much too quickly. On Monday she was acting normal though I had noticed that she seemed a bit lighter lately weight wise. Tuesday she was kinda lethargic but was more than happy to eat three Superworms. Wednesday she still seemed kinda blah and when I was feeding her some corn in the late afternoon I noticed her tongue seemed pale. She didn't eat much that day and with the weight loss and pale tongue I had decided to call the vet the next day. Well, the next day was the beginning of the end. Thursday morning we found her on her basking ledge surrounded by a viv filled with bloody stool. It was literally everywhere. She was rushed to the vet, unfortunately we live in a rural town 90 miles from the nearest exotic vet, but our local vet was able to do X-rays and stool test. We learned she had in fact lost some weight, and as I already suspected, that she was very anemic, had basically zero gut flora, and, basically was dying. The vet indicated she might have days to live.

We took her home, did lots of research, got advice from the local Herp store who has very knowledgeable owners, and started giving our Saffy vitamin packed fluids, kept her warm, gave her Baytril injections, bought baby food, Pedialyte, and did everything we read and were advised to do. She was still moving around quite a bit Thursday, and had even walked around normally at the vet (she kept wanting to walk on the floor and off the towel we laid down for her). Friday, the next day, and the day we were looking into taking her to the herp vet...well, we never got the chance. I gave her a bath in the morning, and discovered she was much more lethargic than the day before. My husband had to work a few hours that day and shortly after he got home she vomited violently clear fluids, the water she drank in her bath (that was SO difficult to see, I don't think I will ever get that scene out of my mind). We decided to give her a bit of time to recover from the vomiting before attempting more food and water (she had been drinking but not eating at all since the corn on Wed.) I offered a plea to Heaven that we would be guided in her care, and that if it was her time, that it would be quick and peaceful for her. Sadly I received the impression that she would be 'going home'. My husband and I rested for about 30 minutes as the past two days had been brutal emotionally and we wanted to give her a chance to settle after the vomiting incident. He checked on her when he got up and he said she seemed alert. When my sons came home shortly thereafter my husband said he got the strong impression that something was wrong with Saffy, he went quickly in to check on her... and she was gone. She had climbed down from her basking spot to lay on her favorite perch and then slipped from this life into eternity.

I am a person of faith, and I know that we will be with our loved ones again, two legged, four legged, fins or fur, or scales in my baby's case. I know that she will be waiting for me, with the rest of the menagerie that already awaits. Someday we will be together again, and that day will be forever, never to part.

In the meantime I shall miss my Saffron, my Sassafras baby, and the beautiful creature that she was, and always will be. She was a gorgeous Sandfire Tiger with the most awesome orange beard, gold bright eyes, and was the best snuggle buddy I had. I hate to say goodbye, so I will say, until we meet again...all my love to my girl, my beardie, my baby. Here she is in all her beauty.
79047-1564505920.jpg
79047-3706933689.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom