R.I.P. Pinky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, as I went in to check on her, I found that Pinky had passed. She was the last of my three bearded dragons, who all lived good long lives. Pinky started to slow down on her eating in recent months. It was difficult to keep her energy up. She started to lose a lot of weight. This was how it was for my other two beardies (Brain and Cailyth [BD.org co-founder]). They lost appetite and weight quickly near the end. With Pinky it took a little longer. A few weeks ago, I even ordered a bunch of Phoenix worms in hopes of improving her appetite (she always loved them). She did eat a good number of them at first, although I did have to put them in front of her. She had lost a lot of her strength. But this last week, she wanted nothing to do with anything.

Earlier this week, I gave her a bath (she loved her baths) which she seemed to enjoy. I helped her pass a poop that needed to go. I then placed her in a warm spot of the enclosure all comfy. She'd started to get to the point that she couldn't really walk much. I came in and fed her a few Phoenix worms if she would eat them. She pretty much didn't move from the spot I put her in all week. Well, today, I found her in that same position, but without any life in her. I was actually just telling someone last night via PM, that Pinky may not last the end of the year. I guess I was right, unfortunately. But I came to recognize the signs of "the ends" after my first two beardies had passed from old age.

It is sad, but Pinky lived nearly 11 years (10 years 8 months, I think). She had a full life. I will tell a little of her tale, here.

pinkymemorial01.jpg

Pinky came with her sister, Brain. They were my 2nd and 3rd beardies, after having had Cailyth for nearly a year. Pinky had a week when she was very young that she didn't eat for some reason. I have always attributed that to being the reason why she's always been about an inch or so smaller than her sister. But Pinky was spunky! She may have been smaller than her sister, but she was always the one in charge and "hanging out on top".

pinkymemorial02.jpg

Pinky and Brain grew up together. I kept them housed together as they never showed any signs of aggression. It was cute how they even slept cuddled together often times. Here we have Pinky and Brain enjoying a warm hand rail that had been sitting in the sun on a warm summer day...

pinkymemorial04.jpg

Pinky didn't have any other health issues through her life. While both Brain and Cailyth had a couple times where they seemed "sick" as indicated by a major loss in appetite and weight (both always nursed back to health until their final days), Pinky was always hungry and full of energy throughout her life.

Pinky also LOVED her baths! Cailyth liked his. Brain was indifferent, but Pinky... she LOVED them. She would get all full of energy and splash around like a little kid. Sometimes I would put a large water dish in the girls' enclosure and it was always pinky would would dive right in, splashing around and making a mess of the enclosure.

pinkymemorial05.jpg

Overall, Pinky was a great bearded dragon. She will most certainly be missed!

pinkymemorial03.jpg

She is the last of my bearded dragons. At this point, I'm uncertain if I will get another any time soon. My life is in a different place than it was 11 years ago. Perhaps again someday. But don't worry. Just because I don't have any bearded dragons of my own, doesn't mean I don't still care about them and ensuring people find good information to take better care of their own! BeardedDragon.org will continue on, and I will still be working to keep things running smoothly and working with the moderators on site issues. One of my hobbies is computers, so I enjoy even that aspect of running the website. In fact, I think I will be planning a server upgrade early next year as we've grown a bit more lately and are "feeling it" with the server.

Anyway... everyone please take a moment to wish Pinky well in Beardie-heaven.

Pinky, you will be missed! Please say hello to Cailyth and Brain for me.

PS- I learned from my early mistakes with substrates... please don't use wood chipping substrate (as seen in the pictures). It's not the safest/best for beardies.

Last edited:

curtbone123

Juvie Member
i am so sorry to hear about pinky dieing :cry: why does it seems like all of your beardies dont live longer than 10 years thats kind of strange :?

Livey

Extreme Poster
curtbone123":27u4dxl9 said:
i am so sorry to hear about pinky dieing :cry: why does it seems like all of your beardies dont live longer than 10 years thats kind of strange :?

10 years is a very long time to live x

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Livey":2k7i604m said:
curtbone123":2k7i604m said:

10 years is a very long time to live x
no what i meant was all her beardies had died under 10 years and there are alot that live like 20 something years you see what i mean why did hers only live for 10 years?

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Actually, 1 lived 9.5 years. The other two lived 10.5 to 10.8 years or so.

While people occasionally hear of the 20-25 year old bearded dragon, it's not "a lot". I've never actually known anyone first hand who actually had a dragon that lived that long. 10 years old for a dragon is probably along the lines of being about 75-85 years old in human years. It's the upper end of average (for old age death). The stories we hear of the 20 year old beardie would be like people who live over 100. They're not very common.

A lot of factors can play into the maximum age for a beardie, including the blood lines themselves.

But basically, 10 years is a very full life span for a beardie. 20 is not common. I'd love to actually see a picture of a 20 year old bearded dragon. So far, I only hear the stories, but nothing more. It's possible, and probably, but other than people passing along the hearsay, I don't know of any in actuality.

Anyway... thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. I'm doing fine. It's weird though to not have any reptiles in my house. I've had reptiles since 1996 (a snake and my bearded dragons). And I had them (snakes) as a kid. It's just weird to have such a significant phase/aspect of my life come to an end (for now).

changilass

Hatchling Member
So sorry to hear about Pinky, thanks for sharing her story with us.

Hopefully you will feel able to rekindle this phase in your life and offer a forever home to another beardie in the future, you are obviously a loving parent and any future 'kids' would be lucky to have you in their lives.

curtbone123

Juvie Member
beardie":2nasqc2d said:
Actually, 1 lived 9.5 years. The other two lived 10.5 to 10.8 years or so.

While people occasionally hear of the 20-25 year old bearded dragon, it's not "a lot". I've never actually known anyone first hand who actually had a dragon that lived that long. 10 years old for a dragon is probably along the lines of being about 75-85 years old in human years. It's the upper end of average (for old age death). The stories we hear of the 20 year old beardie would be like people who live over 100. They're not very common.

A lot of factors can play into the maximum age for a beardie, including the blood lines themselves.

But basically, 10 years is a very full life span for a beardie. 20 is not common. I'd love to actually see a picture of a 20 year old bearded dragon. So far, I only hear the stories, but nothing more. It's possible, and probably, but other than people passing along the hearsay, I don't know of any in actuality.

Anyway... thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. I'm doing fine. It's weird though to not have any reptiles in my house. I've had reptiles since 1996 (a snake and my bearded dragons). And I had them (snakes) as a kid. It's just weird to have such a significant phase/aspect of my life come to an end (for now).
oh ok i was really excited to hear that they live like 20 something years cuz 10 years its good little long timebut not as muchas 20 years i mean i want a dragon that can live more longer and nothave a short lifespan butlike i said 10 years is not bad but not that long either (R.I.P pinky) :(

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
curtbone123":dx5lov67 said:
oh ok i was really excited to hear that they live like 20 something years cuz 10 years its good little long timebut not as muchas 20 years i mean i want a dragon that can live more longer and nothave a short lifespan butlike i said 10 years is not bad but not that long either (R.I.P pinky) :(
Yeah... 10 years is not a super long time... but about that of most dogs too. It's never quite long enough, but 10 years, when you look back on it, is a LOT of time. I'm just amazed how much has happened in my life in 10 years. That's more than a quarter of my life. Wow.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Alex I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost your Pinky. Though like you said all your beardies lived a full life. I have heard of one that was euthanized by Dr. Wentz last year that lived to be 19 or 20....but like you said that's really a rarity. Ten years for a captive breed and kept beardie is really good. :wink:

R.I.P. Pinky...

Again Alex I'm very saddened to hear you have lost the last of your beardie crew. :cry:

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
I am so sorry Alex :cry:
Her story and pictures are beautiful,I love the way she splashed around in the water :D Thank you for sharing with us.

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Alex,

I am so very, very sorry to hear about your loss of Pinky. Even though you knew that it was coming, as her health had been failing for the past few months it's never easy to see them go, and the hurt won't truly go away for a very long time. However, at least she knew how much she was loved, and she went quickly and peacefully, in her sleep, with very little pain. And she's with Cailyth and Brain now and they can be together again, while they wait at Rainbow Bridge with all the others who have gone before.

If you need to talk, I'm here, and again I am so very sorry for your loss.

Hugs,
Denise

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Alex I am so sorry to hear this. :cry: Keep your head up! RIP Pinky..

My oldest was 17 years old and was documented with our local vet however she retired but I am sure the records are still their. If you want pictures I could very well dig them up.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Cool. You're the first first-hand person that I've heard has an older beardie. :) 17 years is a good LONG time for a beardie! :)

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
He had passed away sometime ago but we believe he was from the old stock. He lived up to his age. Towards the end he went blind and did not want to move much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom